Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Machiko - AVP

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
so anyway, when AVP was launched it rekindled my love of the (old) franchise, so i reread the comics and books and felt inspired to have a crack at machiko.

now, the body is actually from a little sculpting practice i did but has changed since, and i've started adding armour and placeholder hair. i'll be working on the rest of the armour, and mask later on today.

here's one of the figurines you can find of her, it's pretty much the only visual reference of her out there, but even this is fan art i guess...
2638723045_2c485a36d6.jpg

anyway here's the model so far:
machiko.jpg

crit away, feel free to make suggestions on the armour stylings and stuff. and i hope to god they release some modding tools for AVP so i can get her in-game at some point :P

Replies

• Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    im sorry this doesnt really relate to the model, im just curious as to why she's basically a human?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh, well in the books she impresses an elite predator who eventually dies of some pretty gnarly wounds, she tries to save him, fails, but he tells his clan to take her in.

in other books she hunts predator bad bloods and aliens alike. is pretty hardcore, and her only real rivals are some biggoted preds who look down on her just for being human.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    not using the comic for reference? sure, it's before she starts wearing the predator armour, but the short dreadlocks look better than the long ones they went with on that figure
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oh, well in the books she impresses an elite predator who eventually dies of some pretty gnarly wounds, she tries to save him, fails, but he tells his clan to take her in.

in other books she hunts predator bad bloods and aliens alike. is pretty hardcore, and her only real rivals are some biggoted preds who look down on her just for being human.

a bit outlandish, personally i prefer the down to earth just aliens and just predators. even predalien was a bit much for me ;)

but regarding the model, it looks good but on a second inspection id suggest maybe the chest armour is a little thin?

i'll be interested to see how you do the material of the alien head
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well the way the company makes the alien head is pretty sweet, i'm wondering myself how i'll be able to pull it off. i dunno of any engine that could handle transparency the way it needs for it to work properly (game wise).

4b12495574404a7abbc078afc.jpg

it's pretty sweet, you can see the alien skull underneath like a resin coating. i'm 99% sure this changed in the second film as all the aliens were darker and more chitinous. but then if aliens change depending on the host source and the state of the hive i'm not surprised at the variation...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i reckon it could be done with some refraction stuff and just like, really simple geom underneath with a blurry texture.
    you'd probably also wanna use fresnel for its opacity, and if possible, the strength of the refraction
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    you could get the head material to work, might be expensive mind, but deffinatly possible, most likely you need a dual layer material one to calculate the specular/blurred reflection/normal (with a nice fresnel opacity) blended with a diffuse/normal for the underlying alien brain stuff.

could be possible with a single shader, or.... maybe duplicate sets of geometry and two shaders would achieve an ok result probably easier but if you've got the knowledge i would go for a special shader