Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    That does look really nice, hopefully it will have legs. Wonder why something like this hasn't replaced blender's own lackluster internal game engine? (prob a dumb question).

their website http://armory3d.org
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja polycounter
    If any of you guys have ever used Textools for 3ds Max, @renderhjs is making a Textools plugin for Blender:

• FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome, I love that more and more people are starting to embrace the power of Blender nowadays. :smiley:
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 6
    Real quick question: is there a way to do an edgeloop selection from edges already selected? The select loop by clicking is nice but I don't necessarily want that behavior all the time.
    It does what I want when I go in the menu Select -> Edge Loop/Ring but not when I assign a shortcut to it.

Found it: Basically had Loop select and multiloop select assigneds to the same shortcut. Thanks!
  • JoseConseco
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco polycounter lvl 7

Hi I made new addon - Render Bevel - is simple blender addon, for making variable bevel size for round corner cycles shader.
    Script requires blender 2.79 daily build, aka 2.79a from here
    Render Bevel panel is located in3d View -> Tool shelf -> Tools tab -> Render Bevel panel.
    Get it from here (gumroad)
    or here (dropbox link)
    Simple video with example of how this works
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome, I love that more and more people are starting to embrace the power of Blender nowadays. :smiley:
    Those that dont are missing a real fast train!
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN greentooth
    renderhjs said:
    I started the first TexTools for #3DSMax in 2009, the blender version will have more fancy baking modes. TexTools will be free
    I'm not so sure this is good. It can propagate a feeling that software is something "easily done" or "low valued" that you can just give it away at no cost.
    Why study your ass off and work on your skills to make good tools, if you're going to put it out there for no return? It's unsustainable.
    I'd rather it cost a symbolic price of $1 rather than being completely free.

Even Blender developers get paid, it's called the "development fund".
  • Mad_Llama
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad_Llama vertex
    @RN I disaggree. If you're not broke and want to repay the community, or even developers (some good addons make it to the blender trunk ) this is a great way to do so.
    Blender is free on its own, doesn't that make software feel cheap?  :) 
    Just support the guys who are making the addons, know that often those are made not to earn a salary, but to help out and share tools 
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 3
    On Gumroad people gives money to support devs on free addons.
    This is nice.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Ok, can someone tell me how this is not a bug? It has annoyed me for ages and release after release it stays in. You should not be able to snap to vertices on the other side of your mesh-- That's what 'Limit selection to visible' is for. Surely this is a known issue? On dense meshes it's a struggle to even snap onto what you want.

• yursiv
    Offline / Send Message
    yursiv polycounter lvl 5
  • cyaoeu
    Offline / Send Message
    cyaoeu polycounter lvl 2
    Fuiosg said:
    Ok, can someone tell me how this is not a bug? It has annoyed me for ages and release after release it stays in. You should not be able to snap to vertices on the other side of your mesh-- That's what 'Limit selection to visible' is for. Surely this is a known issue? On dense meshes it's a struggle to even snap onto what you want.
    Limit selection to visible is for selection and has nothing to do with snapping. If you think it's a bug (snapping snaps to other side of mesh) let the developers know by submitting a bug report.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    cyaoeu said:
    Fuiosg said:
    Limit selection to visible is for selection and has nothing to do with snapping. If you think it's a bug (snapping snaps to other side of mesh) let the developers know by submitting a bug report.
    Is snapping not reliant on selection? Whether it's a bug is precisely what I'm asking, before I go and wade through entries in the bug tracker. Though I can't see how this could be considered normal/desirable behavior.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior hero character
    @yursiv : If anything, my advice would be to *not* report it as a bug but rather as an annoying behavior that needs to be resolved. Software engineers take the word "bug" very literally, which often ends up in big misunderstandings.

(For instance : Photoshop changing the current layer after undoing a single stroke seems like a "bug" for the users, but for the Adobe engineers it is not a bug since the undo/history behaves as intended and there is no line of code to be fixed).

Instead, describe your problem in full detail in a very naive but straightforward manner. In a way you have to "play dumb" a little. If you go into too much technical detail you run the risk of ending up tangled in discussions that will not resolve the issue.

(BTW : I agree, this snapping behavior is plain dumb. Probably an old design oversight.)

Good luck !
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN greentooth
    @Pior is right. When I made a report I was told this:

Thanks for the report, but this sounds more like a feature request than a bug report, code is working as expected currently. If you think a new behavior should be added (or current should be modified), please use forums or bf-funboard ML.

I think that fits your case.
    If I were you, I'd make a right-click-select post (what you already wrote is perfect), share the link in here so we can vote for it and move on.
  • cyaoeu
    Offline / Send Message
    cyaoeu polycounter lvl 2
    Fuiosg said:
    cyaoeu said:
    Fuiosg said:
    Is snapping not reliant on selection? Whether it's a bug is precisely what I'm asking, before I go and wade through entries in the bug tracker. Though I can't see how this could be considered normal/desirable behavior.
    Well snapping uses the selected vertices, but the target can be anything, even on the other side of the mesh. Limit selection to visible will limit your original selection to the visible vertices, but the target part of the snapping has nothing to do with selections. Only the developers can tell you if something is a bug or not.

There are other ways to snap things like using Snap Cursor to Selection and Snap Selection to Cursor. Or snapping while pressing x/y/z to constrain the movement. 
  • Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    How did I miss this thread for so  long, just checked the last 10 pages and it blew me away!

I have few questions...

I'm a big fan of your work Wazou, so may I ask you if it's possible to have that fency merge-connect tool in a way that doesnt break UVS?  That would be pretty neat as that's what makes it very special in Maya

Second question is a bit more tricky, I want to be able to cut holes trough a cylinder using a subdivided plane as start and then add a bend modifier to achive optimal result, as that gives freedom to work with also nasty geometry ( https://i.imgur.com/DNTVcQd.png )

Problem is, that on the other side of the cylinder since the vertecies are not welded, I get bad results. 

I'm trying to figure this out and I hope you guys could come up with some solutions or workaround
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 3
    Hi,

Ok, did it, come on the discord (link on addon page on gumroad), I will give you the .py I edited.

For the second question, you cannot do this in blender saddly, we need a merge modifier for that.
  • 3D_director
    Offline / Send Message
    3D_director vertex
    Hi, is anyone working on the blender101 project (simplified startup screen for blender directed to novice users with minimal user interface?)
    Thanks.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    RN said:
    If I were you, I'd make a right-click-select post (what you already wrote is perfect), share the link in here so we can vote for it and move on.
    Thanks for the tip, here's the post if anyone cares to vote.

https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/Qzbbbc/prevent-snapping-to-hidden-targets

• yursiv
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, here's a little baking UI I put together. Makes it fast and easy to bake maps and iterate. Hope you find it useful!

https://github.com/leukbaars/BRM-BakeUI

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN greentooth
    What do you think is the best viewport lamp setup? (for the three lamps that you can change on User Preferences > System)

I've read more than once that matcaps are not the best shading to use when on a 3D viewport, and after trying the viewport lamps again after a long time using matcaps, they do give you a better sense of form!

I tried looking at how other programs do it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus:
    3ds uses an over-the-shoulder lamp setup, with a secondary opposite lamp (3ds docs was the one that most explained about it):

Maya, just from screenshots (didn't find any docs on it) seems to use a frontal lamp? Notice the pillow shading (It's the default viewport, on the left)

Modo seems to use something similar to 3ds, an over-the-shoulder lamp. Maybe there's a second lamp serving as a fill light as well?

PS: you can mess with the Blender viewport lamps through Python, it's in bpy.context.user_preferences.system.solid_lights.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior hero character
    @RN : Here's mine, FWIW : 

Very simple, but it's been serving me well so far.
  • RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN greentooth
    @pior It looks great, I'll try that out!
    Thanks.
  • wazou
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 3
    with 2.8 and eevee, we will be able to have something really great!
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Belzzebozz polycounter lvl 3
    @pior: nice!

Here is mine. Its Maya inspired because I prefer when its more matte 

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN greentooth
    Having at least one frontal lamp like in Maya gives a nice Fresnel effect. The other lamps can give some more nuance.

I wanted to change the light direction based on rotation (instead of mouse-dragging the sphere widget), so I wrote this:
    import bpy
    import math
    from mathutils import Vector, Euler

# Usage: set the values of the upper-case variables and run this script.
    # =============================================
    # Set the index of one of the three lamps to change.
    LIGHT = 0 # Use 0, 1 or 2.

# Set the X and Y rotation of the light in DEGREES.
    ROTATION_X = 0
    ROTATION_Y = -90
    # =============================================

vec = Vector( ( 0.0, 0.0, 1.0 ) )
    vec.rotate( Euler( ( math.radians( ROTATION_X ), math.radians( ROTATION_Y ), 0.0 ) ) )
    bpy.context.user_preferences.system.solid_lights[ LIGHT ].direction = vec.normalized()
    If you open a Text view in Blender, click New (to create a blank text object) and paste the above and press the Run Script button, it changes the direction of the viewport light that you specified on the script based on a XY rotation, with angles in degrees.

If you set X = 0 and Y = 0, you get plain a frontal lamp. If you use X = 0 and Y = -90, you get light coming in perfectly from the left.
    X pitches the light up and down (depending on a negative or positive angle). Y yaws the light left and right (also negative or positive).
    You need to test it with slight changes to get a feeling of what angle sign makes the light go in the direction you want.

Once you get something you like, save your user preferences. There's also this addon here with some presets.
  • MACHIN3
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 greentooth

3 DataTransfer mods. 1 for turning chamfers into fake flllets, 1 for hard edges(you can skip this one if you dont want hard egdes) and one for the surface fix. There's 2 source meshes one for the fake fillets and one for the uncut, undisturbed surface. DataTransfers are masked by vertex groups.

There's a few more vids on twitter:  and  and 

Suprisingly simple stuff. To make this into a killer tool you'd have to find a good way to manage and maintain various surface source meshes(they can be unlinked from the scene, so as to keep it all clean). Or maybe just repeatedly applying the DataTransfer, could also work.  Doing the vertex group masking could possibly also be automated. Both would ideally be integrated into a boolean tool.

For now, personally, I just use it as a final step to clean up unwanted shading on my lowpoly geo.

• Yamanote
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamanote polycounter lvl 3
    Impressive work as always, MACHIN3 :) 

I was wondering what a good place to start reading up on system recommendations/requirements for 2.8/EEVEE would be?
    I'm currently using a five year old MacBook Pro with Intel Iris Pro iGPU as well as a baseline i7 processor. It has been doing just fine for me in 2.7, but it is definitely stressed by the daily 2.8 builds as of right now (flickering screen updates, glitched out screens, crashes etc; sunlight performance in particular grinds any instance to a halt). I am uncertain as to how much this has to do with the current state of 2.8 development, and how much can be chalked up to simple hardware performance bottlenecks. 

How likely is it that my situation will improve as updates continue? I can live without most real time effects save shadows honestly (basically, what I want is refined version of what's already possible in 2.7 with Blender Render engine in GLSL mode; e.g. higher resolution real time shadows), and seeing as I'm holding out to see how the coming Mac Pro/Mini revisions pan out, I would prefer not having to change anything hardware wise for now. Perhaps I could get an eGPU, but I'm unsure how Thunderbolt 2 connections deliver on this front as I don't have any Thunderbolt 3 ports.
  • yursiv
    Offline / Send Message
    yursiv polycounter lvl 5
    I am improving my subd modeling skills, and only now notice that it is something wrong with Blender bevel.
    And i'm wonder, what more experienced people that i'am thinking about this
    (Here is proposal for devs: https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/10bbbc/bevel-edges-options)
    Here is blender bevel: 

This kind of corners obviously beveled wrong way.
    Here is maya bevel with some options(looking good with "Radial" and "Auto"/"None" "mitering" option):

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp polycounter
    Yamanote said:
    I am uncertain as to how much this has to do with the current state of 2.8 development, and how much can be chalked up to simple hardware performance bottlenecks.
    for what it's worth i tested 2.8 just a few weeks ago on a 4ghz i7 + GTX1070 windows desktop and found the interaction in the majority of the demo scenes in fancy viewport mode to be rather unbearably slow and in the few that weren't the lag was still noticeable.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs polycounter
    Been a while since I posted on polycount. I have been playing with blender in the last 3 months and scripting in Blender.

As mentioned by someone else I started a TexTools Addon for Blender, the main thread at the moment is on belnderartists. Source, documentaion and download are available on the bitbucket GIT page
    https://bitbucket.org/renderhjs/textools-blender/

Today I worked on Anti Aliasing for the baking in Blender as well as some freeze selection mode to tweak meshes while baking, e.g. cages.

There is also already some selection and transform tools. It is still an early version and I haven't put any Undo commands in the code or safe checked a lot of odd cases (e.g. UV sync mode, active object not in selection,...). But it's getting some nice progress.

• Eepox
    Offline / Send Message
    Eepox polycounter lvl 3
    Peris said:
    Hey guys, here's a little baking UI I put together. Makes it fast and easy to bake maps and iterate. Hope you find it useful!

https://github.com/leukbaars/BRM-BakeUI

Thanks @Peris ; I'll try this out!
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 13
    Renderhjs. i'm excited to see that you are working on scripting for Blender. You have always made pro tools. I loved textools. Are you going to sale your script?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs polycounter
    Sage said:
    Renderhjs. i'm excited to see that you are working on scripting for Blender. You have always made pro tools. I loved textools. Are you going to sale your script?
    No it is free but there is an option to donate via paypal. Some people believe that Blender needs a commercial pillar to mature, e.g. professional addons maintained by paid developers, and I am fine with that. But personally I have a different philosophy.  TexTools is free to use, copy the code or learn from. 

All I want is a really good addon that is accessible. I have been a game and tool developer for many years now and having worked with Mac & Windows teams as well as artists with different art package experiences thought me one thing: If you want to push technology and ideas with tools: make them cross platform, easy to install and accessible. 

I put great effort into packaging each module into it's own python package so that others can quicker find code they need or want to modify. The python files reflect the tool names. I tried the same with TexTools for 3dsMax back then, also for myself to dig back into the code again.

As for my time: I create TexTools because I use it myself at work and teach friends and co workers on how to use them or these days introduce them to Blender. It often benefits me in a secondary way, as I am often the guy at work who builds pipe lines, guide artists on technical stuff etc.

As for the latest Version

TexTools Blender 0.7.1 is out:

Changes:

Undo
    Added Undo registers for most operators

Anti Aliasing
    Select from None, 2x, 4x. When you enable Anti Aliasing the bake render is rendered at a scaled resulution and afterwards down scaled. Anti Aliasing works on any baking mode.

Single
    I changed this behavior slightly: With multiple objects selected enable this when you want all items to be baked into a single texture as opposed to multiple. It uses the name or ID from the first item in the bake set list. This is great for multi part objects or exploded bake setups.

Lock Selection
    Lock or unlock the current bake selection. When locked scene selection changes won't affect the baking list. This is great for tweaking meshes, cages or other settings while baking.

UI improvements
    Mostly ghosting elements that are not available or ignored in the 'Single' mode. Also displays now the number of texture bakes on the bake button. This should make it easier for new users.

Currently working on some bake explode tools which creates key frames for object pairs and moves them apart for baking, or exporting to other baking tools.

• Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 11
    @renderhjs thank you so much for making this! I had a little time today to try it out and I will definitely be using it! I love the UV editing tools, really useful and powerful! I'd advise against adding default hotkeys to certain tools (like the align tool - believe it or not I had already assigned alt+arrow keys to stuff). There's a lot of blender plugins that do this and it can be annoying. 

align edge and select similar, can't believe I lived without it <3

I really like how you organized the UI, though I think you should consider making the baking and UV editing parts as separate plugins maybe? I'd love to see the bake tool more fleshed out as a separate UI :)

I had some problems trying to bake, but I am using one of the overnight 2.79 builds so that might have something to do with it. Not sure how I feel about having to name objects _high and _low, I think it would be preferable not to have to rename things for baking if you are working with certain scene organisations or game assets. It's probably a good workflow for more complex baking setups though.

Anyways, it's awesome, stoked to see you making tools for blender!

• Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anybody know if the 2.79a release brings any new features or is this "only" a bug fix? 
    I am curious about the rounded edge shader and if it will be implemented in this release or is a feature which shud be expected in 2.8

Rounded edge + renderhjs great baking add-on, such a dream team for game prob creation.
  • Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani triangle
    hypronost said:
    Gave the bevel shader a try with some booleans. friggin love it!
    Excuse me for the lowbie question, but how you cut those holes, with booleans? i don't get it
  • Yamanote
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamanote polycounter lvl 3
    thomasp said:
    Yamanote said:
    I am uncertain as to how much this has to do with the current state of 2.8 development, and how much can be chalked up to simple hardware performance bottlenecks.
    for what it's worth i tested 2.8 just a few weeks ago on a 4ghz i7 + GTX1070 windows desktop and found the interaction in the majority of the demo scenes in fancy viewport mode to be rather unbearably slow and in the few that weren't the lag was still noticeable.
    That's reassuring (or, depending on how you look at it, perhaps not?). I'll retain a semblance of hope that things will improve for us both as development progresses :)

Dchani: I believe it is done via boolean operations. Select source mesh, then target mesh and press Ctrl + B to engage the Boolean menu (with BoolTool enabled in addons). Then you select what sort of operation you want to do (union, difference, intersection, etc).
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    Yamanote said:
    thomasp said:
    Yamanote said:
    That's reassuring (or, depending on how you look at it, perhaps not?). I'll retain a semblance of hope that things will improve for us both as development progresses :)

Dchani: I believe it is done via boolean operations. Select source mesh, then target mesh and press Ctrl + B to engage the Boolean menu (with BoolTool enabled in addons). Then you select what sort of operation you want to do (union, difference intersection, etc).
    And the nice bevel around the holes was probably done with the "bevel shader". Its a feature that is implement it the 2.79 Daily Build
    Here is a video from WAZOU where you can see it in action: 
    And info from the dev blog: https://developer.blender.org/D2803

Haven't tried it yet but if it's like the rounded edge shader in Modo then its gone be a big game changer for Blender ...again
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    ... sorry for the big video in my previous post. The link was changed into an embedded video ^^

Does anybody know if there is a feature in Blender where I can see all my UV island from all the objects in the scene at the same time in the image-editor as overlays without joining them into a single mesh?

Here is an example how it looks like Modo:

The white highlighted island is my current active object.

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 10
    not for all objects - which would be stupid in my opinion, but from all selected objects:
     uv editor > View > Draw other Objects
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp polycounter
    Yamanote said:

you must be what they call the glass-half-full type. i'm... the other type. ;)

a mandatory 2.79 parallel install during the new viewport's early years would seem like a good bet.
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    kio said:
    not for all objects - which would be stupid in my opinion, but from all selected objects:
     uv editor > View > Draw other Objects
    Thank you but how can I see the UVs in Object mode? Or what do you mean by selected?
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina polycounter lvl 8
    he means, you select different object in object mode and then switch to edit mode
    while only the last object will be in edit mode, you will still see all other objects you previously selected in the uv editor, slightly greyed out
    you still can only edit the uvs of the last selected object
  • Belzzebozz
    Offline / Send Message
    he means, you select different object in object mode and then switch to edit mode
    while only the last object will be in edit mode, you will still see all other objects you previously selected in the uv editor, slightly greyed out
    you still can only edit the uvs of the last selected object
    That's what I have tried but somehow it won't work. Cant see anything besides my actual selected mesh.I have also checked another theme because of the colors scheme but still nothing. 
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina polycounter lvl 8
    up load your blend file if possible, i can take a look at it tomorrow
    hard to say whats wrong without actually seeing what you do.
    works for me without any problems
    maybe the wirecolor
    which version of blender are you using ?

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja polycounter
    @renderhjs This is just in time for my new years resolution to give Blender an honest try (after I finish my current project) Thank you so much for Textools! I still use it in Max to this day and really excited to see it come to Blender, definitely makes me excited to switch!