Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tascam 22-4 4 Tape Recorder

This is a tape recorder prop for a Game project I'm working on this year. I'm attempting to achieve an old weathered look for the Recorder to suite it's surrounding environment. The player will use the Tape recorder as a source of information by listening to old recordings, which will also help to fill in the back story.

TapeRecorder.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad!

But considering how many polygons you spent on all the tiny details that should have been normal mapped (like the bevels on the feet and the extra detail on the buttons) you should really have made those spool cylinders more than 16 sides... they are super-jaggy right now, when you're spending 2000 triangles on a tiny prop like this, with a cylindrical focal point, that is pretty inexcusable IMHO.

Still the texture looks decent. :)
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    yeah i agree with what Mop said, can i see texture flats?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    It doesnt look like theres TOO much that could have been normal mapped that he didnt model in with the exception of the legs/pegs. Unless its just another prop with little importance, I think its fine that all the buttons are modeled out. But I do agree the large circular parts could use a few more polys to round it out more
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    EricV: Well, my main point wasn't that he didn't need to model all the buttons, but that because he had modelled all this tiny detail, it seems pretty weird that he wouldn't spend a couple hundred more on making the biggest and most obvious parts look better.

Obviously it all depends on how and where in the game this will be seen, and how close the player will get. If it's only ever going to be on a table in front of the player in an FPS or third-person game then I wouldn't bother modelling the buttons out.

If it's meant to be something that fills the screen, then fair enough, but in either case it definitely needs more roundness in those spools! :)
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree wholeheartedly.