Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Megaman Reimagined [W.I.P]

jakelear
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jakelear polycounter lvl 14
First and foremost, many thanks to Will Regan and Mike Nunes for their AWESOME CONCEPT. (Posted with permission)

I'm an avid listener of the Protomen. Some of you may have seen them at PAX East. For the uninformed, they've written/recorded a rock opera about Megaman, and have reimagined the story line in a way that is truly awesome.

This is my sculpt so far:
mega_render_04.jpg
mega_render_03.jpgmega_render_02.jpgmega_render_01.jpg

Replies

• Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    I have a soft spot for Mega Man, so...
    I think you could do the concept more justice. Things are blobby and not very structured.

- Renders are GIANT.

- He's too tall. Could do with some vertical scaling.

- The helmet could have been modeled in whatever 3d package you're using instead of attempted in ZBrush. You'd get much crisper lines making it look more solid. It looks like it has indents instead of being constructed and put together.

- Holster looks really flimsy. Given the western theme, I'd imagine it being more leathery? I don't think I've really ever seen a clothy material.

- Get some reference for the hands and feet. The fingers have that sausage look going on and there's a strange, big arch on the outside of his foot. The boots could also look more like cowboy boots (again, going off the western theme).

- The coat needs to have more of an overlap on the front. It still looks like it's all one continuous piece.

Take 'em or leave 'em.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to give me those crits. I'll definitely be taking them all into consideration. I definitely want to do the concept justice, and I want to improve.

Sorry if the renders are too big.
    So far I've touched up the overlap on the coat (probably work this further) and the holster a bit. I tried to make it more like a few pieces of leather stitched together, and I'll get into the micro-details on that at a later stage.

I need to find some reference. From the concept I imagined his gloves being rubber, akin to that of the Pyro, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

mega2.jpg

My next step is to rebuild the helmet in max and make it a nice, crisp hard-surface model.

I haven't touched the proportions yet, but, per your crit, I've noticed he could definitely lose some length in the thighs, and I think the torso should be just a tad shorter. His hands look to go almost down to his knees in the concept, so I definitely need to push the proportions a bit.

Thanks again!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say that the re-imagining seems like a far stray from megaman. Seems like too many elements of him are lost, sans the helmet. Even the megaman 1,2,9,10 box art still retains the robot suit feel. and the color sceme (of the concept anyways) is a little strayed..I wouldn't know it was megaman if you didnt say it was.

Thats just me, I'd like to see you prove me wrong with this guy. Modifying the color scheme to have the shades of blue alone might make a difference....that and the Megabuster.

The character himself seems really skinny/wirey. He looks like hes about a foot taller than he should be.

I like the idea of the rubber gloves..thats a start in the right direction.

Good luck!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I agree, I don't really like this re-imagining of Mega Man, a lot is lost and I don't think that I would recognize him as Mega Man if you didn't mention it. Right now it feels like you need to spend some time defining all the shapes. Like the cape, the gloves etc. Decide which elements that might be better of being created in your 3d modeling software.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps a blue, bullet proof vest would help the image. Admitted, this is, at least as far as i can tell, supposed to be a 'ye olde' version, based on the concept. Though I'm not certain. If that's the case, perhaps design wise you could go for more obvious machine parts, lo-tech armor and what not, though if you want to stay true to the concept do so. It looks cool. But it doesn't read easily as megaman without it being stated, yes.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    If this didn't say Megaman on it I would assume it was Judge Dredd sculpted out of Silly Putty. I know its supposed to be a 're-imagining' but like there was a Link reimaginging around a while back here and you could tell it was still Link even without the title, I see little to no Megaman in this model.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i'd go back to the concepting stage before you plan to go any further.. or just scrap the idea of calling this megaman and go for cowboy wearing bike helmet.

If your going old school look then maybe ditch the helmet and use a goggle design that can work with a hat. Maybe tight leather with banding and bolts instead of the loose cotton look.

heres a ref of steampunk sw that might help on transfering sci-fi to old school.

sp_z-group-hero.jpg
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    i'd go back to the concepting stage before you plan to go any further

roger that
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ok.. first off the concept isn't that bad, plus its not yours.

Does it scream the same blue suited megaman we've all seen a billion times? no.

However, it DOES look like a blue version of protoman (aka blues) crossed with some of the ideas from the megaman 1 and 2 coverart.

All that said some of the critiques still stand. Most of the work feels a bit blobby, the hard surface areas such as the helmet and gun would likely be better done in a non-sculpting program, or at least prepped in one.

Also the thighs of the pants aren't poofy enough. They're kinda ballooned in the concept, but are rather straight in your sculpt.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I like the re-imagining of this Megaman. I say add the low-tech megablaster (with a more revealing holster), and work some armor into it, and it will feel much more like a stylized version of Megaman. Also, I dig the cape. It makes him look more like an adult than the kiddie Megaman we are used to. That said, the color palette for the clothes would suit the idea better if it had more blue colors (when you get to that, obviously).

Also, I love the wirey and lanky version. A little proportion math would help (in the torso and biceps), but keep the exaggerated look (especially in the feet). It looks unique and fun that way :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks more like proto
    449124protoman.gif