Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BioKnife

Hello, looking for some crits on my high poly, my computer keeps crashing on me so all I have are these renders:

render1copy.jpg

render2copy.jpg

Replies

• RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    The modeling looks good, but some aspects of the concept seems odd to me though.

I'm assuming this is some mix between a knife and a syringe?
    Those little gears would likely wear down or break off after some use of the knife.
    They seem more for aesthetics without any real function.
    The multi leveled blade tip also seems fragile, like it would break if while inside and twisted the wrong way.

Anyways interesting concept, and good modeling.
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks. i was wondering if they looked thin. As for the gears i'll see what i can do about them
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So is it a telescoping blade? It s an interesting design, but the function isn't immediately apparent.
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, the blade would extend and retract with the syringe; no i suppose its not clear, any tips to make that clearer?
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Interesting design! I see the function of this gadget can be either knife or syringe. But for now it looks like as if only the knife is usable because the there is no mechanism for the syringe's needle to extend pass the length of the knife's blade (but you can have the blade to extend even more make the needle more useless).

Can you show us your initial sketches/ concept?..at least we know what function as what and can start giving you input from there.

Cheers
    _Revel
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i'll get concept up as soon as my computer reboots everything
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps if the container of fluid to be injected were in the handle? Having it in the blade seems like it would impair functionality, really. And the syringe point itself could perhaps be inside the blade, running down the middle of it, and coming out just under the point?
    I dunno, really.
    I like the idea.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the point of doing a small, precise puncture if you are going to slash open the guy anyway? If you want to poison somebody, beyond just lacing the blade with the poison, why not just make a sort of device like the old fountain pens, with a ridge to deliver the fluid to the business end? Then you can slash away without worrying about breaking your needle; while still, efficiently, delivering delicious poison to your adversary.

Maybe I am putting too much thought into it, but it just strikes me as hugely impractical.

I like the idea of a springy, neo-steampunkish retractable blade, though.