Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Clansman

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Cyrael wrote: »
    *tap tap on your shoulder* *whispers* -this is big johns work not 3D-209, he just did a color correction pass..

cheers for the correction
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Loving the textures!

I like what 3D-209 did to the metal, cloth and leather but I like the flesh in the original a lot more. I think the AO comes out a bit too much in the paint over and makes it look more like a dirty marble statue than flesh and hair, especially in the face.

He seems a little clean, especially for someone who has been picking up pieces of armor from fallen enemies from what's probably a muddy, bloody battle field? Maybe its time for a dirt pass?

I agree with this! Apologies for the skin on my paintover, the overall hue/saturation/levels darkened it up and killed it a bit too much. I think the color around his face in your version works pretty well, but you still might want to push the hue of the body slightly more orange than pink. Not spray-tan oiled-up muscle man style, but a more natural tan from being out in the sun beating ass.

Something closer to this value?

muscle-man.jpg

I also think as you work on the spec map more it should be toned down on his body. Unless he's sweating, people's faces are often a bit more oily than their arms/bodies. A little glisten on the face/sun burnt nose works, but usually makes a body feel too plastic.

Lastly, I agree that dirtying up the skin would go a long way.

Great work though, looking forward to seeing more! :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    3D-209 - Thanks man! That helped a lot. Really appreciate the effort. About the skin, I figured since he's Scottish, he wouldn't really tan but freckle-up, which is what happens to me in the sun. So I'm not sure tanning him up is a good idea, but I may push the orange freckles a bit more so that's clear.
    buddikaman - heh I'm planning on it. Once I get his weapon done. Thanks dude.
    Vig - Thanks dude. I kept him clean on purpose. Unless this shot is like mid-combat, which it's not, he wouldn't really be dirty. The idea is that he and his "clothes" (the kilt really) are new and clean, cause he takes care of himself. But the armor is older and somewhat used. Maybe that's not the way to go though... not sure. I'll have to try it and see what I think. Thanks for the advice.
    ae. - Thanks man
    doeseph - Thanks dude, appreciate it :) Can't believe I'm in someone's inspiration folder...
    whats_true - lol! Well, I always admired these guys for wearing a kilt to combat. Imagine an MMA fighter today fighting in a dress or something... Figured if you're gonna do that, at least have some protection.

Couple of updates for tonight. Playing with the colors and balance a bit on the texture, plus all the awesome recommendations you guys gave. Also started on the weapon, gonna be a big two handed claymore (of course :) )

Scotsman_WIP_029.jpg
    Scotsman_WIP_030.jpg
    Sword_WIP_001.jpg

Youtube version:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szC03GoSJL0&hd=1[/ame]
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately loving this. This is so awesome lol. I am going to be doing a celtic warrior shrine and this is great inspirations haha. I'm loving the sword as well. Definately going to keep following this thread keep it up!