Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Square Concrete Block Thingy

Just a small prop I've been making for Firearms: Source. I'm supposed to submit it to be compiled this week, so while I'd love some feedback, please don't propose any major changes. ;)

It is based off something I found behind the local bowling alley. I sculpted a really basic outline in ZBrush, then worked on the rest of it in Max.

103fu3n.jpg
2qs2wkg.jpg
2d0b2ip.jpg
1zokgg4.jpg

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    You can make the seams on the hard edges dissapear if you break your UVs on them.
    Personally I'd use less polies on the flat faces, and bevel/chamfer your edges to get an overall silhouette closer to your hipoly (especially on the broken corner), the inner faces here aren't really adding much.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    This is a completely crappy paintover with not very well thought out topology but I'm just trying to demonstrate Bal's point. After you have sculpted the model you don't need to worry about tri's so much in the low poly model... so you can save geometry. But like he said... kill some of the polygon's making up the flat faces (the normal map is going to be at work here anyways) and bevel the edges so they aren't so crisp.

blockidea.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Stone wouldn't be so smooth at the edges unless it was molded that way...you could have done a lot more to make this asset visually interesting... also your texture is a bit dull.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) Rebar has ribs, right now it looks like copper tubing. The ribs are there to help the concrete grab onto the bar.

2) It would have helped to have the rebar in there when you did the sculpting, that way you could have built up/down around the base of the bars which would help the bar look less "placed and floaty".

3) The damage to the concrete looks a bit more like acid on styrofoam. A little more ref on damaged concrete would pull up mountains of easy to replicate ref.

4) Eat3D has a great damaged pillar tutorial that covers pretty much everything you need to know.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could have done a lot more to make this asset visually interesting

Please elaborate.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Please elaborate.

I think he is referring to how you could have busted most of the edges up.. maybe even sculpted in the cracks yourself. A variety of texture could be nice too, a lot of time concrete isn't so basic in texture.

Vig has a point on the rebar. I didn't even notice that you didn't do that, but it does have ribs on it.

pillar_dvd_front.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    perhaps some rush streaking from the exposed reinforcing rods, or some worn paint on the stone would help with the interest thing?
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update. I still have to add the ribbing to the rods. Any other texture suggestions?

30wmque.jpg
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress.
    34g4r38.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the rebar/metal looks way too smooth, there should be ridges. The corners should be sharper/rougher on the block.
  • StealthSilver
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final update tonight. I need to go play a game or something.

2v9qhw1.jpg
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Hey dude, just a few things i think you could do to boost the quality:

- Take a concrete texture and run it through CrazyBump, set it up so that the map is sharp, usually 90 fine detail / 60 sharpness / 50 intensity, turn everything else down.

- Overlay it onto your geometry normals in PS, turn off the Blue channel in channels for the new normal map.

- Maybe revisit your Diffuse, using alot smaller textures to get defined detail, to me the diffuse looks a bit low in resolution.

That's about all i can say about it so far, it's a real good base, you just need to do some more work in the texturing and get a nice render set-up for it then voila.