Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

temple environment

Replies

• Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    WOW, that looks a lot better !
    maybe try to increase the intensity of the sun a bit more, or get more bounce light going in your first shot.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice scene! A great addition to your portfolio.

Some fog/mist would be cool. I used some in my scfi corridior in my portfolio. There's a mist cube actor or something you can add that's in UDK. You can scale the mist cube so it spreads across the floor.

Also something that would REALLY make your scene pop big time:

Play with the tones of the scene. Create a post processing volume around the scene. Then select the volume, then scroll to the bottom and play with the colour settings.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Example_Level.html

This guy has a room for download which has pretty good settings. I loaded his level up, copied the colour settings, tweaked them and it made my assasins creed 2 scene look a lot better. I think this is also what the other guy did with his similar temple scene.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the scenes looking awesome now! maybe you could up the normals or add a scratchy rock detail to the rock textures/unreal materials somehow as alot of it looks a bit polished and smooth

any tips on how you got such nice reflective water?
  • Timothy_graybill
    alright added some fog to the lighting, none on the bottom yet, and I made the sun more intense.
    thanks for all the udk advice but I think Im gonna keep it in 3d max for now last environment I did in udk added a few weeks of work and it ended up looking pretty much the same as it was in max.

@ged The water was very simple since it was in max just added some reflectivity and made a normal from a water texture I found. there are tutorials on you tube just look for water 3d max.
    21.gif
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful scene. GJ
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wow this is looking really great mate, kinda makes me wish that the dark areas were a bit more brighter or had an alternative lighting source.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    @ged The water was very simple since it was in max just added some reflectivity and made a normal from a water texture I found. there are tutorials on you tube just look for water 3d max.

oh I thought you had ported it over to udk, didnt realise it was still in max. really nice anyway would be a bit more challenging in udk to get the materials and the shadows to look good I guess
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    humm, this scene is looking good, nice progress. You should keep the UDK version to be honnest, I think its better to show real time assets in real time environment for a portfolio, that way you can really imagine the scene in a real game (thats a lot of real). btw It needs more global illumination/light bounces in my opinion to pop that dark areas, and yeah, definitly a volume post process (in udk). Perhaps decrease a bit the darkness of your cavity maps, that looks a way to dark imo.

keep it on!
  • Timothy_graybill
    alright, I think I am at a point where I am happy with this environment and I can now move on to something else. but critiques are still welcome and letting me know if there is any what I can improve Is always appreciated. I've been applying to a ton of places lately and I'm really hoping something will come out of it now that I got this in my portfolio. Wish me luck.

I lit the scene in the day and at night not sure what one I like more but I think that the Day shot is stronger

Final-Render-day.gifFinal-Render-night.gifFinal-Render-night-low-angle.gifFinal-Render-throne.giffinal-stairs.gif
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love this scene tim!!! good luck with the job search !!
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last screen shot was really awesome. All of it was awesome. Great job!

The mood just kicks your ass for the first few minutes :P I love that night scene.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really cool scene, looks like uncharted in its vibrant colours :)
  • nbac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    very cool results! good attention to detail!
    good luck
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice job with this piece. I like how you lit it both day and night, always great to show alternative lighting schemes.

My very minor nitpick is with the decal on the steps and on teh corner area in the 3rd shot. They sort of seem like they were just slapped on after all the awesome texture work. I'd just try and work it in a bit more so it doesn't look planar mapped on over the top as an after thought.

I only say that because you've got 2 shots where your up close and they become apparent, in the overview shots they aren't so obvious.

Great job though, love what you did with the far wall
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow beautiful work, i love the overall look, it feels so natural.
    Imo daytime is way better, make the fairydust a bit smaller aswell, other than that, awesome work!
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    Looks really nice. I like how you sell the athmo with the lighting
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Well done! Love mayan stuff, spot on on my taste!!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    pretty sweet! Know of any good UDK lighting tutorials? My shadows never look that good
  • Timothy_graybill
    Thanks for all the support guys, its great to know that people are enjoying it.

@ p442 sorry dud not in udk, its in 3d max. and all the lighting is just done with regular scanline rendering. you can get some prety awesome results with a little work.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Scanline? Give mental ray a try. Final Gather along with Global Illumination is the shit. You'll get FAR better results with Mental Ray than the default Scanline Renderer.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    oh, no wonder it looks so good. :)
  • Timothy_graybill
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Scanline? Give mental ray a try. Final Gather along with Global Illumination is the shit. You'll get FAR better results with Mental Ray than the default Scanline Renderer.

your very right but the render time will be doubled if not tripled. I find that just using scanline gives me the closes to in game results posible
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    The render times will not necessarily be that much longer. If you use lighttracer with the scanline, it will take much, much longer than using GI. Just because mental ray is checked, it doesn't mean it will take longer to render. Don't forget, mental ray is a more efficient renderer than scanline.

You're half-right about getting closer to ingame results with scanline. But UDK now has Lightmass. Think Global Illumination in real-time. As long as you don't set each light to general 2 million photons per light, I don't think you'll have many issues regarding long render times.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful work - well done, it's an awesome scene.
    I really like the two different lighting schemes you have although I personally like the daylight scene a lot more.
    I also agree with Carlo_C - the decals are far too visible/apparent and should be much more subtle. Overall, the texturing is fantastic and these really take away from it on the close up shots - but even with it the scene is still really great.
    Well done.
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really great! As some people said it does move my mind to uncharted, and that's a very good thing :)

Only thing I could think of would be to make the fabric tent thingy look like it lets through some more light by having it slightly illuminated and leave the sorrounings redish lit underneath it. But that's personal taste, you may have went with having it a pretty thick fabric that doesn't let a lot of light pass :)

Anyway the overall lighting is great in both settings imo.
  • Timothy_graybill
    thanks for the nice words, It always feel great to know that your art is enjoyed.

@philipk yeah I keep getting the uncharted comparison, which is a good thing but the funny thing about it is that I never even played uncharted. I've seen a little of the art but thats about it. lol
  • Fieldscarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fieldscarecrow polycounter lvl 11
    Great work! I like the day time lighting best, although the night lighting pushes the stylization quite nicely!

I wonder what kind of stuff would go down in this room!

Looking forward to your next piece :)