Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning workflow with XN

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Hi, im just an ordinary modeler trying to catch up with this whole game-art thing, as this is where im planning to go with my education (Currently still in HS). I've followed a few current gen workflow tutorials that included xnormal. Xnormal looks like a wonderful tool but im still trying to grasp the way it acts and reacts to meshes.

My workflow for this barrel:
Modeled the low poly (90 polygons)
Created the high poly (478 )
UV mapped the low poly barrel (had problems, see uv problems)
Used xnormal to generate the normals & AO from the HP
Used photoshop to create the simple textures.

Error with my uv:
I did eventually get it to work, but along the way max would randomly erase my UV's once i had closed the edit window (i saved the uv's incase of this). This happened numerous times, and when that wasn't happening the mesh would be mapped fine, id double check the edit window to make sure the uv's were still in place, and then export it only to find that the uv's didn't save at all (yes the 'save texture coordinates' box was checked). Could clicking on the editable mesh modifier after i exit the edit window affect this in any way (i never actually modified the mesh afterwards, just selected a poly accidentally)

What im asking of you is to first CC the barrel, of course, and then to tell me any problems in my workflow. Could i be doing something simpler and am i in the right direction.

tl;dr I made barrel, first time using xnormal and i want you to CC my workflow and model.

barrelgamehj.jpg

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I think that your high poly could be smoother, and, it would benefit from more curve in the planks of wood.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    In the tutorial i watched on Cgtuts i heard that smoothing cylindrical objects can result in errors in XN. But that was concerning wheels. Im not sure if it would have worked in this situation but i didn't want to try and deal with screwing it up.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the highpoly looks like it has smoothing group problems, the planks look rounded rather than flat. Maybe change the smoothing angle and rebake or add meshsmooth/turbosmooth and subd it instead? wont make a huge difference but it might help. Other than that its fine.