Home Technical Talk

Post one thing your favorite 3d app does well.

Replies

• badcop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3ds Max: Set Flow is great for making any thing that's smooth.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the easy double click selection of edges and edge loops in silo I wish other apps had this
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Maya: Middle mouse button behavior. (for affecting any selected tool/value/axis anywhere)
    Could not live without it :P
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    Blender: I like the 3d cursor. It's my Archimedean point and complements so many other tools.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Max: makin' teapots
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Maya: save temp file on crash!

what a glorious improvement. they make you dig for the temp file, but it's always there and 90% of the time it is uncorrupted.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    hard to mention only one.

mudbox:

external texture files that can be directly edited, used and refreshed.
    stencils
    painting on my low res model with the normal map loaded and seeing my final result.
    then exporting it with FBX straight in unreal :)
    (this now will also apply for rigged models)
    ofc vector displacement features

3dsmax
    quad menus
    symmetry tool (nope it's not just instanced mirror)
    Modifier Stack Cut and Paste Feature
    Lighting
    wire parameters
    Viewport real time lighting\shading and true directX display
    proOptimizer
    Graphite tools
    classic nice clean material editor
    (nodal interfaces take too much space or feel like suffocating)
    Viewport Canvas
    Character Studio
    and more but i will be hunted down and murdered in a gruesome manner :)

oh oh autoback and hold\fetch! life savers!!!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    3ds max 2010 graphite modeling tools - select similar

That shit is awesome and probably literally saves me hours.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yiannisk wrote: »
    Graphite tools
    classic nice clean material editor
    (nodal interfaces take too much space or feel like suffocating)

phew thankfully not everyone thinks like you and the editor gets nodejoe implemented :)

ok adding to the thread

3dcoat:
    spline tool in retopo, thats dope
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhino3d + Grasshopper: Visual programming of surfaces and models is just so awesome! Make holes in my building depending on the direction of the sun and the angle of the surface, no problem :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    max custom toolbars/quad menus. luv them
    max's materials editor. always liked it from the start
    maya - painting smooth skin weights. very satisfying when you do it right
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Neox wrote: »
    phew thankfully not everyone thinks like you and the editor gets nodejoe implemented :)

hehe look in the thread you will find at least one. and there are more. :)
    I agree with you though, that it should be in max for those who like that workflow.

it looks and from the video it seems that it works great too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    max - attach object, literally never found anything in maya that does quite the same job, so feckin good when working with instances

maya - decent selection tool, doesnt select the poly next to, or behind the camera, pretyy rock solid all the time
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Right click quad menu, rapid sub object mode switching - 3ds max. Love it, love it, love it!!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The search feature in Blender 2.5 is pretty sweet. As far as I can tell, it opens up a search for every action in the program, and is intended to be used to find objects and materials as well, like an extensive command prompt / address bar for the entire program.

Know what you want to do but don't want to dig it out? Search!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Silo - Everything is context sensitive. Single hotkey for 4 or 5 different actions FTW.
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    Maya: v button snap vertex :D i miss it...
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Silo - Everything is context sensitive. Single hotkey for 4 or 5 different actions FTW.

awwww man thats what i want for max for ages
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    maya- mel

i was never really able to make anything useful with maxscript, but i have written lots of tools i use all the time with mel
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    maya:

strechmesh
    the setup machine
    face machine
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max, F1, biped, yes seriously, particle editor.

Maya, UV editor, ncloth TSM (technically a plug-in)

Silo, everything when it works.

Crazybump, everything.

XnView, batch rename.

MotionBuilder, crazy easy to clean up mocap and do rig to rig linking, full body IK, and physics.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Gator In XSI!

Lets you transfer date between meshes. From materials, uv's, weightmaps etc. It can also mirror properties across, like if you were doing morph targets on a head and did 'right eye brow up' you can transfer the shape across to the other side with a click.

I use it a fair bit for transfering uv's, - you can project uv's from a low poly cage object onto a higher poly more complicated object. Actually they theres some cool info on it from the metal gear making of! http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4735&page=2#5
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAYA

drag and drop images from windows explorer into hypershade to import whole folders of textures at once. This is much better than having to browse to find textures. so many maya features i love but that one saves me soooooooo much time.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    I like the easy double click selection of edges and edge loops in silo I wish other apps had this

maya 2009 and up, can do this for edges and for face loops. along with numerous other double click actions for selecting contiguous geo.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Silo: Retopo tool is super fast and easy.

Roadkill: Roadkill! This plus Maya's or Silo's UV editors, and I have great UV layouts in minutes!
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the old thread bump, I just found this searching to see who else models in Modo around here. Great thread, nice to talk about the positives of programs since I feel like I sometimes spend half my day complaining about problems with whatever I'm using.

A couple things about Modo:

1.) By far the smartest camera I have used in a 3D app (with trackball rotation turned off, for my preference). It does a great job tracking geo so you almost never have to center your view. It seems like a minor thing but speeds up workflow a lot. Basically, if you're zoomed out and looking at your whole mesh you can rotate around the whole thing, but if you then zoom in on a bolt or something your camera rotation automatically adjusts so it is centered on the detail in focus. No clicking a face/object and hitting the frame hotkey to reset the camera. 95% of the time if figures it out for you, which really helps if you're panning around the surface of a complicated object and always want your rotation set on what you're working on (which is pretty much always).

It's worth noting that Maya has a setting that allows the camera to track geo when rotating, but based on my experience it seems to be too literal and rotates around the exactly point on the mesh that you click with your alt+lmb (which is unweildly at times). It's still worth trying out though, and I think could be more useful than the default camera rotation in Maya in some ways.

2.) Someone mentioned Modo selection already, which is awesome, but to expand on that they give you access to mouse clicks in the key binding options which allows for some creative hotkeys.

For example, by default if you shift + double-left-click on an edge in modo it'll select the edge loops for every edge you have selected. Sometimes that's good, but lots of times I want to leave my current selection as-is and only select the edge loop of the edge I'm about to click on. So I got a script somewhere that selects only the edge loop of the edge you run it on and assigned that script to shift + double-right-click, adding the new functionality without overwriting the original funtionality.

Here's the basic functionality. Simple but very useful, especially when making complex selections for UV seams.

modo_loop_selection.jpg

Selection in general is great as well, with LMB being standard raycast selection that you can single-click or click-drag to select multiple faces, RMB creates a box selection that ignores backfaces, and MMB creates a box selection that selects through the mesh. It's great to be able to select anything intuitively without switching the core selection tool's mode.

Sorry again for being late to the party.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    XSI: Different colored UV lines, instead of just on/off color. Makes it so much easier and faster to locate the matching edges.
    XSI: The chamfer tool works better in XSI, you can change the hardness of the edge, plus corners is better created (compared to 3ds max, at least the 2009 version Im using)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed: I really hope they take that from xsi and put it in Max. Chamfering creates some very awkward geometry
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    That Blender is really 3 tools in one app! A modeling app, texture painting program, and a sculpting app!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    gibson543 wrote: »
    That Blender is really 3 tools in one app! A modeling app, texture painting program, and a sculpting app!
    compositing and scripting environment as well ;)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Max: Polygon Modeling with a stack.. awesome!
    Silo: Super fast, easy and direct. Everything just feels right
    Uvlayout: does an hours work in max in about 10 minutes

mightyPea: totally. all those fecking triangles are a killer.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Maya: Smooth Mesh Preview 1 base - 3 smooth (honestly I never use 2).
    There are differences in shading results between preview and true smooth, but after a while you know what and where to expect the differences. So helpful for HP work and much less outliner/hypershader crowding than smooth proxy used to be (not bashing, just noting the tool upgrade.)
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    (Although Maya isn't my favorite app...)
    Maya's UV Editor's ability to view UVs for any combination of selected objects.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i wonder no one already postet this, but the most awesmoe feature max has is that you can instant undo while transforming or changing parameters or whatever when you rightclick while still having the lmb pressed.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DS Max - Crash at least once a day doing simple tasks. :D
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for the old max material editor!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    max: autoback - every app should have this feature imho
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Kwramm wrote: »
    max: autoback - every app should have this feature imho
    they really needed it badly though. I usually disable it because it slows down everything instead I save every few minutes and every 30 min a new version manually.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autobak is nice... but sometimes saves you, then overwrites the one that saved you and you're still fucked. I just save stuff off on my own since I don't trust technology enough yet. But it's getting better.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    You know, I really love being able to copy and paste inside of Modo.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulburn scripts...not a software but who cares, that rocks.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    3DS Max - Modeling

Maya - crashing 10 times a day on simple tasks like extrude or bevel.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    LOL...Maya= Crash

Modo = Awesome
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Autocon wrote: »
    Maya - crashing 10 times a day on simple tasks like extrude or bevel.

Auto, it only does that because it knows its just your side bitch and that you really love that dirty tramp Max :poly129:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    MattLichy wrote: »
    Autobak is nice... but sometimes saves you, then overwrites the one that saved you and you're still fucked. I just save stuff off on my own since I don't trust technology enough yet. But it's getting better.

just increase the number of autoback files. If max reaches the end of that number, it starts over and overwrites old files.

slowdown of autoback can be annoying.

I just wish more people would get into the habit of saving regularly, but many people just get carried away when working and never save. Then they come to us with puppy eyes and beg us to "restore" their work *SIGH!* as if it were that easy...
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    zBrush: Their viewport navigation and how it differentiates between silhouette clicks, and negative space clicks. Works so nice with a tablet. I freakin' hate having to waste my wacom pen buttons in any and all other 3D programs just for viewport navigation. All 3D programs should have at least the option for silhouette/negative-space navigation. Also how it rotates around where you last clicked is awesome.

And this about Max:
    i wonder no one already postet this, but the most awesmoe feature max has is that you can instant undo while transforming or changing parameters or whatever when you rightclick while still having the lmb pressed.

I didn't even think of it until I read it in this post. Yeah, being able to right-click out of an action is priceless. Such a neat little undo function, and it's streamlined right in there.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Maya: Smooth Mesh Preview 1 base - 3 smooth (honestly I never use 2).
    There are differences in shading results between preview and true smooth...

Really? I think it's identical... the smooth preview is by default set to 2 subdivisions though (might be what's different). But you can change that using PgUp / PgDn when in smooth preview.