Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington ACR / Magpul Masada

Well for over a year now I have been following the development of this rifle and its many stages and companies that it has been through lol. I still like the original name of the Masada. Magpul didn't have the man power to produce rifles on such big scale such as Remington and Bushmaster. Anyways past gun talk and back to 3D talk lol. As you can tell I am really into guns but anywho. Plus I plan on picking up the civilian version of this gun when they release it. If i can drop almost 3g on it lol.

Here are some screens. Also the gun is going to have the Advanced Armament Corp. suppressor on it. I have not decided on what kind of optics I am going to include on it. Mostly likely I'm going to do an Aimoint Comp M3 on it.
:poly124:
I've included the Highpoly, low with tri count, and lowpoly with the normal map and base diffuse on it in the viewport with a direct x shader. I am going to do multiple textures for this gun.

highpolyrender.jpg
acrwireTRIcount.jpg

WIP.jpg
wip1.jpg

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great, A lil bit too low poly for a FPS view but for a third person view is great, I would make used versions of the texture and a higher poly low poly model, around 3k.
    good work anyway, it looks very clean ;)
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I was trying to mimic COD poly counts. They use about 3k tris on their weapons so I was shooting for it to be under 3k. Thats why it is so low. I would have added more detail in it as well if i could have but the textures are far from done.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty good. Don't be so apologetic, there are plenty of gun nerds on this forum, if you haven't noticed already. Some of it's a survival mechanism though, since they have to model so many guns whether they want to or not.

But on that note, for a self-professed ACR fan it really doesn't look like you've nailed the Flat Dark Earth color.

2ji1e.jpg

Yours is a little too saturated, a little too shiny. And what's with the mottling of the color? The plastic tends to look more consistently toned than that. And if you really want to get fancy there should be some very slight material differentiation between the metal and the plastic bits, though the ACR doesn't seem to have the color inconsistencies like the SCAR does in that department.

All that said nice work. So, are you picking one up for the low low price of $2.5k ? :)
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I was just messing around with an A-TACS camo scheme. Its far from done. that was really just a test of the colors and the normal and ao map on it. Believe me Im going to try to make it look as perfect as I can lol. I'm basing my pictures off of alot of pictures taken from Advanced Armament. They gave away an ACR back at the Silencer Shoot and They posted quite a few upclose pictures of it. But I'm kind of putting pieces from the older ACR or shall I say Masada and the new Actual Bushmaster ACR.

-Edit- I actually want to pick up the $3k one tbh lol. But I can't afford it. I wish they would make the Massoud. The 7.62 one they were making a while back.

-Another Edit- I am going to do a whole A-TACS camo on the gun. Everything will be in it. Here is a picture of the new A-TACS camo design for those who don't know.
    enlrgimg1.jpg
    KRISS-with-A-TACS.jpg
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some quick updates. I'm still working on the textures so there is no spec map and I still need to add more to the Normal map. C&C please and thank you!

wipnewtexture1.jpg
    wipnewtexture.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Can we see it from first person perspective?
  • roB0T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the high-poly has so much more potential, u should re-do your low-poly model mate. really, reconsider everything and start a new lowpoly model with more details and geometry (the silencer has 6 sides i mean wtf?).
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do agree about the suppressor. I didn't even look at it from the first person perspective until last night and then i saw how horrible it looked it being 6 sides. I'm trying to keep it under 4000 tris too. I still have about 250 to work with though.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The red circle's are problem areas. Also the front sight post was based off of the Troy industries BUIS but instread of doing the M4 style front sight post i went with an AK style because I'm so used to looking down my own AK it just came to me. I will change it so it flares out like the M4 front sights do.
    Also added more geo to the suppressor.
    fpsview.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's definitely too low poly for a first person model - the stock will be right in your face and it's very blocky, and other details are left too much to the normal map.
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont forget to delete unused polygons to save tris/polys
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. I'm re working with it right now. Adding more detail in the curves of the gun and taking out parts I don't need.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    So are we going to have to pay double the originally quoted MSRP for this model, too? :D
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your map size? Looks awfully blurry.

Also 5-7k tris is about average now for a fps view weapon. Don't waste polys but don't be overly zealous about having it really low poly.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9- Yes we are since its the upgraded version lol.
    Rang3r1- Its 1024x1024. I recieved some specs on how the guns were done in CoDmw2 and I am trying to do my own version with the specs. Which were 3-4k tris and 1000x1000 texture sheet.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can do a lot more than what you've done so far with 3-4k tris.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said I'm reworking it. I've been out of 3D for a while and this was a project I started a while back. I do appreciate the criticism but I feel its more negative than contstructive. Maybe tell me where I can add to make it better than just be straight up and tell me that I can just do more than what I have.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krazy8 wrote: »
    Like I said I'm reworking it. I've been out of 3D for a while and this was a project I started a while back. I do appreciate the criticism but I feel its more negative than contstructive. Maybe tell me where I can add to make it better than just be straight up and tell me that I can just do more than what I have.

Well, I've been modeling guns for years, and seen a lot of gun models, and usually in that polygon range there's a lot more detail and smoothness. It's probably those rails that are eating up your polygon count.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a lot of rails because the particular style of the ACR I am doing. But I am going to clean up what I can and try to get to the max of 4000 tri's.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's your current tri count?
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3842 currently
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here is what I see, and what can be improved upon.

I don't know what it is, but that 1024 map seems awfully pixelated, right in fps view too. Either you made things a little too small on the UV, or what, but I don't know.

As for the low, I would make the bottom rail one solid piece, and then normal map the rails in, there it would not be as noticeable, you can also do that for the rail on the right side, that should save quite a bit of tris. I just don't see where all 4000 tris are coming from, even with the rails. The ACR that you are doing there is quite boxy, so you don't need very complex geo...

You high poly looks great though, I just see it as a shame to not have an equally nice low, I think an extra 1000 tris wont hurt performance, but I understand you would like to stay within a set limit.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    Pixelation could also be an old graphics card problem. I get the same problems. It really sucks :(
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm.

Krazy, can you post a wireframe of the low poly?
  • Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garage, he have already done that
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rang3r1 - I think it might be because I made things a little to small on the UV. I am going to rework it and re bake my normals because I think that is the problem.

I_R_Hopo - I just built my computer a year ago so I doubt that is the issue.

GarageBay9 - I will post one a new one up with the new clean up I have done. I have been pretty busy this weekend so I didn't get much done.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The problem is more your poly distribution. You say the model is 3-4 k polies. Of that, roughly 1000 have gone into the rails.

In my opninion, you'd be better off either setting for a more realistical polycount, say 6000, or face the fact that you'd make better use of polies if you were to normalmap the rails. Even if you were to just normalmap the left and right rail, which you hardly ever see contributing to the profile (I think) you'd free up around 400 polies.

These could then be used to smooth out the suppresor, grip, and bevel the stock some. There's some smaller issues too (the front of the ironsights could do with a bit of optimization, you could do with a couple of insets on the main body etc, but the largest issue is the poly-nomming of the rails.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still messing around with the textures and the normal and spec but how is this? I am digging it more but Idk seems a little to dirty but I kind of like it. I went ahead and put it into marmoset as well.

WIP-1.jpg
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Man, nice going.

Comment about the dirtying up would be the same as usual wear and tear texturing, the devil is in the details. Right now the grime is almost uniformly coated which seems odd. Really nice dirt in the grip, though.) I'd like to see some of the broader areas of the upper generally cleaner.

Also if you're trying to suggest a gun that is seeing a lot of field use, keep in mind fouling. Any gun after a lot of shooting is going to collect more soot around the muzzle, but a suppressed weapon is a special case. Since it's all about retarding gases escaping the muzzle, the action gets waaaay more dirty than normal. Not that there's much you can do to suggest that, other than say some more junk caked around the charging hand--

hey wait a minute, where is your ambi-charging handle? Not on the version you chose to depict, or what? :)
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, I kept it left side charging handle only lol. I went ahead and kept it simple. I know since shooters in game are right hand operators there wasn't a need for the other one lol. I was taking reference from the ACR that Advanced Armorment took pictures of. It is more the late model ACR so really I guess I shouldn't call it the Masada haha as much as I want too. Yea i will definately put more grime near the charging handle. I need to tone down the uniform dirtiness too. Thank you for your input gauss.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, right now it looks like dirty stone. The texture is way too noisy and way too uniform, and it's too dirty overall. There's no way a gun would be worn like that unless you dunked it in mud for an hour, then let it dry and didn't clean it ever.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update before I go to bed. How do we like it now? I added more into the normal maps and im still messing with the bullet markings on the reciever. I added alot more detail in the gun and on the suppressor. C&C please!

WIP-2.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It still has a noisy base texture that shouldn't be there. The stock sort of looks carpeted and the metal still doesn't really look metallic.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stock is supposed to look like that. If anything I can just scale down the bumpiness. It is polymer. It has a texture like that. Its not carpet. Have you seen upclose what an ACR looks like? The lower reciever and stock are all polymer composite material. It has a bumpy look to it. I still need to work out my specular map but I think the stock looks pretty damn good compared to what it did before.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at multiple references, I see no noisy polymer texture on the polymer parts of this gun:

D100_8656_img.jpg
    09rem5156acradprintread.jpg
    SHOT%20Show%202007%20-%20Magpul%20Industries%20Masada%205.56mm%20Rifle-Carbine_3.jpg
    Magpul_Masada_ACR_by_Drake_UK.jpg
    magpul_masada_shot_show_2007.jpg
    Noisy texture in the last image is due to compression, as you can see it's also on the metal.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    God damn that gun looks like a plastic toy in that guys hands...
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Looking at multiple references, I see no noisy polymer texture on the polymer parts of this gun:

D100_8656_img.jpg
    09rem5156acradprintread.jpg
    SHOT%20Show%202007%20-%20Magpul%20Industries%20Masada%205.56mm%20Rifle-Carbine_3.jpg
    Magpul_Masada_ACR_by_Drake_UK.jpg
    magpul_masada_shot_show_2007.jpg
    Noisy texture in the last image is due to compression, as you can see it's also on the metal.

Well Like I said before have YOU seen a polymer gun upclose and held it before? I'm not talking about pictures I'm asking if you have seen it up close. Even if you have held or seen a Glock up close you would understand what I am talking about. But I went ahead and uploaded this image for you since you don't seem to understand what I am talking about. Also like I said before if your criticize people's work tell them what they are doing right not always negative and saying what is wrong with it. I know you like to point out flaws a lot but also telling people what they are doing right is a good thing.

acr03.jpg

Now please tell me you don't see the bumpiness in the reciever? If you can't well I'm sorry then I don't know what to tell you.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking good! The only thing I have to say is the metallic part. Seems the spec map isn't reading well. Work that out and bam you'll have a nice gun!
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I do agree. That is what made my gun look so dirty before it was the spec map. I had it way to noisy and it was giving off alot of dirt.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krazy8 wrote: »
    Well Like I said before have YOU seen a polymer gun upclose and held it before? I'm not talking about pictures I'm asking if you have seen it up close. Even if you have held or seen a Glock up close you would understand what I am talking about. But I went ahead and uploaded this image for you since you don't seem to understand what I am talking about. Also like I said before if your criticize people's work tell them what they are doing right not always negative and saying what is wrong with it. I know you like to point out flaws a lot but also telling people what they are doing right is a good thing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/KrazyGnome84/acr03.jpg

Now please tell me you don't see the bumpiness in the reciever? If you can't well I'm sorry then I don't know what to tell you.

I've seen polymer close up, and your texture is way too big and way too substantial compared to the real thing. The texture is barely noticeable, even close up, but on your model, it's obviously textured from far away in a small image.

if you have a problem with negative criticism, maybe you shouldn't post your work here. Saying 'looks good' isn't really helpful to anyone.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no problems with criticism. If you read older posts you will see that I have altered my gun in ways to try to make it better. It's just that everytime you post you pick out something new to harp on and to me it seems like it will never be good enough. I know that you are right on most occasions and I'm not saying your wrong. I know I can rework this thing about a million times and I know I wont be happy with it but I'm just trying to push it along and get started on something else. Also I said before that I would resize my texture to make the bumpiness smaller. From here on out I will post updates and say what you wish but I will continue to post on what I feel I need to improve on.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know its been a while but I have been working on other things. I think I am going to call it done. I sharpened the texture as well to try to get rid of some of the blurriness. That is my fault on improper UV layout most likely. Let me know what you all think about it good or bad I don't care I just want to know lol.

CompleteACR.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I think your textures read better before, now they look pixilated in some areas especially in the butt. Overall I would work on the spec to make those metal parts really pop. Maybe you could show your uv layout so we can see what needs help.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As requested here they are. I have watched some of the AK tutorial videos I just havn't watched them all yet.

acrnormals.jpg
    acr_D.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with a lot of what you said in regards to critique Krazy and I do agree and see that there is bumpiness on the receiver, however I think the bumpiness on your map is larger/broader than it actually is. In that reference shot it looks so small on the real thing that when viewed at a distance it is barely noticeable. I think that is what Kitteh was seeing.

I know its hard making these things and to some people you can never do enough almost. In the end we're doing this mostly for ourselves because we love and enjoy doing it, I think we need to remember that and not try to suck out all the fun from it while being respectful and courteous to others

Nice work so far by the way :)
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DKK Yea I will most likely unwrap the whole thing again with uniform scale this time lol. I know if i do that it will turn out better. But for now I am going to move on to other projects because I am kind of getting burned out right now. Also one reason the spec looked off was because dummy me didn't mess with the glossiness setting in Max when I was messing with the shader so it was very broad. Once I tweaked it some it came out much better.

@EricV Yea I knew what he was saying, I did agree but I guess the way It was just coming off idk. I tried to scale it down too but because of my UV it shows very bulky bumpiness I guess lol.