Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New TF 2 animation

Replies

• EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Everything feels like a slapstick dance, its to fast! There is no rest in these dances, its like they are on speed! In dancing you got high and lows, pieces where you pick up speed, dance at a faster rhythm and pieces where you slow down. You animated them on 1 speed. I like the dances but the overal timing and speed is pretty horrible
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    Everything feels like a slapstick dance, its to fast! There is no rest in these dances, its like they are on speed! In dancing you got high and lows, pieces where you pick up speed, dance at a faster rhythm and pieces where you slow down. You animated them on 1 speed. I like the dances but the overal timing and speed is pretty horrible

Thanks for the comment, I will continue in the same style b/c they're meant to be a bit insane and not particularly good dancers, but I appreciate the feedback.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yep I agree with this, they should be off step slightly clumsy dancers, like they all took a class one night and this was the result...maybe one animation might have a toon tripping another and getting a negative reaction?

LOL..! \/ Fantastic! The bullriding works!
  • James9475
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Liking the Engie animation though I have one critique. After the sentry throws him on the floor and he raises his hand for a thumbs up, him raising the hand should be slowed down substantially and held long and then dropped really fast to show that he's hurt. It seems like you might have sped that up to make the animation fit the allotted time. Is that the reason?
  • Koochy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    Question: Are these custom built rigs, or are they readily available to anyone with TF2?

Love the animation on the sentry, very bouncy. Looking great!
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Liking the Engie animation though I have one critique. After the sentry throws him on the floor and he raises his hand for a thumbs up, him raising the hand should be slowed down substantially and held long and then dropped really fast to show that he's hurt. It seems like you might have sped that up to make the animation fit the allotted time. Is that the reason?

Yes that is the reason :) ty for the crit

Koochy wrote: »
    Question: Are these custom built rigs, or are they readily available to anyone with TF2?

Love the animation on the sentry, very bouncy. Looking great!

The rig is the standard max biped, I import the valve mesh+bones (which are just raw bones) and constrain the valve bones to the max bones. I've been getting faster at doing it, I can now do all the set up in a few hours. (you have to be very precise on matching the valve bones are it gets rly fucked).
  • Kon-Tiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how the engi is riding his sentry like a bucking bronco. I also agree with the comment on his hand raising more slowly and dropping faster: perhaps, if time is an issue, you take a greater percentage raising his hand, and a smaller percentage dropping it?

Some future suggestions:
    If I understand correctly, the original demoman was a test. May I recommend that you have him "riverdance"? I understand that that is an Irish form of dancing, but it would go with the cultural confusion that surrounds him.
    It also occurred to me that you may want to do the soldier doing ballet, other form of dancing he would consider feminine or girly. This would be heavy in irony, and would be even more funny if he was either really good or really bad (at least to the people familiar with his character).

Also, as an artist (although neither an animator or a dancer) I am very impressed. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see the whole thing!
  • spanks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beginning is very robotic ;)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that is one sexy sentry, and you are a tease with such a short clip,

some of the pauses between big moves feel a tiny bit too long, not from music timing, just a "stops moving and becomes a 3d model again" point of view. Otherwise I love where you're going with this.
  • kruxus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the dances but have to agree with some of the others that the timing colud be better. The movement is very good with fluid motion arcs but the timing could be more "snappy" (more contrast in speed) for something as cartoony as this I think. I have the same problem when I animate, to much ease out/in on everything ;)
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving that robotic/linear feel in the Engi's limbs, James.
    Keep it up!

Also, with such good timing and contrast it makes for visual interest.
    Great piece.
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    Man, Valve should really contract you to get that stuff into the game - fantastic work, all of them are pretty freaking cool!
  • Nate3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate3d polycounter lvl 10
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heavymedic one is hilarious and a sniper doing the napoleon dynamite really touches my heart. No critiques, just wanted to say I love em
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know shit when it comes to animations, but that looks awesome!
  • Betty Hime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime polycounter lvl 9
    From an animators point of view, I feel like he moves too much in the 'robot' stages. Perhaps try a version with more snap, from a 'robotic' stand point It would work better, however if it's going to contrast with the other animations, then I say leave as is. Also the fall down, the first one, looks really clumsy and I couldn't tell what he was doing with his hands at all. I wonder if there was a way to make this clearer, either by taking out some moevement, say his hands to make the fall more dramatic? Or i think the main distarction is how his feet move. Was this referenced? I feel like if they came together and then he fell to the side you might not be distracted by the movement there. As your eye is either drawn to the biggest movement, or whatever isnt moving if everything on screen is moving.

These are just ideas, as an overall piece I love it and if it works with the other animations I say leave as is :)
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Betty Hime wrote: »
    From an animators point of view, I feel like he moves too much in the 'robot' stages. Perhaps try a version with more snap, from a 'robotic' stand point It would work better, however if it's going to contrast with the other animations, then I say leave as is. Also the fall down, the first one, looks really clumsy and I couldn't tell what he was doing with his hands at all. I wonder if there was a way to make this clearer, either by taking out some moevement, say his hands to make the fall more dramatic? Or i think the main distarction is how his feet move. Was this referenced? I feel like if they came together and then he fell to the side you might not be distracted by the movement there. As your eye is either drawn to the biggest movement, or whatever isnt moving if everything on screen is moving.

These are just ideas, as an overall piece I love it and if it works with the other animations I say leave as is :)

Hey, thanks for the crit. I'll see about making the hand movement clearer or maybe trying something different. Might even be a problem with too much motion blur tbh.

Jay
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK here is the WIP for the scout (also has a little of the soldier in there too):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY476OfuCgg[/ame]
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    That's one nimble wall crawlin' scout. It looked a little weird, but I liked your transition from Soldier to Scout at 0:07. I think it lacked the raw humor of the other's. Seems appropriate that the Soldier would choose to 'march' to music...Can't wait to see this thing finished.
  • visionaryunlimited
    I'll be honest, your work owns :) Loved every second of it.
  • Mutated
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    Your work is phenomenal. Each one fits the character extremely well and looks beautiful.

Good job!
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB wrote: »
    Your work is phenomenal. Each one fits the character extremely well and looks beautiful.

Good job!

For a second I thought you must be somebody from my job or something who'd made an account b/c my nickname at work is Jimmy B. Guess it's not a super uncommon name, well anyway, cheers heh
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Breakdance fighting is Win!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I kinda wish it had the trade mark "scout double jump" somewhere in it. The jumping over your own leg move could be smoothed out a bit more, looked too jerky and rough.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Is it really possible how each one seems to get better than the last??
    I kinda get the impression that with each one, you get more comfortable doing this, and as such they flow and come together more easily.

Great stuff again!!
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, I made a thing, not finished with the TF2 stuff by any stretch of the imagination, just took a short detour to make a lil' sumthin' sumthin'

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKb38bg1L3o[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice lil sumthin sumthin!
  • Bakayoukai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakayoukai polycounter lvl 8
    nice looks super sweet i cant wait to see the final animation. I think my only suggestion would be for the pyro. Since he is a flame user why not have him do like salsa or something latin, you like latin fire. (i dont know anything about dancing though, but i love it so far)
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woop, cool stuff :)
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys, new video is up, things are starting to come together.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc9BBfkGXwY[/ame]
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    that is awesome :) really nice job.

at the very end it kind of looks like he absorbed the weapon instead of it being thrown to him and catching it - more like using the force then just catching a rocket launcher being thrown at you. Other than that it looks really great.
  • Phones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The beginning is really awesome.

I dont like when he's stuck under the boxes though. That feels too prolonged without any sort of proper energy that's in the rest of the video.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phones wrote: »
    The beginning is really awesome.

I dont like when he's stuck under the boxes though. That feels too prolonged without any sort of proper energy that's in the rest of the video.

Yeah I guess I am relying on the cascade of objects and that in the final video there will be a ridiculous amount of action going on to keep you occupied. I was kind of hoping to make ppl think the solider might be dead too and needed a little time for that idea to sit before he pops up.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    So freaking awesome! lol
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Love it! It's comical without being too goofy and the animation has such a good flow. Want more.