Home Technical Talk

3D Max - Transmographier help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

For any one that uses this modifier in Max. Ive been trying to get this to work but....it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I've tried the following workflow.

* Copying a symmetrical mesh.
* Using the transmographier modifier on the original mesh and selecting the copied mesh as reference.
* Selecting "Mirror" as the operation and then using both Edit Poly in the stack and Editable Poly to modify a section of the mesh.

Unfortunately nothing seems to be happening. Anyone got any tips on how this works? Cheers in advance.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Transmog goes on the copy and targets the original. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as transmog is on the mesh you're tweaking. I have all of my tweaked meshes reference the same default head.

The stack on my tweaked copy looks like this:
    +Transmog (goes on top, targets the default untweaked mesh)
    +Edit Poly (do all of the edits here so if you screw up you can delete it, add a new edit poly and start over)
    +Editable Poly (base modifier)

The mesh does need to be perfectly symmetrical, not just in theory but perfectly, same number of verts on either side. Sometimes the center seam will create long thin polys creating a non symmetrical mesh.

I use transmog all day long most days of the week, and when it fails to work its almost always the mesh not being perfectly symmetrical. The local pivot point should also be in the center of the mesh.

I could take a look at the mesh and probably get it working if you need me to? It can be a bit picky but once you get it working it saves a mother f-ton of time.

Oh... also you might be editing the opposite side that its mirroring so move something on the other side and see if you need to flip some of the settings in transmog.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Ah, it was the Edit Poly which was the problem. I had it at the top of the stack and not underneath the Transmog. Its working now. Thanks mate.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh yea that'll do it. Glad its working!