Home Technical Talk

nVidia photoshop plugin VS. xNormal

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
I was wondering which of the two was better for generating normal maps from textures? I used the nVidia plugin for a long time until recently, since it does not work on Photoshop CS4 64 bit. I applied the nvidia filter multiple times on any given texture, and then blurring them properly to get my normal maps the way I wanted them. Is there a way to do this in xNormal?

Is xNormal better in every way over the nvidia plugin? Or do both have their pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyBump is better and quicker. What Scott does here with multiple layers and a bunch of different Nvidia filter settings, can be done much more quickly and with instant graphic feedback in CrazyBump.

More here.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting. Is all this available with the free version of crazybump? I've used it before, just haven't bought a license.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    The trial of CrazyBump is identical to the full version, apart from its time limited.
    If you are an out of work artist, i believe Ryan has something set up where you can get a free copy until you get work. (im not sure on the details 100%)
    Hope that helps!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Hey,
    I was wondering which of the two was better for generating normal maps from textures? I used the nVidia plugin for a long time until recently, since it does not work on Photoshop CS4 64 bit. I applied the nvidia filter multiple times on any given texture, and then blurring them properly to get my normal maps the way I wanted them. Is there a way to do this in xNormal?

Is xNormal better in every way over the nvidia plugin? Or do both have their pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

The xnormal PS texture to normal map to me, is easier to work with than the PS. It also will work with your x64bit.
  • Tristan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyBump is better and quicker. What Scott does here with multiple layers and a bunch of different Nvidia filter settings, can be done much more quickly and with instant graphic feedback in CrazyBump.

More here.
    http://wiki.polycount.net/Normal_Map#P

I would say that Shadermap PRO is just as good as crazy bump, just not as pretty and only coasts $40 Aus for a full commercial edition.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Tristan wrote: »
    I would say that Shadermap PRO is just as good as crazy bump, just not as pretty and only coasts $40 Aus for a full commercial edition.
    While Shadermap pro is a very good application and great for the price, i have to humbly disagree that it is equal to CrazyBump.

IMHO, CrazyBump is just unbeatable when it comes to speed, creating volume and detail from images and just plain control over you normal maps.

Check out this test i just did with the new SMP beta (1.3.1) and the CB beta (1.2 beta 3)...they are both default settings captured from each applications 3d preview windows.

th_SMPvsCB.jpg

<hint>I think the only two things that could make CB better is a savable CB project file and a Photoshop Plugin...then i would truly be a happy bunny</hint>
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely Crazybump, copying and pasting on the fly with multiple layers and a preview with more control and precision cannot be beat. A photoshop plugin for licensed versions would be outstanding :)
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    i second the previous speakers. crazybump is just unbeatable if you want 2d converted to normals.
    then again i stopped using it, when it gone commercial, since i had always much fun with the nvidia workflow. until cs4 64 bit came out.
    but you can still use the xnormal height2normal plugin, which functions the same way.

following the workflow, you will later end up with serious blurred images. for them you need a high intensity to convert to normal.
    in the xnormal plugin you just have to lower the "smooth" value instead of raising an intensity value like in the nvidia tool.
    the workflow then stays the same.
    dont forget to convert your images to 16 bit before, to avoid banding artifacts.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 14
    i have seen excellent results from CB and SMP.
    true the default settings are better in CB.

but i am not sure if CB does batch processing (does it?)
    and you can actually save a project with the settings you need in SMP to reuse them depending on the required result. You can also overlay images in SMP.

so guess they are about equal if they both do batch process.
    SMP also has an option that says "To Clipboard" so copy paste is covered fully.

and then the next criteria would be the price.

as for the nvidia plugin, you can get nice results if you play with the settings a bit but it can't compare imo with CB or SMP.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    you guxs forgot njob again
    its also very cool
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    yiannisk wrote: »
    i have seen excellent results from CB and SMP.
    true the default settings are better in CB.

but i am not sure if CB does batch processing (does it?)
    and you can actually save a project with the settings you need in SMP to reuse them depending on the required result. You can also overlay images in SMP.

so guess they are about equal if they both do batch process.
    SMP also has an option that says "To Clipboard" so copy paste is covered fully.

and then the next criteria would be the price.

as for the nvidia plugin, you can get nice results if you play with the settings a bit but it can't compare imo with CB or SMP.

yea, CB can do batch processing with folders and sub folders :)
    You can save presets in CB so if you want the same settings, you can use those, but you cant save project files unfortunately (but you can use them with batch processing)
    Copy and Paste is fully covered in CrazyBump also.

As for prices there are a range of options:-

• Free for layed off Artists
    • $49 for students
    • $99 for personal/non commercial (though if i remember correctly, Ryan is flexible with the non-commercial aspect, if its for a small indie company)
    • $299 for pro

Either way both programs have their uses and SMP is great if you are on a budget :)