About 8 years ago I created TexTools for 3dsMax
. A lot of stuff hapennend in that time and just last year I started seriously learning Blender. Eventually I decided to create another TexTools for blender as UV & Texturing is a passion mine and seriously sucks in most 3D packages.Download & Documentationhttp://renderhjs.net/textools/blender/Some of the Features
• Set UV/texture/baking size & padding
• Crop selection to UV bounds
• Resize or extend UV canvas
• swap and change UV channels
UV Layout tools
• Align Verts / Islands
• Align Island to edge
• Rotate 90 degree to bounds
• Align and UV shells by size,
• Iron Faces: unwraps selected faces to UV Island
• Select similar UV islands
• Select overlapping UV islands
• Select Island Bounds in 3D view
Texel Density tools
• Assign checker maps with non square, square in any sizes
• Get texel density from objects or selected mesh faces
• Set texel density to selected objects or selected mesh faces
• Scale texel density by individual UV islands or as a combined group
• Bake: Select object and press bake: That easy!
• Anti Aliasing for all bake types
• Bake to single texture or multiple
• 6 bake types: AO, ID map, normal, cavity, worn, gradient Z. And more to come.
• Automatically group objects by matching names.
• Supports lowpoly, highpoly to lowpoly, with or without cage and or floating objects
• Explode: Explode bake pairs
• Organize: Auto match bake object names by location and bounding box matching
In depth features and documentation can be found on the official websiteWhy Blender
What I like about Blender that its a tool I can take with me anywhere with no licensing restrictions. This makes investing time and tools attractive to me as it's something that will always be available to me even when changing work environments. With other subscription software it's harder to obtain older versions when API's and compatiblity change a lot.
If you haven't had a serious look at Blender check out Hard Ops
and Decal Machine
or the upcomming Blender 2.8 Eevee
viewport. Just Blender out of the box is a very serious modeler and in many ways seriously faster than 3dsMax. Since it's free you might as well give it try.