Home Technical Talk

Lost with Rock tiles

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
vofff polycounter lvl 10
Heya!
I am working with my rock tiles to our shoot em up game. The rocks I am focused on to look almost alike the rocks in Shadow Complex. This should already be completed in a half day but now it took more than one day, still havent solved the problem.

Is there any easy way to tile them? The diffuse is 512, the player will going to walk above the rocks. Oh and btw the meshes is duplicated by one mesh so they all are at the beginning the same, only some tweak for not destroying the uvs.
help3.jpg

help4.jpg

help5.jpg

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the problem, but are you sure the top half of that texture tiles horizontally? Because that's what's happening in help5.jpg, the half of that uv shell that goes outside of the 0-1 range (aka 'that bit where you see your texture') is actually being mapped to the left side of that texture. If you want that bit outside of the texture to be mapped to the bottom row, you'll need to add a split in the mesh there, and break the uv-shell there.

edit: rereading your post, it seems you're looking for suggestions to get this done as soon as possible. Personally, I'd just give all the pieces the same uv's and make a nice tilable texture, in order to finish this on time. If you're set on having more variation than that, some amount of trial and error will likely be needed, so consider whether you have the luxury of time on this.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the problem, but are you sure the top half of that texture tiles horizontally? Because that's what's happening in help5.jpg, the half of that uv shell that goes outside of the 0-1 range (aka 'that bit where you see your texture') is actually being mapped to the left side of that texture. If you want that bit outside of the texture to be mapped to the bottom row, you'll need to add a split in the mesh there, and break the uv-shell there.

edit: rereading your post, it seems you're looking for suggestions to get this done as soon as possible. Personally, I'd just give all the pieces the same uv's and make a nice tilable texture, in order to finish this on time. If you're set on having more variation than that, some amount of trial and error will likely be needed, so consider whether you have the luxury of time on this.

Hello I followed some of your advice, I am very happy I got rid of most of the seems, but still there some small tweaks. Here is the result! Thx anyway.
    help6.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you post the texture and uv-layout too, I can help you better.