Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

EricV's work thread

Replies

• rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, but the wooden grip reads too much like plastic to me. Maybe give it some very cautious wear/chipping and fiddle with the hilight strength and color? And I know it's not very feasible to fix, but the lack of AO under the moving parts kinda stings a bit...

EDIT: Ah, after looking at the refs it's also the lack of dust/grime in the cavities between all the millions of diamonds on the grip that solidifies it as plastic. Fix it! I also like the really dark look of the metal before - nice and menacing :)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I see what you mean. I added some AO for the grip to simulate dust/grime to fill the cavities...makes it 'pop' a little more. Also I think what was hiding the AO was my cube map....so that was toned down, plus I adjusted some hue/saturation for the base diffuse color. thoughts?

Luger_3point_04.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better and better :D

Perhaps add some subtle spots and stains on the grip, imagining that the owner could have been a bit clumsy with the gun-oil and so on, leaving faint soaks here and there. Looks a bit too uniform compared to the metal.
  • AlexanderL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexanderL polycounter lvl 11
    Great Luger! I just love that weathered, rugged metal look.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I think you can pretty much call it done, very well done with attention to detail and building up wear and patina realistically. Been a pleasure to see you carry it through, looking forward to seeing what you do next!

As far as the building prefab stuff, have you looked into putting into UDK's procedural building system?
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ProceduralBuildings.html
    Would be really cool to see that working, I've only seen the system with example assets. For a portfolio piece especially I think it would be a major bonus.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could push the handle just a liiiittle bit more before calling it a day - some brighter beige woodtones scratches here and there, and that very blue cubemap still makes it read more like plastic. Try almost removing it for the handle - lookign at the refs worn old wood doesn't really reflect anything, I think it needs to be completely matte. Also, that "Gesichert"-text sticks out too much - iirc in the refs for that it is more orange and a bit inset, making it look less like a glowing sticker.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, making cavities brighter as opposed to darker is a great way of selling some materials. Tends to make things look drier/dustier. Something to experiment with maybe.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    hmm Gauss no I never even thought of sticking it into UDK...I'll have to take a look at the link man.

and Rasmus, yes you are correct with making the cavities brighter...silly me thinking dirt should be black o.O. I'll see about working on the grip and the sticker, thank you for pointing it out :)

and you are also correct Bbob, looking at some other ref of mine, I can see more variation in the grips spec and diffuse. Good eye