Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

stocko2k's WIP thread

Its comming up to the end of my time at uni and for the last project weare having to do a group project where we make 1 map as a team and then were having it evaluated by staff at tt fusion.

stupidly i was put in charge of the group and have to manage everybody (they all hate me already because of my dictatorish nature lol) and i also have the task of implementing everything into the unreal engine (ut3 not udk as the college that the course is run at wouldnt allow us to install udk).

so anyways over the past few weeks ive made a few models for the map and just thought i would post them here see what bad language people use when they pull them to peices.

The map is an abandonned farm but when you get out into the feild you find a hidden entrance toan underground base (kinda like a bond villans type thing)

1st model is for the overground farm and is a garage type building the thought behind it was that it was once used as a barn for smaller live stock and as the farm grew they started to use it for vehicles (tractors, pick ups, that kinda stuff)
11.jpg

14.jpg

Next we have a barn that will be set up as a milking shed so it will have 8-10 stalls for cattle to be milked with feeding troughs and milking machinery
cattlebarn.jpg
cb2.jpg

a deisel tank for refuling tractors
deiseltank.jpg

and a modular wall set, the chainlink is alsomodular but unfortunatelyi didnt save a copy of the straight peice when i made the corner its in unreal though
modwall2.jpg
modwall1.jpg

let me know what you think andi shall add more images as things get done

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    You should give more love to your normal maps, they all look baked directly from the texture in Crazybump. make some proper normal maps from highpoly models to pieces like the Diesel Tank or the metal planks of the Barn.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The roof in the first image along with some of the other models are a little over saturated IMO.

The growth on the walls surrounding the fueling station doesn't really make sense, it's sprawled all over and it seems stretchy.
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That project is over now i may revisit some of those peices for my own learning and development now that i'm no longer a student but i thought i would start something completely new that i could work on without any deadlines and can redo stuff as much as i like.

so with that said...

As part of the project I am working on i'm making a rundown old house thats been left to fester and have started on the bathroom. the house will be playable in udk but I am making each room as a seperate scene also for rendering out as portfolio peices.
    Any advice on how to make the scene better would be cool.

bathroom5.jpg
    topdown.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhh.. wheres the door? Maybe you should flesh out the purpose of your scenes and give each room a little backstory.. like.. why is the toilet broken, or why is the door missing?(lol i kid, i kid) but make some interesting, unique aspects of each scene so the viewer or player actually spends time thinking about what they're doing in there..
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the doors missing on this 1 as its position will be behind the cameraobviously be different in udk but for the max renders i didnt wanna spend my time modelling something thats not going to be visible
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update of the bathroom
    bathroom8.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started doing some low poly assets cause i want to be an environment artist yet have nothing environmental to show off. I still need to texture the ladder andmaybe add a few more peices not sure what though. i might also do a variation on this in a fantasy setting, so it would be the kinda assets you find in WOW and other fantasy games.

withoutdof.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey people

redesigned the scene to show them together and will also be putting each asset into its own image with render, texture sheets and wires.

the scene is about 50% built and then i will start looking into lighting and finding decent angles that show off the assets at thier best.

Scene.
    SCENE.jpg
    SCENE1.jpg

Assets.
    barrel.jpg
    barrel1.jpg
    box.jpg
    box1.jpg
    DUMPSTER.jpg
    DUMPSTER1.jpg
    pallet.jpg
    pallet1.jpg
    spool1.jpg
    spool.jpg
    WINDOW.jpg
    WINDOW1.jpg

Comments are definately welcomed.
    Thanks
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    The textures look a little rushed, like you took a stock photo, moved it to the right place on your UV and called it done with little else done to it. And as Cap Hotkill said, the normals are definitely lacking. If you have normals in the latest batch of images they aren't showing up at all as far as i can see.

My biggest crit right now would be to go back and give some love to your textures, do something to them other than just making them sit on your model in the right place. Dirty them up maybe in the nooks and corners of your models, mix up more than one photoreference into each UV island and definitely bake out an ambient occlusion lighting pass to add some much needed depth. Spend the same care and attention on the normals too, and it will really show.
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started to redo the texture for the dumpster at a higher res still got quite a bit to get done on it though, and texturing is definately not my strong point so the practice is good for me.

the left is the original the right the new
    binoldvnew.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will make changes if suggested but for now i'm calling this done, i've set up a display image though not sure if i like it and if an employer saw it if they would even take notice of it.

final+display+small.jpg
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So now that i've got a couple textures done completely hand painted i thought i would try and do everything by hand as i found doing metal textures really helped me to think about what the object would really look like.

This image has my old photo manipulation texture and the new hand painted texture, hows the new 1 looking, am i even close to getting it right?

boxes.jpg