Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jonathan F prop art

Replies

• raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    if i may butt in here a bit, the reason why jonathan and myself get so intricate with our models is to show that we can recreate a piece using reference. I suggested he used an odd sided cylinder because when he hides that one odd sided edge on the back of the granade, the granade's low poly silhouette ill look a lot smoother since is not symmetrical anymore.

Snader - for portofolio purposes, we try to get very low in our tri budgets. And yes, this may be argued farther along...but lets just let it die here! :P

and by the way, those were good things you pointed out! :)
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    Hey everyone! back with an update. I'm working on learning how to use this Marmoset, spent a couple of restless nights trying to learn how to do different things. I owe a lot of thanks to this amazing site! Still SO much to learn about normal mapping! http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map
    Here is my first go at Marmoset engine. I still have a lot to do with this bad boy. especially texturing. I did point out several things I know I still need to work on. So if you see anything else that I could use some more loving. please do point them out! Thanks guys!
    Marmosetgrenaderenders_1.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added the smiley face for fun... not apart of reference. :D Also will be making that pop out more when I give more detail to the normal map so it doesn't look so flat with the texture.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah man... Im having lots of fun with this Marmoset now. This is the coolest thing ever! Here is another update. still haven't done several of the things I'm going to get to.. but I just had to see my progress and I'm loving it!
    Marmosetgrenaderenders_2.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty then! I believe I am done! Learned a lot from this grenade! Looking forward to applying what I have learned towards the phone now. I have already done the low poly of the phone... will have a posting of that as soon as I lay out the UV's nicely.
    Marmosetgrenaderenders_3-1.jpg

Marmosetgrenaderenders_4.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so here is where I am at with testing what I got so far done on the baking process of the phone. Not added the alpha for the cord yet. I just wanted to see how everything was coming out so far. Pretty happy for the most part.

MarmosetPhoneRender_1.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    not bad. you've got so many waves u could sink a whole island with that! lol. Also, there a lot of part where u need to worry about the outside silhouttes 1st, and the worry about the inisde. TLike the cylindrical parts of the inside phone.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No offense, but if you've gotten better results with 10 sided geometry then 8 sided geo, you've screwed up somewhere. I went ahead and spent 30 minutes on these 2 models.

grenadenormals.png
    Left one has 1 bump per poly, gives really nice, even results.
    Right one would/should give nicer results but that would involve tweaking the cage some more(you can see some shading errors on the lowest bumps).

I understand you want to have some inside modeling for "seeing the clip fly off and seeing that detail." But I'm gonna argue that you'd get a lot more visual effect from the silhouette unless you only have the insides on screen, and then your 500 poly model isn't gonna cut it either. You've got the pullring on a plane, but spent about 100-200 polies on the innards? That's triple the amount of your cylinder (4x10x2=80 triangles) , triple the amount of my left model(5x8x2=80 triangles), and quite a waste.

@raul I have nothing against low polycounts, I have something against polies spent in places where they're not that necessary. If you're gonna go for lowpoly like a flat hull, do it properly and decimate the whole model to about 200 polies. Because the difference between these models would hardly be noticable ingame, if at all:
    grenadedecimate.png

BTW those statements contradict eachother don't you think? Making something very intricate and going as lowpoly as possible.

On the phone, you might want to read through this thread: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=50516 and some similar ones. The central cylinder shape thing looks like the top in the first picture, and it'd look better if it were like the bottom of the first picture.

You might also like to add a few more polies to the lower rings. The top one has just as much sides, but has only 1/8th of the diameter or something. And you could optimize the bells with one of these sphere variations:
    spheres_and_polycounts.png
    They might be useful for the 4 spheres at the top too.

I'm not sure if the circular extrusions on the top box are extruded, or separate elements. I'd go with elements like this:
    separate.png
    Looks nicer, and saves a whopping 2 triangles per side. Plus makes it easier to bake.

Do the gears have to rotate? It might be worth it to combine the top half of the large gear with the housing.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snader for your time of posting. You made a lot of great points. But I'm not exactly trying to go as low as possible here. The goal was to stay under 500 for the project and no more. Plus this is a portfolio piece that can look a little bit nicer and paying attention to details. I'll go back and fix the texture of the grenade later on when I have time to focus on my texturing skills. Now if the goal was to stay under 300... different story. If your given a limit amount, I personally suggest sticking with that and make whatever it is your making look the best as possible with that limit... Unless you absolutely don't need too... but thats up to you.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you aimed for 500. I did that with the first one too, but Raul said something about "try to get very low in our tri budgets" so I went and made that was very lowpoly. My point was, with both these posts, that the detail levels are inconsistent. You have a very bland cylindrical part, which is fine if you're going for lowpoly, ingame, optimized, whatever you want to call it. But the insides are very very detailed.

If you're going for a nice and detailed portfolio grenade, that's good, but this one isn't detailed. It misses geometry for some really large shapes. This isn't about not having detail, or having too much detail, it's about wrongly prioritizing detail. Instead of clinging to the polygon budget, aim for bang-for-the-buck. You stayed inside the 500 limit, but that forced you to sacrifice a lot of exterior detail.

Consider some of these things. You don't have to implement them, but think about it:
    ...does the firing pin actually need to be 10 sides, and have that... nipple?
    10sided+nip = 60 tris, 8 sided cylinder = 28 tris, removing the backsides -> 22 tris -> 38 tris saved
    _
    ..\ do you need the 9 loops on the striking lever, or could 3 loops show enough detail?
    ...| 9 loops 9x3x2 = 54 triangles, 3x3x2= 18 triangles -> 36 tris saved

Does the internal housing really need to be curved at the front, does it need those cuts at the back? Taking them away would save another 25 triangles or so.

That would make for a total of 38+36+25 = 97 freed up triangles. You can do a lot with 97 triangles, thats about 20% of the budget. For instance you could make pyramids of the bumps instead of flat planes, and then have some polies to spare.
    prioritization.png

Also, keep in mind that polycount budgets are ESTIMATES. Unless you're working with an engine like quake (whose *.mdl format which won't support more then 2048 triangles) or something else with fixed limits, polycounts are just a rough number. Of course you shouldn't make a 10k poly grenade, or a 10 poly grenade, but ingame performance is based on more then just polies.

Consider for a moment this: a wall that's 500 polies with a diffuse/normal/spec, versus a 320 poly sphere with parralax mapping and alpha transparency.

Here's 2 good reads:
    http://www.rsart.co.uk/2006/11/20/how-many-polygons-in-a-piece-of-string/
    http://www.rsart.co.uk/2007/08/27/yes-but-how-many-polygons/

Also, here's a rule of thumb I use for my own work: Take the given poly budget, and aim for 10% below that. If you make it, cool, better performance. If you don't make it, you've got the 10% of breathing space. If that still isn't enough, you can go a bit over budget, assuming your other models do manage to stay in 90-100% of the budget.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    johnathan-say thank you!! lol
    snadder - that's a lot of great info. Thanx for taking the time to actually show some really interesting stuff that i wasn't certain about the low poly process. Those 2 links are pretty awesome as well. We arent exactly making these for games, and i cant tell u how many times people have bashed me for the grenade i made. Stuff like " oh ur tri count is too low, and oh your textures are too freaking big" , and blah blah blah. In the end, once i explain to them why i did it the way i did it. Then they give me a break. From what ive gathered, is good to have a low poly budget, and if not meet it then stay under it while still maintaining the low poly's silhouette as close as possible to the high poly. Correct?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am back with another post! started on this 3 days ago and am about 95% done... still have little things to do like finished the straps, the mounted receiver thats attached to the helmet, couple of wires... just little annoying things like that. I am tired and got bored and felt like posting it! Hope yall like! Let me know what ya think! Ill finish it tomorrow for sure...errr.. today... later on today! . :polytwitch:
    H_4WWIIhelmit.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice work, you planning on making multiple layers to his helmet and having huge textures? otherwise the lowpoly wont show all that work.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work mate
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged - Thanks man! I guess when I do the low poly I will create the huge textures at first and then make copies and make a smaller set.. depends on what I am told what to do for the project. It is a portfolio piece.. so yeah, Im sure i will make different layers and large textures. :D
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisradsby - Thank you!
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    One of the things i would suggest, is that you start putting a specular value on your material while you model. Also, there are a lot of edges that could use a bit more love ( bevels! )
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raul - thanks bud! I will take a break from it for a day and come back with a fresh eye to see those parts that need more loving. :D
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Right on!. I think You should model as much as you can for the high poly so you can show it off. Then for the low poly, keep it to a low poly and optimize and cut everything together for a single final asset. one map. All that will still be a portfolio piece. This kicks the shit out of my helmet! lol great piece!
    -Phil
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phillip - Thanks for the advice! I am still new to all this low poly stuff and what a single map is capable of. But when I do start on the low poly, I'm taking your advice on that. :) As for this kicking your helmets ass... I wouldn't say that. Yours is freaking awesome. Your detail in that eagle is amazing. and besides, two different helmets. Like comparing a scifi movie like ALIENS to an action movie like 300, both equally bad ass! :)
  • drummer1075
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice dude did u ever go to drawing school couse u are really good nice granade.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dummer - thanks! no, no drawing school. Mostly self taught.

Here is my finished high poly helmet yall!
    H_4HelmetRender_highgeo.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Pimp renders, i would suggest u make your model one solid color! That green comompetely takes all the attention.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    You do realize that Snader probably won't reply to your threads anymore because he gave you awesome critiques, that took him more than half an hour (probably way more, if it where me anyway ;)) and you didn't respond to it much... you first misunderstood him (he meant you could optimize a lot, not go lower in polycount) and then ignored the comment explaining that.

don't mean to get mixed up in shit like this, but that's pretty rude if you ask me.

The helmet looks very cool.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That helmet looks really damn nice :D

I kinda disagree on having the whole render 1 solid color. It helps.
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    Raul - Thank man!

Japhir - Thanks you for the comment! I just got back from class and the teacher pointed out a few things I need to fix

Titus S- thanks dude! Yeah, I personally like the green also, plus hey... THIS IS POLY COUNT!!! GREEN RULES!! :D

OOPS!! haha.. just realized I logged into my old account and posted this comment.... :p
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle = old account = JonathanF today. :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    WarNoodle wrote: »
    Japhir - I have no comment on jasper, I have what I feel to be a good reason to ignore what he posted. Thanks you for the comment though! I just got back from class and the teacher pointed out a few things I need to fix

I sincerely doubt you could have any reason at all to ignore that advice, let alone a good one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I sincerely doubt you could have any reason at all to ignore that advice, let alone a good one.

Yeah, he really talked about what you should be focusing on with a 500 tri budget,
    This isn't about not having detail, or having too much detail, it's about wrongly prioritizing detail.

in the current state of video game engines, normal maps can give you a lot of surface detail, so the silloute becomes one of the most important parts about low poly models.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think he meant you.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    separate.png
    Looks nicer, and saves a whopping 2 triangles per side. Plus makes it easier to bake.

@Snader: Any particular reason you rotated the top cap slightly and triangulated the sides? I figured it was to round out the silhouette a bit but I made both models here for comparison and didn't really see any difference.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Rotated? the left one has 8 verts on the cap, the right one has 6.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean on the one on the left, the top cap is rotated 22,5 degrees in relation to the bottom one, hence the triangles on the sides.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    My guess is that it tricks the eye into seeing it smoother than it actually is because there are no shared parallel edges between the top and bottom. Similar in principle to using 5 sided cylinders as opposed to 6 sided for arms and legs on lowpoly characters, 5 sided appears less geometric to the eye than 6 and therefore the model looks more organic.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    and the shading looks a bit better :P
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I think he meant you.

I know, that was sort of rhetorical sarcasm, if such a thing exists.

@Snader: Any particular reason you rotated the top cap slightly and triangulated the sides? I figured it was to round out the silhouette a bit but I made both models here for comparison and didn't really see any difference.

I feel it makes the model a bit more regular, because the triangles are all the same shape
    /\ instead of some |\ and some \| To be honest though, it was mostly a gut feeling. I'll post a thread in Tech, with a more detailed analysis.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF wrote: »
    oops, I meant snader, sorry. no idea where that came from. And stop putting words into my mouth people, I didn't say it wasn't good advice. I said thank you to his posts, but for that specific little project on the grenade I told him that I had a 500 tri limit and I decided to go all the way with it to make it look nice. I personally do not see those posts that he put up shine on his own work, so it very difficult for me to really take advice from someone(from what it looks to be) that just reads other peoples forums, takes the knowledge of people that have experience and then to copy and paste that knowledge on other peoples threads. Sure he modeled a grenade really fast.. but still didn't prove to look better than mine, Cause hey, I said from the get go that I had a 500 tri limit. He ignored that statement. So yes, I have a very good reason to ignore his posts. Besides, the grenade was the first thing I have modeled in almost 4 years of being away from 3d. The dang thing took me 3 days to make the high poly cause I had a hard time remembering how to use Maya.

Can you not read at all?! Geez. For a 500 tri budget it does NOT look as nice as it could and he thoroughly proved you hat you could have improved the silhouette and possibly modeled the pin instead of using an alpha'd plane for it and still keep it within the budget. If you plan on improving at all you have to learn how to take criticism. Not every bit is valid 100% of the time, but this is seriously good advice that should not be ignored. You have used the budget very inconsistently and the best you could do would be to acknowledge this and take it with you to your next model if you absolutely don't wanna work on this anymore, but for fuck's sake don't keep the attitude.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    At least we tried to help...