Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First high poly model - Chainsaw

robl
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
robl polycounter lvl 7
Hey dudes, student here looking for crits/advice on my first high poly model.

rendercombined.jpg

wire1n.jpg

Being an older style chainsaw, finding multiple angles of a single model was difficult so I ended working from 10 pics or so. These 2 were the main sources, though.

chainsaw3.jpg

chainsaw4.jpg

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good! The handle looks a little uncomfortable though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good!

It seems like your chain on the blade is not really very accurate. First off it doesn't seem to have any actual cutting parts, it looks like just a bike chain or something... secondly it looks like the chain links are a fair bit bigger in the photos than you've modelled them.

Actually, even if they aren't, it'd probably look cooler if you made the chain links a fair bit chunkier! :)
  • Willburforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very very good for your first high poly model! Handle looks off as Doespeh
    pointed.

Pat yourself on the back and go to the student union to celebrate i'd say.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Outstanding work Rob. Just think, you've only had 7 weeks of 3ds Max so far :D

Where's the rip-cord / starter thing?
  • robl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robl polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I rounded off the handle a bit (still looking off) and tried to get those teeth to pop a little more. Don, I reminded myself about that damn thing early on and still forgot to add it on my first pass.

Any further suggestions are welcome, and thanks again.

combined3.jpg
  • robl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robl polycounter lvl 7
    Been making some slow progress on this project over spring break. Just a lot of trial and error with getting my lows to match up with my highs cleanly, etc. Here are a few shots of both my exploded high and low poly layers. Any advice about the process (as I understand there are many) or crits are welcome!

explodehigh.jpg

explodelow.jpg