Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First ZBrush head

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I need a head to put on my creations, but i want a neat one and not just a retarded place holder model.

I need to smooth it out, but other than that could you guys CC? Im not going for a 100% photo real model, but one that will look good when put onto a characters body.

firsthead.png

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should check this out to learn a little more about the human anatomy for a proportionally-correct head. http://www.youtube.com/v/U4VyMLV7jGM Hope this helps. Even though the tutorial is for Mudbox, all the content can be applied to any 3D app, as most of it explains proportions and anatomy.
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    Get yourself a bunch of references of what you kinda want it to look like and go from there. One thing that I notice right off is his nostrils are too large. You're placement seems to be pretty good from the side view, I see you measured chin to nose, nose to eyebrow and middle of eye to top of the head. I would just work on those forms some more before you move on.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going for sort of a 45-55 year old man, i didn't guess so much on the wrinkles but I did go on google and look at some old people.

I've already attempted to make the nostrils less wide, but im getting some messed up results due to that edge.

Heres an update also

20zaae0.png
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try pulling the middle of the nose (the cartilage called the septum) down a little bit. It shouldn't be lined up with the nostrils perfectly.

Also, it looks odd how the neck seems to be more narrow at its base. The ears are probably the biggest issue at the moment though. I know how it goes though, ears aren't super straightforward to sculpt.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took your advice about the nose, and i had already noticed the neck problem right before i read your post. The ears... heh. I don't need them 100% perfect, but they shouldn't look too deformed or out of place. This will be relatively low poly so the ears wont need to be so detailed.

headsnew.png
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    The face is coming together more. You have a weird crease just under the edge of the nostril.

The line of the jaw should be smoother and the head looks like it is blending into the top of the ear.

You have come a long way. Getting people to look like people is a very hard subject.

The ears need work, but I'm assuming that you are going to sort them out later.
  • SveinKF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've done pretty good for your first zbrush head. I see some issues with the anatomy of the face and tried to make a quick liquify/paintover to see if it can help make the face look older aswell. Hope it helps. :) (Sorry if it seems a little messy. I'm at work so it was done rather hasty)

psliqpaint.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you just need to look at refs and study them , modeling out of your head will always come weird unless you are a great master , and even those use references :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    References from their heads! ^^ some people have a very good photographic memory so they remember all the shapes and details and they can see the picture in their heads. you only have to follow a good reference picture and you will be alright ;)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I think even with these great artists whom have supposed photographic memory can have problems. You notice some of them their models can look distorted, perhaps thats not the right world, but cut from a specific mold locked into a certain style.

You should definitely look at refs, you dont have to follow them exactly, but look at them, know the surfaces, and try to get the rough forms, and elements as close as you can.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    is it me or is it just easier to model the base in a modelling program like max or whatever then add a few details in zbrush.
    I always think models that are 100 per cent sculpted look a bit melty
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not bad at all for a first shot at this, defiantly use ref tho, its free on the internets, and there is no reason not to use it. also, dont get discouraged, it takes lots of practice to make heads look good.

also http://rapidshare.com/files/355765742/Head_Refinement.zip this might help? its from a sphere not a base, but most of the principles still apply. o and its free

-Woog
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, i think i lied about the age a little bit. I wasn't going for anything with too many wrinkles, i wanted him to be noticeably older though.

I tried my hand at texturing it, i don't need 100% detail as said before, but it needs to look good and noticeably correct.

i6kx28.png

Would anyone happen to know how i export the polypaint onto a texture?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Before you even think about polypainting you should fix your head and take everybody's advice here seriously. They are not talking about 100% detail they are talking about how to get the structure correct and your forms looking accurate. Your progress shows a bit, but you still need to work on getting all the planes of the face right.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee wrote: »
    Before you even think about polypainting you should fix your head and take everybody's advice here seriously. They are not talking about 100% detail they are talking about how to get the structure correct and your forms looking accurate. Your progress shows a bit, but you still need to work on getting all the planes of the face right.
    I was polypointing as a basic practice for how i will do it when i actually get to poly painting, me asking how to export it was for in the future and just handy to know.

I have read everyone's reply here. I was adding wrinkles in but i have a tendancy to smooth way to much because for some reason the new wrinkles wont look accurate. And i have been looking at references this whole time, but im picking and choosing what to exaggerate more.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well theres a difference between picking details and exagerating them , like brink characters and team fortress 2 do so well , and a mess of a head that i really doubt you used any references at all even if you claim so and wich just lack focus on the whole model. People like to throw the "its stylized" or "its cartoony" or "i want to exagerate" when they attempt to make a head and turn a mess , dont fall into that category.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    well theres a difference between picking details and exagerating them , like brink characters and team fortress 2 do so well , and a mess of a head that i really doubt you used any references at all even if you claim so and wich just lack focus on the whole model. People like to throw the "its stylized" or "its cartoony" or "i want to exagerate" when they attempt to make a head and turn a mess , dont fall into that category.
    I was looking at old people for wrinkle placement, but i have issues (not technical) with the smooth brush that makes me want to smooth them down to nothing.

I did a little bit of refining and here it is with a different mat cap. I was getting bumping blobby results around the creases from the nose to the mouth, i tried to clean it up a bit and it still didnt look to well so i took a picture with a different matcap. By exaggerate i didn't mean by stylizing it like TF2 etc, i mean to bring out certain key features so you go "hey, thats a head.".

I modified some wrinkled areas, the chin, the lower jaw, and the dropping of the eyes.

14v5tn7.png

The forehead has so much less polys than the rest of the face that any wrinkle i try to smooth in it will go completely flat.

I tried to refrain myself from smoothing down the wrinkles, and looked at more references and others art.
    30t16oo.png
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Things of note:

Eyelids. Older people's eyelids are usually more defined than younger peoples, but here your eyeballs are just sort of in "holes". Not entirely, but you know what I mean. Really try to define those upper and lower lids.

Lips. Your lips right now look like they've got no volume, which while doable - shouldn't result in them looking like they're stuck on.

Here we go, let's see if this'll, quick google search:

914_realsize.jpg

Notice how his lips look so much more like a part of his face, as opposed to being something separate that's been stuck on?

I don't know jack about zbrush, but there's what sticks out to me.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for those, i tried incorporating the wrinkles in and ill continue to do that, but just in case im going in the wrong direction or something is wrong heres a wip:

33bzfqp.png

Heres more progress:

9r0prr.png
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    wow looking MUCH BETTER! the chin seems a bit too wide though. and the cheekbones still look like they are too pinched in. id widen out the cheekbones and move the top part of the chin inward a bit.
  • Yamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In all of these stages, you have the crease going from the corner of the mouth to the bottom of the nostril, when it should really be curling around the top
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like around the outer skin of the nostril?

like:
    14n00fo.png

I got some CC on another forum saying the face looked like pudding, so i firmed it up a little bit, any better?

oldguyfirm.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manolderyea.png

Tried to firm up the face more.