Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HighPoly Shrine

HTLu
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
HTLu polycounter lvl 9
Hi,
I"m trying to model this shrine in highpoly and making it into lowpoly with normal map bake from high. I just need some help on how to model out the roof part so far.

iqeykh.jpg
This is the reference I"m using,

33p6nwl.jpg
I think the roof part here looks very much like a plastic thing.

2cf5ueb.jpg

This is a screen capture of the WIP I have for the roof now.

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    You're off to a good start. The roof needs to be curved though. Also, the scale is a bit off, it's too tall. Shrink it down a little. Also, just to point out, that isn't a shrine, it's actually a tea house, located at Tatton Park's Japanese garden. Not that it really matters though. The roof on the top image just isn't right at all. I actually used this very reference to model the roof of a small building I had started. Here's the result I had before I decided not to have that building in my environment: (Note: the scale of the roof isn't quite the same as the reference, I wanted mine shorter/stubbier, but you get the idea.)render3v.jpg
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea...your roof is too narrow on top. Also you might wanna make the window pieces thicker ..they look like chicken wire rather than wood.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Here are some things that need fixing.

started.jpg
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    Prophecies wrote: »
    You're off to a good start. The roof needs to be curved though. Also, the scale is a bit off, it's too tall. Shrink it down a little. Also, just to point out, that isn't a shrine, it's actually a tea house, located at Tatton Park's Japanese garden. Not that it really matters though. The roof on the top image just isn't right at all. I actually used this very reference to model the roof of a small building I had started. Here's the result I had before I decided not to have that building in my environment: (Note: the scale of the roof isn't quite the same as the reference, I wanted mine shorter/stubbier, but you get the idea.)render3v.jpg

Thank you for providing a reference of your model as well. Though I had to ask, how did you model out your roof?
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    se7ered wrote: »
    yea...your roof is too narrow on top. Also you might wanna make the window pieces thicker ..they look like chicken wire rather than wood.

Thanks for pointing that out, because I totally missed that. =)
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the paintover, it really help me see what I need to work on.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your second picture is actually off to a great start. I went the same approach you did. Just make sure the sides are cut off, since there is some form of opening. Possibly for ventilation in the roof structure. Afterwards, I put in a few edge loops to round out the curvature of the roof itself. Look at the reference, and imagine it in wireframe. If all else fails, bring the reference image into Photoshop, and paint in the wireframe to give you a visual idea!
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    I'm still fixing the roof and there is quite a lot of detailings missing, but here is what I've fixed up so far.

The body/caging of the structure is less thin now. 2nrm4ad.jpg
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I really hope the bottom of the structure isn't made up of nondescript boxes.

Still a ton of missing details, re-reference the paintover.
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    Ott wrote: »
    I really hope the bottom of the structure isn't made up of nondescript boxes.

Still a ton of missing details, re-reference the paintover.

Sorry they are, I'll re-reference the paintover and make the structure more intricate.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a close look at the latticework. Yours are rectangular. The one in the reference is square.
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    Heres the update of my prop in highpoly.
    35hfyf9.jpg

More to Update
    2cxybs1.jpg

Sorry about the orthographic view 28tibcy.jpg