Home Technical Talk

Hard Surface Modeling in 3ds Max

I am starting out to learn modeling in 3ds Max. I am trying to model a hard surface object that has smooth curved surfaces as well. I am working on a gundam model (from gundam seed series). Here is the link

4608606356_5fc9f29902_o.jpg

I am not sure if I am doing it right so I would be really grateful of you nice fellows out there sort of shed some light. This is what I normally do -

1) Work in editable poly to make and add details to my shapes.
2) Add chamfer to the edges that I want to have a hard corner/edges
3) I try to maintain all polygons to be 4 sided (if its not 4 then applying turbosmooth later creates artifacts on my objects like pinch artifact or some other weird issues)
4) Apply Turbosmooth Modifier over it.

Its an awfully tedious task to chamfer edges to keep hard corners intact while having to worry about polygon sides not being 4 sided. Am I doing it correctly or is there some other natural way of working on hard surface objects that also has curvy surface? Please advise.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have the basic concept down. I personally prefer to add supporting edge loops to keep hard edges, instead of chamfering. Like you said, chamfering loops can sometimes create bad topology in areas, so I only use it in certain instances. With the new Swift Loop feature, you can create support edges very easily. I have it bound to Shift+S.
  • KiLLSWiTCH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok cool thanks. I was thinking how one would create an edge loop instead of using the Editable poly's vertex CUT tool. Thanks for the advice, yes, the chamfer does tend to ruin the topology in certain cases (especially corners).

Damn, I need get hold of some highly detailed 3d mechanical object's 3ds max file and see how they went about maintaining the topology. Right now, I am battling to keep my polygons four sided so when I use turbosmooth the shape dont have artifacts.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea, this is basically the workflow I use. I use chamfer a lot to add beveled surfaces, not necessarily to add hard edges. Adding control loops on each side of a hard edge is how to get the nice rounded crease.

You don't have to worry about keeping quads, as long as it looks good when smoothed, thats all that matters. 5 sided faces area actually better than triangles. If its a 5 sided face that isn't on a crease point, you can usually leave it as is.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to worry about keeping quads, as long as it looks good when smoothed, thats all that matters. 5 sided faces area actually better than triangles. If its a 5 sided face that isn't on a crease point, you can usually leave it as is.

I second this. 5 sided faces are also good for doing cylinder type shapes. There are some examples of it in the "How You Model Dem Shapes" thread.
  • Mr. Bean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, although chamfering is the natural thing to do to quickly get rid of the over smoothing issue and keep the model in its form, it's better to connect new edges so you don't get N-gons and other nasty geometry.

Best thing for you to do would be to watch this tutorial so you can get a good idea of subdivision modeling:

http://www.vimeo.com/5491718
  • KiLLSWiTCH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG Mr. Bean that's exactly what I was looking for. So I am remodeling some parts using sub-d technique and it comes out rather nice when smoothing is applied.

Sean_EG and PredatorGSR, ya you are right about the sides as long as its not on some awkward areas. Wow, I can truly say some tips from this thread alone has jump-shot my modeling skill and quality. Getting the hang of sub-d modeling. Would love more video tutorials. I am trying to get hold of some dvds on advanced hard surface modeling. Looked at some from Gnomon.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Have you look into the video tutorials at AREA website?..just search "inorganic", there's a 3 part video that sould give you a better idea of modeling a hard surface object.

_Revel
  • KiLLSWiTCH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Revel - Thanks a lot...really great videos, downloaded them just now. Was reading the interview with Grant Warwick...pretty inspirational stuff. He did this one model called Mauro for Dominance War IV. Sick modeling skill that one!