Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    lol at this thread where is that obj btw
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    ... but a bitch aint one.

Triangulate or not, the dude has pretty good taste in music. :)
  • Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
    dv8ix wrote: »
    im not razzled. You proved your point, and it just dosnt work for me. Simply put, I dont believe in Triangles. I dont care what the book tells ya. Im stickin to my own bent ingenuity.

Epic. That should be sig'd!

Lol, no but seriously, I'm in school for Game Development and the modeling/animation teacher was pretty adamant about trying as hard as possible not to allow any n-gons, as it causes weird anomalies in certain situations. I didn't think to much of it either since I'm a beginner, but after hearing it on these forums, and ready MANY articles about it, I found it to be true as well. Read up on it and you'll see what they're talking about. If nothing else though, just remember most of these people trying to help you are experts, take a look at some of their work and you'll see it in your best interest to just take what they say as pretty solid advice.

Either way bro, thats a nice model considering it has such a low Triangle count (lol see what Idid there?). Keep on going bud.
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    Dv,

We are here to help you. This is a board dedicated to helping artists become better artists. From the get go, you posted your work and a suggestion was made to you.
    Mr_Drayton wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    Trust me, you can have as much N-gons as you want, but the performance is always the same, because the 3D software (or the game engine) counts triangles and quads, but not polygons. ;)

A 2048*2048 texture will significantly lower the performance... Mine was a suggest, but I repeat, I think that you may better switch to 512*512 or even 256*256, unless you don't want extreme close-ups of the model!

Here is where you didn't take constructive criticism.
    No man, that's where you are wrong, because. I have a shitty computer with no video memory. And when I start getting over 300 polycount, the computer lags bad. The less polycount the better. And thats what I aim for, creating more triangles will create more lag. Im sorry Im stickin to what I know best and I beleive its working out very good for me.

We are not here to fight with you, but to rather give you insight into what we have found to be better workflows, better methods, and more efficient ways of modeling/texturing. There are people from the gaming industry on Polycount, and there are many aspiring to get into it. As a humble suggestion, please, put down your guard, and allow us to help you become a better artist. This board will teach you a lot, a whole lot more than you could ever imagine.(I could have saved 60 grand if I heard about Polycount sooner.) :)

I understand that you might be upset at the fact that the whole board seems to be coming down on you and teasing you. I have looked through this whole thread, and you have some really good mentor like artists trying to help you. People like Pior and Hawken are trying to give you knowledge and let you understand how this actually works. I humbly suggest that you work with us on this, we can make you better.

If this is a joke, please stop, but if you are serious in your quest to be a better artist, then lets squash this, and move forward. :)

Cheers,

Spug
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    im praying for the polycount gods to save this man's mind and expel the DEMONS telling him that triangulation is EVIL! and also close this thread.
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    just saw this thread for the first time...... .
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I'm just curious, what caliber of professional would would actually listen to?

I mean if someone from blizzard waltzed in would you actually listen to them?

But i think i get what you mean by having n-gons makes your machine lag less.... and it has nothing to do with game performance, you are simply referring to the power to render the wire-frame view, which yes it does take more power to render more lines. Turn off wire-frame view and suddenly having n-gons wont make it faster.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    20 bucks says this guy is fucking with us.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    polygon literal definition = many sided shape.
    triangle definition = three sided shape.

all game engines render in triangles, because they are the smallest physical shape. and the smallest physical shape is ALWAYS the FASTEST to render.

that is all.

oh wait, the 2048* texture might have something to do with your shitty render speeds too. take it down to a 256* or something for that piece of "art".
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    "HEY Listen. For one minute to what I have to say. This Game will Look Exceptional when it is Completed. We Will Get the Pixel Ratio cleared up, We will get Normal Maps involved."

lol... this is brilliant!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread makes me sad..

Muzz wrote: »
    I'm just curious, what caliber of professional would would actually listen to?

I mean if someone from blizzard waltzed in would you actually listen to them?

I guess he wouldn't, I'm pretty sure pior works at blizzard..
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    The OP now has his third infraction for trying to pollute the lowpoly thread again after I moved all the noise here. His next infraction will be a ban. He has some days to cool off and think about whether he really wants to be part of this community or not.

I'll keep this thread here though, because some of the advice is golden.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I'm stumped. Is this for real?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TriangulationBadness.jpg

As stated by others, most engines out there only render triangle meshes. Software or hardware side optimization aside, there are other pitfalls caused by geometry, here's a few examples. The original polygon models on bottom, bad render mockups on the top. The left and right ones demonstrate bad fills in different ways. The middle set is a little hard to see well, but shows the classic 'did the artist mean a valley or peak?' scenario. In some cases, an engine could utterly fail and start interconnecting faces inside a cube.

I bring this up because I've had similar discussions in the past, and those artists had all kinds of similarly bad geo.

I'm curious now; does anyone know if 3d cards can actually render anything higher than a triangle when it comes to polymeshes? I'm not talking about behind the scenes geometry, like a plain-ol flat pentagon (in 3d).
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wiggum: "Now Ralphie, you stay here while daddy tries to talk sense with this raving derelict... All right, calm down now. Who's trying to steal your thoughts?"
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt start any of this, I was simply posting my truck model. To Each there OWN MY FRIENDS!! But you will never see me Triangulate a model, no matter how drunk you get me!!! thats just stupid to me.

But can I touch you, then?
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    possibility 1 this is a troll in that case

good one this is the fucking funniest thread i have read in long time ! :D

possibility 2 this guy really doesn't get it in which case let me really blow you mind:

its neither polygons nor TRIANGLES you should be concerned about !
    really what takes your transform time is the verts !
    smoothing groups split verts
    uv cuts split verts
    different materials you assign splits verts.

but even that is probably irrelevant because i doubt your gpu is transform bound at all
    if you really care about performance these are the things you should look into:

STRIPS OVERDRAW AND MOST OF ALL DRAWCALLS !!!!!!!!!!! you have probably heard of neither !

PS the triangulation that the others suggested is purely a safety precaution to retain the shape of your model could be that if you imported your truck into a normal game engine that its tires will sort of "collapse". if this hasnt happend to you yet it must have been pure luck.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    Okay, not sure if I should be posting in here, and not sure if this guy is serious... But if he is, he might have something about the triangles causing a performace drop. Not in the engine of course, but in the 3d modelling app. The more lines your card has to render, the more memory the program takes up. For example, in 3ds Max, if you take a very high poly object turbosmoothed, there can be a clear performance difference with isoline display turned on or off as the thousands of lines don't need to be rendered. I'm assuming that's what's happening here, and he's just mistaking it for the triangles causing problems. Maybe?
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    "I dont believe in Triangles"

Brilliant!
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more Polycount you have, the more performance problems you will have. I find my process much better than triangulating models. There is a difference in the model to me, but you know what it dosnt matter. Go fuck yourselves
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The more Polycount you have, the more performance problems you will have. I find my process much better than triangulating models. There is a difference in the model to me, but you know what it dosnt matter. Go fuck yourselves

It does not matter what you believe! There is this thing called reality, so it does not matter how much you believe in unicorns, fairies and other riff-raff, its still wrong.

If your mathematical "experience" tells you that 2+2=8.43 it still is not.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    lol this thread will be closed soon. and all msgs are gone so i can't read the hillariousness. Canadian belias v2. good luck to you.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2+2 = 22 what are you guys on?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say big things on the internet!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay feck it, you are obviously a troll..

Quit being pants-on-head retarded, and stop wasting our bloody time..
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm obviously a moron.
  • ES_139
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
This discussion has been closed.