Home General Discussion

XCOM

Replies

• PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I'm enjoying this game. Got quite far on my first go, but then lost funding for Xcom :D

However, when I started a new game, it got fucking stupidly hard. I am playing on Ironman Classic, but it's just ridiculous. Every single shot I take (50%+ aim) misses, and then the sectoids on the very first mission just kill my squad almost instantly. Wtf?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    First 2-3 months went rather well, and then everything just went to complete and utter shit (poor facility building choices haven't helped; I'm still on regular armor and regular assault rifles... o_O). I'm out of money, and my funding's likely to run out at the end of this month. I have maybe enough artifacts to sell to net me a squad of rookies, to fill out my currently-empty barracks.

528F1469A9B39017C412D643AF4D293DE64010BB
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. Playing through my 2nd time on Ironman Classic. Its really REALLY hard. I just got a squad wiped out on a terror mission, and that nation withdrew from the council immediately after that fail.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im doing classic ironman as well, damn hard. Some of the LOS issues are really bugging me how aliens can shoot clear through a wall or bulding corner.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ace, man, I mean this in the best possible way: You just aren't very good at the game yet. I REALLY love this game, goty for me at least, so I hope you keep playing to a point where you don't see these situations as negatives anymore. The issues you're running into with the ai poppong your guys from behind cover is a mixture of a few factors. Using the environment carefully isnt a matter of just finding cover and shooting from it, it's about using the entire board to minimize your risk of getting attacked and maximize the enemy risk of getting attacked.

1- The game is designed to very much resemble the original x-com, which is basically a 'get sniped from across the map' simulator. It's easier to protect troops in xcom, but still not very easy. Your biggest obstacle in this game is minimizing chances for your soldiers to die. Especially on classic, aliens do not make this easy, and will employ all kinds of bully tactics, like rushing floaters past reaction fire to get no cover shots, or setting multiple aliens on overwatch so that you have to either leave a guy in bad cover or chance him against 3 plasma rifles if he tries to move. Every effort should be made to protect your troops. Firing your only rocket at a lone sectoid isn't silly at all if it means a 90% chance to NOT expose a soldier to the enemy moving up and flanking him.

2- Psychologically people who don't play a lot of dice based games, or otherwise deal with statistics in their real life, don't realize how big of a chance 20% or 30% is. If your entire tactic relies on putting a guy in full cover where the aliens have probably 25% shot chances on him and hoping he doesn't die, you are in trouble. In the inverse, if you have 3 guys with 30% chance to hit a lone alien in their line of sight, it's usually a better chance to just have them all fire than push someone up and look for a flank -- your odds of getting a hit are pretty good, and the repercussions are pretty low, vs the huge risk of the guy you move being exposed to some unseen threat in the fog of war.

3- GET SQUAD SIGHT ASAP for those snipers. It not only lets them use teammates line of sight to fire, it also applies to overwatch, so they can fire from outside of range on enemies you uncover or anyone who moves to try to flank your team. This is a lifesaver on classic.

4- If there is just no good move, nothing that gets you more than say a 20% chance to hit that one muton who's about to ruin your day, just fall back! Making an enemy move forward (hopefully through some reaction fire) to even get line of sight back on your guys is ideal. Remember, your team has to (hopefully) last you 20-25 missions, whereas the alien team just needs to kill one or two of your guys to ruin your day. You have to be much more conservative about your guys than the alien ai player does.

Dude, one of my soldiers who was on lower ground, behind a bin, just shot through the floor, a wall, a bridge and a shield against a Marauder, and got a critical, who is is about 4 Dash away from me while in Watch.

The enemy couldn't even shoot at me, and had to Dash 4 times, AROUND the corridor before they could be in LOS. I couldn't shoot at enemy if I manually select my soldier even.

You honestly cannot defend these types of bugs, they're becoming worse as I progress in the game, to the point that after one mission I lost one of my soldiers for NO reason...they just weren't there anymore. I'm surprised they didn't release a mini-patch or something like that ASAP to at least quell some of the bugs, or at least release a set of 'posts' which explain if there is a way to avoid a bug by not doing such and such.

I understand it's a Firaxis Game, and as such, just like Bethesda and/or Obsidian, there will be certain bugs that will irk people, but even by their standard this game has too many bugs, especially for a non-indie release which cost 50$ and is nowhere near complicated as Civ.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Will certainly be jumping back into this!

http://kotaku.com/xcom-enemy-unknown-gets-its-first-major-expansion-this-1175378649

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCSoqdOZ0-M"]XCOM: Enemy Within Revealed: First Gameplay and Details from XCOM's Rocket-Punching Expansion - YouTube[/ame]
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    looks freaken awesome!!! It's super refreshing to see strategy on the consoles. Playing through xcom currently... hope I don't get my squad killed ;)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Lol, look at Ananda all clean shaven :)
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but a free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be given out to anybody that votes in this year's golden joystick awards which can be found here. Copies will be sent out through e-mail on October 23rd.