Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jonathan F prop art

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
OK! So thanks to the help of a good friend Raul as many of you may know of on here now! He is helping me get back into 3d modeling. I haven't touched 3D for a little over 3... close to 4 years now. So the first object of creation is a Pineapple Grenade! I just now created this account so I did not create progress pictures for this piece... but will for sure in the future!

Grenade_high_geo_1.jpg

Grenade_high_geo_2.jpg

Replies

• raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work man. The one thing i will say is that your control meshes on the inside of the granade have way too many polies. So tone that down. Use 8 sided cylinders and keep the geo to a minimun.

Keep up the good work!
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    welcome back! :) Looks like you've still got it in you. Looking forward to some LPs and textures.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raul - Thank you man! Im cleaning that up right now!

SouthpawSid - Thanks dude! Good to be back!
    yeah Im actually going to model three high res objects first, then come back to them and do the LP and textures. I believing focusing on learning one thing at a time to really understand it. So modeling high res objects will really get my feet grounded in the modeling aspect of things once again. Then when I get into the low poly and texture part of things that I haven't really done before... I can focus on learning that work flow a lot better all at once.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    sounds like a safe approach to me! I'll make sure to follow this thread and help the best I can! :)
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid - Thanks man! I appreciate all the help! :)

Raul - here ya go bud, cleaned up the insides a lot more. :)

Grenade_high_geo_3.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, So I have been given the go from my teacher that this high res is done and I will spend the next few days finding great props with lots of reference of what I will be doing next! Stay tuned! 8)
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I am back after looking all over the place for something interesting to model. I have lots of reference images to back me up on this as well. I think this will be a good challenge for a second prop coming back into 3d modeling. Let me know what yall think!

10.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alrighty then, here is my first update for the day... went out to play some broom ball in an ice ring tonight... lots of fun, going to be feeling it ALL in the morning! So trying to catch up on some time i missed out one modeling! :D Let me know what yall think so far, any suggestions and what not.. Thanks!

oldphone1.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    broom ball?? lol, ur gonna have to tell me wtf that is later.

Model is looking clean dude! I cant wait to see more!
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice grenade you got there, phone looking good aswell so far, keep it up!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks limesimme!

Here is a new update! let me know what yall think! Thanks

oldphone3.jpg

oldphone2.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe I am finished. Three and a half days work of high poly model. Having someone look at my model tonight in detail to check out all my geometry. Im pretty proud to call this my second prop item too. :)

SkeletonTelephone_1.jpg

SkeletonTelephone_2.jpg
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Jonathan, looking good. Now take a step back and take another look. It's good that you are reusing things like the bolts... but if you look at the reference, not all the bolts have the same exact turn. All yours kinda do. Also, on the reference, the black bolt heads look slightly rounded on the top. It's very small things I'm picking at, yet they scream 3D MODEL! Keep working hard... very nice second prop!
    -Phil
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phillip, thanks man. Ha! just noticed I didn't turn those screws now that you point that out, thanks. I made 3 different types of screws for this... I think your right about those black ones. I need to make a new one for those.... or just round off their edges. I'll see what seems to work best.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    I really like the phone prop, nice work.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Dang man! I had just started my one of my advanced modeling classes in school and I was showing Raul my progress and he goes... "oh THAT phone" I was like what do you mean that phone? And he give me a link to your stuff and I was like WHAT?! Dang...
    I was getting close to updating my sketchbook thread on here too. You even did the grenade too. Well your grenade blows mine out of the water... I didn't go into that much detail. And you phone rocks! Keep up the good work man.

Btw man I am not sure if you remember me but we met at the UGM. I was the guy eating the last of the Mc Donald's Chicken sandwiches. :P
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train - Thank you!

Jeremiah - haha, thanks man. Yeah I think I remember you. I would remember you for sure if I saw you. keep up the good work your self man!

I am taking some time to learn MODO now(normally use Maya). Its a learning curve, but it's actually an amazing piece of software! if ya know how to use it, it will make life easier in a lot of ways! Been watching tons of training videos online.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! So I have found my next piece! I wanted something more challenging this time. Something with some floral design work that I can figure out. So here are a few reference shots i have(i have a tone more) and thought I would share with yall.

antiquegun.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    By the way. Good job on the phone! There r some parts that still need some extra love.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i love antiques. good models!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raul - I'll come back to the phone little later on when you can show me in person what needs to be done... so that will be later on. I did clean up the normals and lots of the edges.. but not sure what other ones you might think needs some loving too. :) I'll work on the gun for now and get done what needs to get done on that. Sound good?

RoosterMAP - Thanks! yeah antiques are a lot of fun, I figure that if you can model antiques that normally have some pretty interesting geometry to model. Then you can pretty much modeling anything else that is thrown at you in the industry.

I'll be starting this model either tomorrow or this weekend. I have some things to work on for someone else right now that will help me raise an extra income on the side.
  • mikelangelo11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan good work at phone.Now I am waiting for your work on gun.I love antiques and I have done some work on antiques but found it quite hard.Have you started anything on gun yet or not?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikelangel011- thanks man, I haven't started yet no... I might start late in the night setting up my reference images to get ready for tomorrow though. Pretty much what my weekend looks like. :D
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    K homie! Just don't shoot yourself! Lol. Ah..I know silly jokes.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! so, I have changed my mind on the gun to this one! Though the other one has a lot of great modeling of some floral design work that I really did look forward to doing this time around... but! as far as a the shape goes as a whole! it really is a little to plain, I don't want to model something just for the sake of a few great parts... I really do need to look at it as a whole. I will find something next time that has both the complex floral design and shape all in one.

This pistol is pretty unique and bad ass... it has its own little built on bayonet on it(that flips out)! two barrels one on top of the other with a nice little gap in between that gives it more character I believe.

preview1.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! Its 6:30 in the morning! been working on this gun handle for about 4-5 hours now. :p I think its time to go to bed! I kept telling my self that I was just going to block the dang thing out... next thing I know I was thinking "oh, this handle will be easy, Ill model this for tonight and be done with it"..... 4-5 hours later been a pretty tricky handle! cause how the top goes in and also the bottom inside as well.

antiquegun1.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Lol the little sword accessory....lol! Good stuff man
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another great long night with a lot of progress! Let me know what yall think!

antiquegun2.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just now noticed this... I need to make the end of the barrels a little more wider as well the end not as thick. As well will be re-rapping the floral design on the handle, as I have also just noticed that I didn't bring it down along the sides of the handle enough nor make it go down the handle far enough. :poly105: that was a pain in the butt to do too... :p oh well! live and learn!

Let me know if yall notice anything else that needs some more attention! Thanks!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the delay yall! had a more interesting weekend than planned, then had to reinstall Maya as it was doing some weird stuff to me. :p ANYWAYS! Raul gave me some great pointers and am learning how to apply them now to my pieces. Thanks Raul!

I still have lots of little things to model now... still have a few more floral design floaters to model along the sides as well going to re do the design thats on the handle of the gun.

antiquepistol3.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    The one thing i would say is that your getting crazy with the details, which is good, but ur missing the get most of the proportions and shapes that make the gun so intersting from the inside. for example.

The wood comming into the metal, doesnt looks quite rigth. it looks like ur geo is messed up. Other parts are like the corner screw. You got the screw, but no hole that is going into. U can achieve that effect with a floater. Then, there are other parts that all u gotta do is take a break, and look at it with a fresh eye. Im sure ur gonna spot them.

Good job man!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with what Raul said, you're going for detail but you don't have all of the essential parts that make this weapon so cool nailed down properly yet. To me, the modeling seems too perfectly square in places and the bevels too tight where they should be a little looser. Parts like that round indent are too perfectly round in your model where on your reference their is some irregularity. The detail seems to small too and I would be worried about if it would bake properly. It looks ok overall but there are some things that still need work.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, yall are right... I tend to get over excited about getting to the details of things and get to it sooner than I should. I'll take a better look of the over all piece before I go any deeper. Thanks guys!
  • phillip.bailey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phillip.bailey polycounter lvl 9
    Nice find on the gun. Definitely has a WOW factor. I especially like the details on the handle. Now, to the rest of the build!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Phillip! yeah, its been fun trying to figure out how to do those kind of details in the handle.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! more updates! did a lot of cleaning up geometry last night, tonight tried to put together the shape of everything as a whole. Almost finished for the most part. Either tomorrow will be finished or the fallowing day. Let me know what yall think and what might need some more attention. Thanks!

antiquepistol4.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have some screws, the safety switch, a couple more floral designs, the trigger to finish up.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    wow awesome job on the gun man! The way the barrels still tilt outward kinda bother me. I can say exactly where they should be pointing because I didn't see a perfect side view. And I think the only other thing that bothers me is the upsidedown "L" shape on the top. It sticks out a bit too far. I am just nit-picking though. What else can you do when a piece of artwork is just amazing.
  • katerina yonce
    Good job on the gun Jonathan. It looks great. One thing though is if you look at the bottom of the gun just before the barrels start where that L shape object is it looks like there's 2 screws under there and you only have one...and like Jeremiah said the barrels do tilt outward a little. Other than that it looks awesome dude...

Here's a pic of the screws i was talking about
    gun.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Cool! my one crit now is that your mesh is too dense and messy. I would start looking at ways of splitting things apart. Think of it this way, 3 points make a curve. extra points in that curve are prolly ur hard edges, but having a full continuous mesh is just too messy and a lot of stuff to keep track off. I wouldnt say u did something wrong. Is one of those things were you do do more with less.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, but I honestly do not see a point in modeling all of those designs and swirls, it would be better to do those in photoshop and overlay it on top of a normal map.
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! Its been a good challenge putting this together.

jeremiah_bigley - thank you! as for the curve goes.... thats a hard one for me to determine, I have other reference that doesn't really show a curve at all. So I don't know if its the picture the way they took of it... but I'll try giving it a little one and see how it looks. Thanks though!

katerina yonce - Thanks! yeah I still have several screws to make and put in their place as well a few more floral designs. I guess that I should have placed that one in at least as it does stick out.

Raul - Thanks bud, I'll look into how to tighten those lines/delete/cleaning them as well.

d2King10 - yeah, thats what I thought about doing, I'll see how it comes out in a normal map.. and if it doesn't seem to do what i thought it would do, I'll just do it in photoshop. Thanks for you input!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty then! So here are a bunch of renders of my first 3 prop models.

PineappleGrenade_3.jpg
    PineappleGrenade_1.jpg
    1890telephone2.jpg
    1890telephone4.jpg
    flintlockpistol_2.jpg
    flintlockpistol_4.jpg
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I'm done with my first three high poly models I'm now going back to the grenade to start on the low poly... This is my first time to model low poly and do normal mapping. I know its a simple object.. but I'm pretty happy so far for it being my first one ever. Tri count is 484

nade_lowgeo_1.jpg
    nade_lowgeo_2.jpg
    nade_lowgeo_3.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Ok...ur officially back in the 3d biz! I missed u so danm much! Lol. Don't u ever pull that crap where u said ur leaving to do 2d! Ever!

My only crit is that u didn't fix the geomtry passing through the objects. Other than that is a nice bake! U know how to use marmoset yet?
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks Raul.. don't worry! no more 2d for me! well.. maybe in the way way WAY future when I would like to learn oil painting... :) sigh.. just think where I would be if these last 3-4 years were spent still doing this? lol, oh well! Live in the present and look forward to the future!

You can show me what your talking about tomorrow exactly...
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and my normal and uv map.
    grenadenormaluvmap.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    fireinthehole.jpg
    I don't understand why you're using 9 sides and 4 segments, at least match those up with the amount of bumps to avoid weirdly smoothed bumps. In fact, using 8 instead of 9 sides would look better and reduce polies.

You don't necessarily have to model in all the bumps, but I'd encourage you do to so. It'll take about 250 or so extra polies, but they're all pretty large parts of information, and all contribute to the silhouette from one angle or another. And if you cut down a bit on stuff inside the grenade, you'll hardly have an increase in the total model.

You also have some priority issues with the texture, with the firing pin having a roughly 3-4 times more dense texture. If something is seen less often, this generally means it gets less detailed textures instead of more detailed textures.

Also, if you're continuing this into a finished model, don't forget to add some noise to the normal map
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader - The high poly is 8 sides, the low poly is 10 sides. 8 sided low poly comes out looking weird. As for the insides goes. it wasn't to much tri count added to it and it gives that extra detail that you never know. Doesn't really matter if no one sees it. Heck it could be an in game experience seeing a grenade being thrown in slow motion and seeing the clip fly off and seeing that detail. I don't know. The goal was to keep it under 500 and I did so. But thanks for the info and taking the time. I actually had a class tonight that I learned a LOT about the uv mapping and how to lay it out, so I'll be redoing all that as well. Thanks for the heads up!