Home General Discussion

Custom Laptop Skins... and Laptop Purchase

I've finally got enough money to buy me a laptop so I no longer need to lug this desktop PC around and... and I want to add a skin of my own design to pimp it up a little by making it cute :3.

Just wondering if anyone's tried this before or, more specifically, tried this website: http://www.schtickers.com/

They apparently let you design your own skin!

Also if anyone can suggest good laptops that'll let me easily run Autodesk Maya and Sketchbook (at the same time¬) I'd appreciate it. Haven't really decided on one yet and need to make sure the investment is a sound one. The bigger the screen the better.

My budget is pretty much unlimited (if I decide to open up my emergency savings and sell the cat!).

And if you want to pictures of your own sick cases or whatever, feel free to do so.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you considered a Mac or are you wanting a PC?

I bought a 13" Macbook Pro last year after having one of the older 15" Pro's, and it's been absolutely awesome. Build quality and design is incredible and obviously the Mac OS is rock solid.

Let me just say I'm not a full on Mac fanboy, I use a PC for work and like them equally, especially since Win7.

In terms of performance, I dual boot Win 7 64 and OS X and run all my usual 3D apps with perfectly adequate performance. Max / ZBrush / XNormal all perform well under Windows and Maya and Sketchbook Pro will run in either Mac or Windows.

The two problems with the MacBook Pro (well... all Macs) though are firstly cost. I agree the 'Apple Tax' is a little stupid and you can easily get a similar spec'd PC laptop at a much lower price. Secondly, if you plan to play any games, the integrated GPU on the 13" isn't really up to most of the current gen games. I think the 15"/17" have better cards though, my old 15" had a GeForce 9600 which was comfortable with gaming.

In terms of cases/skins, there's plenty available and while I haven't used the one you linked, they look pretty cool. I've got a SurfacePad and a Speck Case for mine, along with a Sleeve which is probably overkill but I like to keep it nice and safe :D

One other nice thing about Macs is that they hold their value well. I sold my 15" Pro about 18 months after I bought it and got a decent price for it.
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never used a Mac before so I won't be in a mood to try one as my first purchase. Best to stick with what you know instead of splurging for something you might hate if you know what I mean. Hate is a bit of a strong word but I've seen some Macs and am not a fan of the design... I prefer sharp edges to the form with smoother shapes across the surface... Maybe I look at too many low poly models...

So yeah. Got to be a PC!

Thanks for the links and the response but unfortunately they are indeed for Macs ;- ;
  • Malus
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice site, thanks.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PieJesu wrote: »
    I've never used a Mac before so I won't be in a mood to try one as my first purchase.

Yeah probably a good idea, could end up being a very expensive mistake!

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm out of touch with PC laptops.