[Portfolio] – Patrick Link, Envrionment Artist

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatrickL polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the things labled level design most, i would focus on those, and provide more than one screenshots from the levels, probably show your assets in use in a level you've built, rather than standalone. I also hate the yellow brick weird showcase level you have for showing off the individual assets.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Remove any WIP or "Empty" thumbnail work. By that I mean the sections because there are some pieces in your WIP area that leave your complete pieces wanting. For example, that dark sci-fi hall labeled "Level Design" blows all the completed pieces individually out of the water. Some of these levels need to be presented as final pieces due to their current quality over other works, and of course update the images as your progress.

Speaking of which, lots of little props presented as separate pieces. Why not just plop all these things down in relevant scenes. The idea is to get it all together to reduce the total clicks so a greater variety of your work is seen. This is especially important to an environment artist that wants to show a cohesive scene.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the level design being your strongest work so far. Honestly I'd make a day of spring cleaning. You really need to be honest with yourself about what pieces show off my BEST work.

The stalls with the plants in them is not working for you. Nor is anything else really shown in that level. You have A LOT of wip's. That asks the question in my mind if you can complete anything to final.

The levels are good, but unfortunately screenshots (especially single ones) dont showcase level design well... they are a good hook, but having the levels downloadable, or even a description would do you well. What kind of levels are there? What is the flow? Is there a schematic you can show me that portrays a good level design?

The assets you created are passable, not too bad, but theres nothign in there that really grabs me. Everything is pretty simple and nothing really jaw dropping.

Are the level design pieces your modeling and texturing too? Or is it just level design. Make that clear.

I definately think you need to work more on texturing. The simple stuff like the barrel or the market stand has some very simple unwrapping or stretch uv's... that kind of stuff...

I dont mean to be harsh, but hope this stuff helps you improve!
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, exactly the feedback I was after. I'll be revising my site based on the information here, and I'll get back once the changes have been made.

Please keep the feedback coming, as I'm always looking for ways to improve!
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Casey is that you?
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosey_G wrote: »
    Casey is that you?

Indeed, it is! I've lurked sites like gameartists, cgsociety, gamedev, and the like for years, but I haven't been to Polycount in a very long time. After seeing all the buzz about it's new website, I decided to sign up.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with the others here, I think individually your stuff is weaker than it would be if you had a completed environment, but you already know that :P A lot of your props could actually be propagated (lol) into one environment. You obviously have the engine knowledge to make that happen.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amadreaus wrote: »
    I'm with the others here, I think individually your stuff is weaker than it would be if you had a completed environment, but you already know that :P A lot of your props could actually be propagated (lol) into one environment. You obviously have the engine knowledge to make that happen.

This seals the deal then. All future additions to my portfolio will be based around completed environments, with additional pictures of the individual props and their respective information. For level design, I believe I'll do a short fly-through of the levels with my own narration to help explain the flow and various design aspects. (Does that sound appropriate for a portfolio?)

I've always meant to do this sort of thing with my portfolio, but I just never seem to have gotten around to it. Big changes are on their way. I'll update again when I've got some stuff worth showing off.