Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hallway murder scene

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
Here's a scene i'm working on to learn UDK and build a portfolio piece. It's a hallway that's going to be a murder scene.

4639468515_5b4da4000b_b.jpg
4639468681_93a54e7ee0_b.jpg
4640076758_ac0bb0b69b_b.jpg

still got quite a list of things i need to finish on this. I plan on the final presentation to be an animation where the camera will start by fading in from white while looking out the window. then pull back down the hallway till it shows a dead body lying in the open door. planning on having the hand on the welcome mat there (mainly cause i think it will show off the bloodstain nicely).

Still need to model the apartment interior, the dead body, and some things to spice up the hallway like a fire hydrant and emergency lighting.

The glass is just a placeholder right now. I stole one of the glass mats from UDK and spent 5 mins editing it.

.....and yes i know how much you guys like grunge. i will be grunging it up but only slightly. I want it to look like a murder in a upper middle class type apartment complex. so nothing too crazy grungewise.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i take it the materials are temporary... could use alot of love if not...to uniform in colour and bump atm

also dado rails and skirting are ripe for quick HP action instead of modeling

electric lights catch dirt in them add this to the diffuse and emmisive maps and it will look 100 timez betterz garunteed
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i take it the materials are temporary... could use alot of love if not...to uniform in colour and bump atm

also dado rails and skirting are ripe for quick HP action instead of modeling

electric lights catch dirt in them add this to the diffuse and emmisive maps and it will look 100 timez betterz garunteed

i wouldn't say the textures are temporary, just the best i know how to do at the moment. This is only the 2nd scene i have textured so far. I've gotten to the point where i dont know how to make them better. Not sure how to add color variations without the tiling looking really really easy to spot.

i didn't do HP modeling on the moulding cause i wasn't sure on how to go about doing it and making them tileable still. will look into that.

Definately going to be adding dirt to the lights. my to do list on this scene is still monstrous. but i thought it's time to get a bit of feedback.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please tell me theres gonna be blood and body parts... oh please oh please:O
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    one thing you could try is tiling the normal map but only tiling the diffuse horizontally, that would give you a degree of detail while allowing nice colour variations
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    The sense of scale seems off, but I can't quite put my finger on it. To me, the window and the door look too big compared to the corridor. Did you use scale reference? It might be nothing but that's the first thing that came to mind when I saw it.

Also, the textures would really benefit from some more variation. No need to grunge it to smithereens, just make it look lived in. Right now it's just 3 or 4 base colors. To keep it simple, a bit of shading and gradients would go a long way, maybe even an ambient occlusion bake?
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Very clean, no sign of foul play going on here...