Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] KDM3D - Environment/Prop artist

Hey guys, I'm currently in the job hunt, (contract is about to end) and want to make sure my site really sings. I'd love crits on both content and site, it would be good to have more eyes on this than just mine...

Appreciate the comments!

www.kdm3d.com

Replies

• kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I know it sucks I cant put any of my Reach stuff in here yet... there are some good additions.... ugh -1k for NDA's... :(
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    First off, +1 for your last name. You spelled it correctly an everything. :) I hate when people spell it Meyers don't you?

Anyways, I think you have some nice work there but to me your site is overly complicated and seems a bit cluttered imo.

Also, the flash or whatever it is you are using to view your images is god awful imo. It takes ages to load and is just plain annoying.

Honestly, I would highly recommend you simplify your website. My favorite example is Adam's website from right here. http://www.adambromell.com/

Notice how he has his contact information right there, his shipped titles listed, and a little brief about him. There is no painful clicking on stuff, loading time or anything. Just BAM and you have all your information and huge screen shots and stuff that speak volumes.
    His website is actually what inspired me to make mine the way it is.

Anyways, good luck with the job hunt. You have some cool titles under your belt, I'm sure you won't have any problems. And if you clean up your presentation, you definitely won't have problems.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah... Fred Meyer, Oscar Meyer... who needs em...

thanks for the crti, I set up that lightbox a while ago, thought it looked clean, but your right I might sacrifice that for a more traditional display.

Thanks again. Anyone else? Are there some pieces in there I should pull? some I should feature? Etc?
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would like to get a few more eyes on this one.... sorry for the bump...
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with Brad. The presention doesn't do your work justice. I think the title bar and the square hashes make it seem quite dated. I'd lose the squares and try and simplify the title.

Also on this page the thumbnails look pretty bad but the work is good.
    http://www.kdm3d.com/assets.htm

-I would either do Brads idea and have a lot of work on one page.
    -Or make bigger thumbnails, making the viewer more compelled to have a look.
    -Or even have each game you've worked on have one page each with all that that games art. This may be better because I think you have too much work to just load everything on one page.

Yeah the art is good but the presention is bad so I would definately simplify it, it would help so much.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, some good feedback. Presentation is definately something I need to improve. Shouldn't be a problem. What about the work itself. I know your port is only as strong as its worst piece. Anything on there that you guys think is hurting me? That I should pull off? What are some of the pieces you think I should feature?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, to be completely honest, I can't say what you should pull and what you should keep simply because I don't want to spend the time searching threw every images. You have a ton of images, I can't get a very good idea how good they are from the thumbnail alone. Then when I do click on the thumbnail, I have to wait for it to load, only to get a medium resolution look.

My suggestion is to clean up your presentation, and use your best judgment on what you want to include. Once its easy and quick to view, I bet you will get really good crits on what to keep and what not to. Sorry this is probably not the answer your looking for, but with how crazy work is for me right now, personally I can't take the time to look threw each image. I'm guessing a lot of other people feel the same way.

Good luck man!
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makes perfect sense to me. ok, I'll be back, you haven't seen the last of me! MWA HAHAH..

actually thats cool, I completely understand... thanks for the feedback.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You commented, I reacted. Check out the redsign of the website. Tell me what you think.

and NO MORE LIGHT BOX!!!

Anyway, the "about", "resume", and "recomendations" section is still broken, they need to be fixed but I ran out of time last night. The artwork side is what I am most concerned about right now. The branded presentation is still up in the air. I'm debating whether or not to move it to something that fits this site a little more, or keep it the way it is. Anyway back to my above questions:)

"What about the work itself. I know your port is only as strong as its worst piece. Anything on there that you guys think is hurting me? That I should pull off? What are some of the pieces you think I should feature?"
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looks good man.

i dont know if anyone mentioned but the resume button in the resume section is broken lol
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kdm3d wrote: »
    Anyway, the "about", "resume", and "recomendations" section is still broken, they need to be fixed but I ran out of time last night.

yeah I know that one :(
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    daamn im even lazy when it comes to reading.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, all links and everything should be working now. Anyone else?
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Try and center it if you can. The website is on the left of my screen in firefox. The design looks a lot, lot better.

I think the recommendation idea is really good.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    The art looks good, but I am not too fond of the big KDM3D watermark on all of the pictures.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was considering going through and rebranding all my images. And making them more printer friendly. (ie less black) Some of my stuff is condusive to that others not... but yeah, the watermarking needs to be more subtle. Thanks for the crits!
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, took a lot of crits, got a lot of feedback. If ya'll wouldn't mind taking a look, for one final check. Also we have a lot of new faces in here, so a bump wouldn't be a bad idea:

www.kdm3d.com

looking for comments on the site AND the work.

Thanks for taking a look!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some really great work up there. You definitely have a lot of great pieces up there that show off your skill, not to many and not to few images. As far as things I saw that could be improved on, for one site navigation. Its good now but I would recommend moving the links around having it go home, resume, recommendations, then about. Also I found a few minor grammatical errors under your recommendations section, Like this for example " he continued to grow as an artist, and also teach many of us new tricks." Just change teach to taught. Also another grammatical error I found was "and present himself in a professional manner." Just change present to presents. These grammatical errors are only minor in my opinion though. Hope this helped. I wish you the best of luck in your job search.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the look. I'm hesitant to change the grammar on those just because it was a direct quote written by someone else. What do you guys think? Alter quotes? or put a [gic] next to it? that would draw attention to it though.
  • ToothyMang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they are direct quotes just leave them. Also on the main page "Recomended" is spelled wrong. Needs another M. Also great content. Clean wireframes and good textures.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn... nice catch
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I hope I didnt come off to harsh. Also another thing I noticed at least on my computer is the placement of your resume. I didnt realize it was at the far right because I was required to scroll over. I cant wait to see the halo reach stuff.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude... no harshness taken, its part of the business:)

You were required to scroll over? What browser are you using? I know on IE it looks good, but I've had some trouble with Firefox...
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Nice stuff dude! The only crit i have is that i find it a bit weird looking at it left aligned, i think you should maybe give it a try with center alignment or even right.

Nice work!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok cool. I was using firefox when viewing your website.
  • NiklasT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NiklasT polycounter lvl 7
    Tip: I'm not a guy that hires people at a big computer game company but if I were I think I would like to see that "Available Immediately!" text in green instead of red since red is a color of unavailability!
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with NiklasT it's small things like that, that help overall. Great work technically wise. I'll be checking back everyone one and while until that reach section comes out.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guy, Again, I appreciate the look. The reason that was red was strictly that of contrast. Everything is done in cool blues and grays, to have something red makes it jump off the page. and the fact I am available with no waiting is a fact I want majorly predominate.

If it were green, I fear it would blend in and not be necessarily read first off.

Again, I like these suggestions, they make for good discussions!