Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Defunct said:
    Is there any good solution to retopology within blender without paying $80 for Blendercookies toolset?

I tried Retopo MT and I can't stand it. The only alternative I can see is to use Blender's projection snapping with standard modeling tools and shrinkwrap, which is incredibly slow.

For $80 I may as well just buy topogun.
    You don't actually have to pay. the license is GPL.
    You mean this?
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    SonicBlue said:
    You mean this?
    Yeah.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Neat, didn't realize that. Thank you.
    Edit: Also thank you for the suggestions defunct I will check those out

JEDTHEKRAMPUS
    What is "Organic Extrude"? Searching the reference manual gives me nothing and Google tells me CTRL LMB is the hotkey for it, but I'm using rSelect and rRMB which override those hotkeys. It's not in the input list in the user prefs, where do I find this tool?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Defunct said:
    Just wanted to say I managed to get all of this set up (more difficult than I expected, didn't realize there were multiple versions of Wazous retopo tools) and I'm very happy with the results

Thanks man
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct said:
    SonicBlue said:
    You mean this?
    Yeah.
    They removed it from the store, also, the links on GitHub, points nowhere; strange.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What link are you clicking? It works for me

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What link are you clicking? It works for me

My previous reply got "moderated", so I think it won't show up, like the last time, anyway; it was another link, probably deprecated (404), this one works.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Organic extrude is just a really quick way to extrude an edge around. By default it should be bound to Ctrl + action mouse, which is just the opposite of the select mouse.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thank you Jed, I figured it out.

Sorry, another dumb question: How are you guys creating cages to bake in xnormal? Or are you all just baking inside blender? Can't find a push modifier and using extrude along normal creates an interior duplicate of the geometry which makes for a lot of trash to clean up.
  • VertexPainter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VertexPainter polycounter lvl 8
    How are you guys creating cages to bake in xnormal? 

Shit+D -> Alt+S
    or Displace modifier
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    AtticusMars said:
    How are you guys creating cages to bake in xnormal?
    Also when working on organic stuff like characters, in the sculpt mode, the inflate brush with a low intensity helps you to create a precise cage.

So, I usually start with the displace modifier to give an even swell (just a little to have less manual work), and then inflate it manually.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Thank you for the tip, you're right the inflate brush woulda helped a lot while I was cleaning up my bake. I ended up just doing a lot of pushing and pulling of faces while going back and forth between xnormal which wasn't particularly fast.

I have another question, hopefully the last one for a while.

(Sorry about the nudity, never got around to finishing all the clothing and I needed a character to test with and this is what I had.)

Problem should be obvious but if not: The mesh is tearing apart. Reason for this is that before I baked, I marked all my UV seams as sharp and used an edge split modifier. Problem is I forgot to triangulate before baking... so I had to reimport the exported obj instead of using my Blender mesh in order to get the correct triangulation to render the normal map correctly, which had collapsed the split edge modifier and left me with a broken up mesh so when rigify went to autoskin it didn't skin past the split edges.

I figure this isn't too big a deal, I think I could just fix this through proper skinning. Would be nice to get the most out of Rigify's automatic skinning though. (Or I think I probably could have gotten away without splitting the edges, but I'm not sure that's a reliable strategy going forward with characters that are actually fully costumed with lower res textures)

So my question is this: What would be your workflow for retopoing, baking, and rigging a character in Blender? Specifically in regards to what your modifier stack looks like before export and how it affects your rigging.

Do you use use triangulate/edge split modifiers? Do you collapse them before export? Is it difficult to rig the triangulated mesh if so?

Thank you guys for all the help, it's been a long time since I actually took a character this far and the last time was in max, years ago. So I've been trying to build up my confidence with Blender. It would have been very painful without you guys.

also Rigify is fantastic
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never use the edge split modifier just to sharpen edges these days. Instead, go to the vertex attributes tab in the properties editor (it's the one with the triangle on it) and enable Auto Smooth and set the angle to 180 degrees so only edges you mark as sharp will be sharpened. This method doesn't tear apart your mesh and it works well with the .obj and .fbx exporters.

On a side note: IDK if you're doing it this way, but the fastest way to mark seams as sharp is to use the Seams from Islands operator, then check Mark Sharp. It's available in the UV editor menus, or you can just spacebar search it.

That said, you should only mark a seam as sharp if it makes your lowpoly model look more like your highpoly model. If you're baking a highpoly perfect sphere to a low-poly 224-triangle UV sphere, for instance, you should leave the seams smooth, and on a character, especially on one with lots of polygons, you'll run into situations like this pretty often. However, if you're baking something hard surface it's often better to put hard edges on the seams.

It's not all or nothing, either. You can have some of the edges hard and some of them not hard as appropriate.

Here's a normal map of a high poly sphere baked to a lowpoly sphere with no hard edges on the seams.

It's a good, neutral purple throughout. The bake looks like this if you put hard edges on the seams.

Here's the same bake, but with hard edges on the UV seams.

The color changes on the edges indicate that hardening these particular edges was not a good choice. In an unsynced workflow you'd really pay for that, and in a synced workflow you'll just get more compression artifacts.

So, on a character you'll probably want to avoid putting sharp edges on a UV seam that runs from the forehead to the back of the neck (for instance.) The rule of thumb is to make your lowpoly look as similar to the highpoly as possible given the UV seams that make hard edges available.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'll use autosmooth in the future, thanks. I actually tried searching for an islands->hard edge function but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

re: the normal map, I'll keep this in mind as well. Admittedly I've never worked with unsynced normals before so it's not something I'd have discovered on my own.

How do you deal with triangulating your mesh for baking while ensuring it is stays consistent and clean for rigging? 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep triangulate as a modifier and put it before the armature modifier on the stack
    Edit: also, even in a synced workflow, a normal map that has big gradients is more likely to have noticeable banding/compression artifacts. So it's still a good idea to keep gradients to a minimum if it's not too much trouble.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Will do, thanks.

And yeah I'm aware of that much at least, just didn't realize splitting edges on curved surfaces actually created gradients. I'm used to the gradients being caused by lack of split edges. Now that I'm aware I'll be smarter about it in the future.
  • TheBigHeadedOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBigHeadedOne polycounter lvl 3
    PBR development in Blender isn't dead! :D

• MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    wow. this kind of coolness will never get to trunk xD
  • TheBigHeadedOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx said:
    wow. this kind of coolness will never get to trunk xD
    Don't say that man, let's have some hope, specially with the new viewport stuff coming up! :P
  • TheBigHeadedOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stress test of "Edge Patches", from Retopoflow (I heard this may be a paid update, seems like worth it, depending how much they ask for it, since retopoflow was already pretty expensive).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDU34OcUjtI

Getting better and better!
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, it looks very cool.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Has there been any word on a revised default keymap lately? I know people have been asking for one for years, but the Blender Foundation seems to just be too stubborn about maintaining the status quo (last I checked at least).
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can set your own keymap already.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I know. Having the ability to customize things is important, but the less you need to customize the better.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree, infact I customized just a bit :)
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    Has there been any word on a revised default keymap lately? I know people have been asking for one for years, but the Blender Foundation seems to just be too stubborn about maintaining the status quo (last I checked at least).
    Have you tried the Blender 2012 Experimental?

• MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that setting is the hell.. trust me U_U
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx said:
    that setting is the hell.. trust me U_U

I hope they don't take it in consideration for the new one then :D
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Hi.

I have made a custom version of Blender able to generate a game asset in one click, will bake all your textures and save them, generate base mesh from sketchs, block-out a high poly in one click, FPS template, new brushes, stencils, palettes, color gradient and tons of other tools. I have made a video:

Official topic: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?383624-Dark-Blender-(Official-Thread)-optimized-for-sculpting-and-game-asset-creation

Topic on Polycount: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2405952
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I'm sensing some bullshit here about Blender cycles rendering faster with GPU than CPU. I've made multiples tests and got no convincing return from the settings...

I'd even say my GPU runs slower than my CPU....

Edit: Aahh.. after research, I think I understand now. People say AMD cards aren't perfect fit yet for Blender...
    That's why...
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    AMD / ATI and blender have never functioned very well together, nvidia and cuda is where the speed increase is.

But blender does support OpenCL now, and I believe AMD / ATI performance will increase, and has seen a significant increase compared to 2.6
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah AMD is definitely in a better spot with Cycles than they were before, but especially if you have a midrange AMD consumer GPU like a 260x or something you might not see a speed increase if you also have a monster CPU.

One thing you could try is increasing the tile size to 256x256 or 512x512.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    The Blender Asset Manager is out !

The add-on allows you to create your own asset library : mesh, particules, light setting,... then place your asset easily on your scene :

https://youtu.be/wNpV64m97Zw

Get it here ( with a discount for today : 10€) : http://www.pitiwazou.com/asset-management 

A big thanks to all the dev team
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wohoo! bought it!
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, Blender decided to not develop FBX more than the actual stage (that actually is stable enough for me)
    here is the note from the main developer Bastien Montagne:

"Hi,
    So, lately there's been a lot of FBX-related issues reported to our 
    tracker. Most of those are either:
    - Known (half-)broken things (like cameras/lights orientation issues), 
    over which I do not intend to spend more time, since those are not 
    critical features to support imho.
    - Broken corner-cases in an area that globally works rather well 
    (thinking about skeletons here).
    - Mysterious third-party applications-related issues (scaling, skeletons 
    again, etc.), that is, bugs that show with one app but not another.

I think later point is a good demonstration that FBX itself is a failure 
    and a dead horse - if even rather big and serious companies like Unreal 
    or Unity cannot get a reliable FBX importer working using official FBX 
    SDK, then how are we supposed to do it without even that SDK?

Further more:
    - In past two years a lot of time and energy was invested (lost) in FBX.
    - </rant> I’m just dead sick of that format, of hitting any possible 
    table corner when trying to walk my way in that non-sensible pitch black 
    box, etc. </rant>
    - Knowledge I gained of this format and its evolution is **not** 
    encouraging at all (stupid things like supporting two different and 
    complex transform systems [3DS max and Maya ones, btw ;) ], a very weird 
    inconsistency at binary level, etc.). I do not have any feeling this is 
    a sane format, nor that it is evolving in a sane direction. It seems to 
    be defined a bit as needs arise, piling up new stuff over old ones, etc. 
    To summarize: no clear design behind it, and a very dirty way of 
    handling new versions of it.

So I would claim to stop relying on and developing it. It would not mean 
    we just remove it from Blender, but think it’s time to switch to 
    something more modern and open - am aware of at least to possible 
    alternatives, which could even be quite complementary.

I) glTF
    Promoted by Khronos group (https://www.khronos.org/gltf), it aims at 
    being the open exchange format for games (from simple asset to complete 
    scene description).
    Think it’s still very new stuff, not much widely used yet, but it seems 
    to have some support from several major companies (including Microsoft 
    and even - rofl - Autodesk, see http://gltf.autodesk.io/).

II) USD
    Promoted by Pixar (http://graphics.pixar.com/usd/), it aims at being 
    some kind of generic pipeline format for CG studios (it also has 
    integration of Alembic e.g.).
    I have no idea of its acceptance currently, but sounds like it could be 
    a valuable option for our 2.8 'pipeline/inter-application exchange' goal?

(as a side note, interesting to see that those two have a similar 
    approach, they are not monolithic files but rather a combination of 
    binary data and textual descriptions…)

Anyway, those are very early reflections, would like to get your 
    feelings about those two formats/projects (or others you may have in 
    mind! ;) ), but I’m feeling much more enthusiast at the idea of spending 
    time on modern, open-designed (or at least, open-specified) formats, 
    than on piece of proprietary crap!

Again, even if we end up deciding we stop trying to fully support FBX as 
    our main exchange format, it would keep being supported in its current 
    status at least for one or two years - just I would not try to add 
    support for new versions (2016 one seems to have some incompatibilities 
    with our code already), nor would try to understand and fix more stuff 
    in that format.

And that’s a long enough mail, thanks for reading it!
    Bastien"

original link:
    http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2016-February/046630.html
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it doesn't read like a decision has been made as of yet though.
    anyway i thought the point of having data exchange formats was to be able to exchange data with something else. ;)
    i'll send them a postcard if i stumble over "gITF" somewhere...

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because AD basically controls the industry, as long as they support FBX I can't see it being abandoned by the industry at large. Blender does not have the sway necessary to kill off / replace FBX, so by discontinuing support they're only hurting their users.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yes it will not go away anytime soon.
    even if it did - you'd want to be able to exchange with current day applications - not all of them necessarily latest & greatest as far as FBX support is concerned - not wait around for everyone else to hop onto the train in the next few years.

whatever happened to collada btw? i remember dealing with that a good few years back. wasn't it supposed to take over from FBX? :)

• MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, Ton seems pretty sure about this

I really don't like FBX, and I think other companies out of Autodesk are not.
    Lets see what happen. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know a ton about FBX (never looked too deep into it), but am I right in assuming that the format/standard itself, not just the different plugins each app uses, changes each year? If the format was solid (like it should) be then updates to the Blender plugin shouldn't be such a big deal...
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    They thought FBX support was a waste of time so instead they decided to pursue support for a format no one uses?

If FBX is as bad as they say then I hope engine developers will be motivated to follow suit and adopt gITF, but the cynic in me believes that since FBX at least mostly-works already they'll just stick with Blender's partially broken FBX exporter.

@thomasp
    Re: Collada
    Looks like one of the Godot developers is offering to adapt their Collada importer to Unreal: 

Hopefully that link works, I hate linking to shit on twitter.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    Well, thing is Blender's FBX support is pretty decent right now, it's just that the dev in question doesn't want to continue fixing bugs that seem to happen because other programs have different ideas about saving to FBX.
    Collada is being worked on: https://developer.blender.org/D1787

And yeah, that Unreal/Godot twitter thread fills me with hope. Open standards are just so darn important, but as the w3c has proven, it really requires that you get the project leads in a room together. (Or you write the importer/exporter and make a lot of noise, like done with OpenExr, OpenSubdiv and Open Color IO)
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Test by Pitiwazou of the new hard surface workflow with Bool Tool, Hard ops, Assets Management and few drivers :

@mmaaxx : what's your feeling about the add-on?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Just re started using Blender recently and I am liking the new features so far. I still use 3dsmax but as someone who handpaints textures. Unlike 3dsmax Viewport canvas, Blender glsl feature allows me to texture paint with bump/normal map display in viewport and I get good results. Best of all the software is free!! Henhe.

Also played around with the gossebery branch, u can set shape keys for hair and fur particles which is awesome. There are a lot of cool features which autodesk doesn't have right now that Blender has. I still use 3dsmax and Corona of course but adding Blender to my pipeline just made things easier.
    I see myself doing some projects only in Blender once in a while and I don't believe in software playing a role in how professional your work looks. Like someone here said, tools are irrelevant and this is just a marketing strategy by a lot of companies saying use our software and your work will look like this.
    Not true at all.
    I have used only 3dsmax and corona without any other software to create renders. If you are using a app to speed things up, that's okay but if you think it will give you the professional quality you want, you will need to work much harder.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    @yadoob Can't speak for mmaaxx but I bought it as well and I think it is great. Only real complaint is that sometimes when I use asset to selection in face mode, my mesh disappears and in rare cases when placing a bunch of inserts, sometimes some of them will be upside down.

I am not entirely sure how useful it is for game development, at least in the types of scenarios they've shown. When you start doing surface detailing with inserts you really need to ask yourself: Is this better than just making a decal or a stamp in quixel/substance? And I think for most types of surface detail the answer is probably no.

It's still useful for previz, but I mainly see it really excelling in situations where you need modeled geometry, especially things that have to be cut into the mesh (such as pretty much any large reasonably complex feature you could attach with booleans, or corner detailing that can't be convincingly normal mapped). Less so for things that can be just baked flat. Maybe that'll change with VR, but I doubt you're going to see anyone modeling screws into their low poly meshes in the near future.

The drivers gif you showed looks really cool, I haven't tried anything that complex yet.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Oh, and a question for anybody who can answer: Is there a way to make edges with bevel weight display highlighted? (Similar to how creased edges show up as red in edit mode?)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They should show up automagically iirc but you have to be in edge select mode.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    What are they supposed to look like usually? Mine just show up as regular black edges.

• Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    @AtticusMars  thank you for the feedback, you're right about the way they show the tool, they are not targeting the video game industry but I'm sure there is other way to use it even for none hard surface stuff :)

As for the beveling, be sure to be in edge edit mode as Jed said and also check if the mesh diplay options are set to show Bevel values.