Home Technical Talk

Alpha Map Creation Question

Hi all ... new here and i got the email about needing to make a first post so here it is ...

I have used alpha maps for about five years for simple things here and there for my high poly modeling ... np.

Well, I have started the transition into low poly modeling and uncovered how much I DID NOT know, heh.

My biggest bane so far is alpha / opacity map issues.

Here is a list of my current issues with opacity maps with a final question about normals mapping at the end:
1. I am getting the actual pixel shape of the alpha map to show up in the viewport / render - even when I try to blur or gradiate the map
2. I am not getting any value change in my viewport / renders when I use varying values between pure white and pure black - I either get totally transparent or totally visible

At first I thought this was due to having too small of a map area, but it is even occurring with larger maps. I have tried using various methods of generating opacity maps as well as hand painting. Where possible I have been "hiding" my opacity edges with other geometry, but this is not always a possibility for items such as fences, columns in a rail, etc.

As to the normals mapping - is there a way to control the "direction" of the lighting? I have a model where I am projecting 3 cathedral type windows beside one another and two of them windows are projected onto one element of the model with the third being projected to another part. They are going opposite directions.

I am working in 3ds Max using Mat IDs for the casting of normals. I will experiment with XNormal as well if there is a way for it to handle Mat IDs as well. Just have not gotten there yet.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys for all the great reading on this forum!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there.

Your alpha map behavior sounds a little strange. Could you maybe post a picture of how you have the shader/material set up?

Your normal maps don't have a light "direction." The normal map just displays normals (angle that light would bounce if it hit this area of the surface). To change the direction of lighting, you would have to change your light setup.
  • hosch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol - thanks for the feedback - as to the alpha behavior - "odd thing" after about 5 hours of research and trouble shooting they just started working - I mean literally the only thing I did different was get up from my desk - take a shower and return and re-render, lol /shrug.

Once I deliver this project later today I will post an image of the window normals - what I mean is that some windows get a straight on view and some get an odd angle view with part of the window side geometry showing up about half way into the area that should be alpha space. Will post images as soon as possible.