Home Technical Talk

Benefits of modeling in Tris

I want this to be a collaborative thread and I want to hear what you have found and I hope we will all learn more about this topic.

For the past few months I have been researching about modeling in tri's compared to modeling in quads. The questions I asked myself were: Why model in tri's? Is there benefits? I have come to some interesting answers.

First off, the question why the hell does it matter? all models need to be triangulated before being brought into a game engine, for animation the model is triangulated at render time.

Fun fact: tri's are left alone when triangulation happens. a quad is always triangulated into 2 tris.

knowing these facts we can see that tris can be very useful.

I would like to show a example that you have probably seen before

spheres.jpg

Both these spheres have the same radius and both share the same silhouette and the most important of all is that the sphere built in tris is 192 polys cheaper.

AND FINISHED.................................................But what about Animatable topology?

For us modelers lower poly counts isnt everything we strive for. WE need models to deform correctly and without problems.

I want to acknowledge Vadim (http://slipgatecentral.livejournal.com/) for his excellent job on during Dominance war. I would also like to use an image of his here because it shows a game character with animatable flow built in tris.

[IMG]http://tuckercool.com/images/loops1 (1).jpg[/IMG]

The method Vadim uses in his modeling videos of this character I believe to be very inspiring and the way I will be modeling in from now on.

here are links to his videos:
Part 1: http://vimeo.com/5738519
Part 2: http://vimeo.com/5734031

I have to go now but I will be continuing to post later on.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    thats a triangulated version of his low poly.....keeping things in quads while you work is a lot easier to use loop and ring selections. modeling everything triangulated would probably be a bad idea.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He did triangulate some of the mesh but he also built in tris.

if you watched Vadim videos you can see he models his low poly by extruding an edge and then collapsing it into a tri and positioning it. triangulating a mesh will not give you the same results as building in tris.

I modeled these chairs, the left chair is a maya triangulated model the middle chair is the chair built in all quads and the right chair was built by building in the tris over the quad mesh. all have the same silhouette

chairs.jpg

With out trying to hit a lower poly count I was able to shave off 400+ polys out of the mesh using this method.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an interesting discussion involving this with an old school guy at a former studio. He said the trick was to learn to visualize edge flow in three directions instead of just two.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I don't see the point of the couch example. You sacrifice proper smoothing by building chunky topology where the mesh would benefit from more, and apply a huge number of unnecessary polygons to the flat surfaces that do not need them?

"Triangulation" is part of optimization, but you use them wisely and as needed. It's not like modeling everything with triangles is magically saving anything, there's just such a thing as modeling effectively.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry if I sound like a douche but to me it looks like you just discovered that, then decided to call it a theory and post a thread about it.

Theres more to gameart than "OMG too many polygonz!!!"
    You need to consider easy rigging, UV splits, all that.

Also the couch example is irrelevant since you removed details aswell... Plus imagine you have some kind of very clean cut you need to make happen where the fabric is stitched. With your tri version you're fucked.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    your argument is moot, because you're effectively arguing two entirely different points.

you're trying to compare selecting all verts, right clicking, and hitting connect. with actually optimising the mesh. something entirely different, and is not only faster, but easier to do when the base mesh you're using is the one you had for your high poly too. which means it'll start in quads, and of course will end up almost entirely in triangles.

what you're suggesting, is that you build a sculpt/smoothing ready mesh, in quads.
    then doing your high poly alterations/sculpting.
    then building an entirely new mesh from scratch, in triangles.

whereas the more usual workflow (i guess, or it is for me anyway);
    build quad only base mesh
    sculpt
    optimise basemesh and adjust for baking. <--- half the work is already done compared to your final step.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good point. Somethings that I am curious about are 5 and 6 sided npoles, more directly I think that 5 sided npoles work like diamond cuts (tri-cuts) that reduce/add geometry where you need it when modeling in tris. I also am wondering how important it is to stay away from 7 + sided npoles in these meshes aswell
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Practice your UV skills and youll get it all !
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The couch example is just to show the difference between triangulating and building the tris your self. Yes you can optimize that mesh even more but just for showing the difference.

pior: No worries, I am discussing modeling in tris not really uv splits, shading split or material split. Optimizing the materials in a game engine will boost the games FPS way more then optimizing a few million polys. The detail for the couch would be added from the zbrushing and as long as both examples have the same UVs the detail will remain.

almighty_gir: Im trying to say that this method is for everyone I believe that with this method you have more freedom to break away from you low polys silhouette
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    but your low poly silouhette is bound by your high polys... so again, it's irrelivent.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but if you would have modeled only in tris you wont have much fun trying to
    add detail in zbrush ^^
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Yeah but if you would have modeled only in tris you wont have much fun trying to
    add detail in zbrush ^^
    Word.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'm not explaining my self here the point isn't to model your high poly in tris but your low poly. The high poly would be whatever you need to get the look you want and then bake it to the tri model.

I am doing this research for an independent study class. What I am really after here is to find if it's definately more beneficial to model a char in tris then allow a program to triangulate the mesh for us.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    neither. modeling the low poly from scratch takes too long. but just hitting the triangulate button is sloppy.

you should optimise the low poly appropriately.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Unfortunately, my couch is only optimized to 500 triangles. :<

loveseat.jpg
    resources/uncomfortable_loveseat.obj

OP: it's all relative to what's going to be seen in the game. If the cushions aren't removable via physics play then they should probably be welded to the frame, saving triangles. If they are removable, they might benefit from more geometry so as to use bendy-bones (benefiting the construction of pillow forts). If the bottom of the couch is never seen, it shouldn't exist in the low, same for the bottoms of the legs (or even the back legs - all depends on how and where the prop needs to be usable).
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almighty_gir: would you say that the the time re working your low poly quad model might just be the same amount of time youd spend just building a tri mesh around your finished high poly?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Fun fact: tri's are left alone when triangulation happens. a quad is always triangulated into 2 tris.

this made me laugh
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    knowing these facts we can see that tris can be very useful.
    THIS on cracked me up. :)
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna: I know that modeling in tris has been around for awhile but I want to know why quads are better? I want know why a quad revolution happen? whats wrong with tris? for the past 3-4 years i have study modeling and the whole time have had quads rammed down my throat. When I saw Vadim's approach to modeling his low poly over his high poly I was wondering why quads are so important. I worked this into and independent study at my school. Now I am just trying to get more information on tri modeling from the seniors in the gaming community.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so yeah I'll state it again, if you want to understand the whys, make that couch into a final ingame assets, normalmapped or not, and see how it goes.

As far as Vadims piece goes, it looks fantastic as an end result but some parts are painful, especially on the heavily triangle regions. Dont take examples as a rule and just try things out man.
    No worries, I am discussing modeling in tris not really uv splits, shading split or material split

Huh? So hmm what's the point then.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna: Thank you for your time in responding to my questions. If you could still bear with me a bit longer, I am wondering with a knowledge of animatable topology couldn't you place important loops where needed (for example: Knees) to refer back to Vadim's model in my original post where I drew in loops that would be important for human deformation. I believe he has these loops.

You mention perdictabillity, if you have the loops for deformation does it really matter whats imbetween them? Isnt that just what Stahlberg does.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Perna: In case your suspicious, tuckerhcool is not me in disguise.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My thread didnt look this bad did it ? ......... if so... holy crap.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Listen to Perna because he is quite right. The quad modelling tools these days give a much greater efficiency to the artist and work in a clear and easy to follow way. Its easier for all facets of the art pipeline to assess a wire frame when it is in quads.
    This plus the increasing number of tools for quad modelling out today, greatly increase the speed of an artists work flow. In this industry, hitting deadlines is the key to you getting that check from your investor.

That's why they have left tri modelling behind.

I remember a coder trying to explain it to me once before. Tri stripping happens at run time, so speed is really important, if you have a model made 100% out of clean quads and loops it will strip the fastest. the more you break up the rings with tris it gets a tiny bit slower. Though I cannot remember if he said fully triangulated models were okay. But I think the animation team would have flayed me alive if I supplied them with a fully triangulated model.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2.jpg

1.jpg

this is what I am concerned about perna. same silhouette but -20 polys
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's gonna hurt

/runs for cover
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anux: Thanks, as i am a student I still dont know how studios run. I would absolutely work to the guidelines of the client or studio
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I am saying is that those 20 tris equal the same silhouette as the 40 tri example but if you switch the 20tri example to be all quads it would loose the silhouette match....i will concede for now due to the fact I cant seem to get my points across.... Im sorry to have wasted your time.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I still use the highpoly, kill polygons, then connect the dots method from Lightwave, its the biggest secret in the game art community.

but thats only when i can't build stuff straight out of triangles.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have reached the end of the modeling classes offered by my school and that is why I am working on finding things about modeling that are not explained or I havent learned yet. Modeling in tris is one of them and venturing forth to find out all about it that I can has lead me here.

I believe that I have gained alot of knowledge about modeling by working in tris. I dont feel that the efforts I put forth here were in vain.

I will most likely continue modeling in quads, but i still would like to know more about the technical side of tris and rendering.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fran10960-bw.jpeg

It's like a big triangle made of quads

(anyways, joke aside .... just show us your work man. "Theory" wont get you far, just practice practice practice)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    ok real simple, sarcasm aside this time. Triangles are cool, but modeling everything out of them is dumb and slow, build stuff out of quads and for lowpolys if you really need to optimize certain areas go to tris. Optimization is like a whole skill set. Go check out doom 3 models and you will be blown away by the stuff they've been able to get away with and the tricks they've used to convey certain shapes with very little polygons.
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all i have is a WIP website right now. My work on there is a few terms old as well.

tuckercool.com
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha dude, sorry to detract on the serious thread, but your little sack mutant with the burnt mouth is classic! ZOMBEAN ?!!!! (I'm not being sarcastic, I like him !!)
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks its a char designed by an old teacher at my school named jason baldwin. I modeled it and elaborated on the concept for the texture.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    haha, no there have been countless threads like yours, and it's understandable why, it's stuff that takes getting some used to. This topic, though? Haven't seen anything like it the last 9 years.

...Why would anyone buy a domain and create a website for a joke account though? I tried looking at his resume to shed some light on this but the link doesn't work
    Blame Vadim maybe? He went and did this epic character and talks about how he does his lowpoly in triangles in his video. I can see how someone wanting to pick up his tricks would be picked up by that trick.

Or maybe tucker's just doing some viral ads for these guys:

diamond_shreddies.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2.jpg

1.jpg

Is it really?

You can do that same trick and keep it all quads (see C2 & D2), by removing every other edge from your 40 tri cylinder and rotating the top ring of edges 20 degrees then flipping the hidden edges (if you're in Maya you're forced to triangulate it).
    OR
    Take the top ring of edges in your triangulated example rotate it 20 degrees and remove the diagonal edges (see D2).

The problem is, this process is longer and more involved than just removing every other edge (see D). As others have pointed out it also makes it harder to work with on almost every level. Unwrapping, vert weighting, deformation ect.

Ahh but the silhouette is more round! Not really, not even in your example. It looks to be leaning in your example...

20triCylinderInQuads.jpg
    In your 20 tri example the top ring is twisted and misaligned from the bottom this isn't actually going to round it out any better (see B4 & C4) its just a bit of a trick that works in the screenshot when viewing it from a particular angle.The method doesn't hold up that much better than a quad strip when viewed at other angles. It really starts to break down the longer the cylinder is.

Lets say you need to up-res your triangulated example, back to 40 or maybe 80, or take it down to 10? That's a lot more work on a triangulated mesh than it is on a quad mesh.

Another things to keep in mind
    - Rigging and animation will probably kick your model back (I know I would) if they get a triangulated ugly mess where quads could have been used (see C & D).
    - Other artists might kick the model back to you instead of fixing or tweaking issues because its not worth the time and effort to try and work with it.
    - If you freelance and turn in a triangulated nightmare they won't bother explaining why they assume you're a time traveler from 1995 and aren't going to use you again.

If you're not convinced why people abandoned triangle modeling stick with it and do a few projects from beginning to end. Take it from just theory to concrete finished projects. Fully evaluate both and use which is better. A lot of people have and I'll give you 2 guesses as to which they pick.

I can only speak for myself, I started out modeling in tris and still use them from time to time in specific locations but I'm a quad convert.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    perna is correct.

Let me just try to put it as simply as possible:

1. Use quads to build your initial lowpoly mesh - this means you can use all the awesome tools relating to edge loops, edge rings, everything that saves you time and does not work on triangulated meshes.

2. Triangulate and optimise where necessary as a "finishing step".

Working purely in triangles is slow and unnecessary, all optimisation should be done at the end of modelling the lowpoly, and your couch images are a terrible example and tell me nothing more than you don't know how to effectively model in quads.
    1.jpg

If you think those two have the "same silhouette" then you're smoking some seriously heavy substances... like, really, do your eyes work in a different way to everyone else's?
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2.jpg

1.jpg

I don't understand this example at all. One example has half the amount of quads as the other, but is triangulated, and they don't really have the same silhouette.

If you didn't triangulate the one on the right, it would have half the amount of quads as the example on the left, and the same silhouette as before it was triangulated.

I'm a complete nub as far as modelling goes, I also don't know why quads are better to model in than triangles (well actually I do have some idea after reading this thread, and even some idea from constructing primitives with code) - but your arguments make no sense, especially this example.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm also confused, I watched those vids of Vadim's and it seems clear he uses quads just like everyone else. You just posted a picture of his triangulated mesh?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    rooster: actually it's a bit weird, i watched the 2nd part again and it does actually look like he's doing the lowpoly mesh purely in triangles. he doesn't show the entire process though, but it'd be mad if he wasn't use quads at some point.

Anyway, slipgatecentral is on this forum, he should read this thread and reply to clear this matter up! :)
  • tuckerhcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seemed to me that in building a tri mesh over your high poly mesh you can more easily space out the tris and in doing so drop your poly count. I was looking at peoples work and wondering how they had such detail low poly meshs yet hit there poly mark. I thought that maybe modeling with your tris evenly spaced was the "trick" apairently I was way wrong.

Can people show me tricks they use to optimize their low poly mesh but still hold the silhouette?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    The trick is to cut polygons that arent needed (running too close together, don't contribute anything to the silhouette) and redistribute SOME of those to the silhouette, to make it smoother.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Mind that if you're working with very low poly models, it's more useful to triangulate; the chance of its mis-triangulating if you let the software do it for you is much bigger than when you've got a million of them. It's also useful to make affine texture mapping look as good as possible (though I don't know how common this is).

In Slipgate's case, I have absolutely no idea why he'd choose to work with triangles. Sure, he's fairly generous with triangles and terminating loops anyway, but there are definitely some areas where it wouldn't have made a difference.

Is there any effect of triangles on animation, aside from it being a bit more difficult to paint the weights? I've been hearing that a lot, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well DWar is a special case anyways. He might have done it in order to fit inside that arbitrary polygon limit given by the comp, who knows. In real life it would be of no use, but for an online comp its safe to stay on 'target' even if it is technically pointless.

It's true that if you take 4 triangles connected to each other by their edge, you can get 4 angle changes in space along that thin strip. Whereas, when modeling in quads, its always better to 'planarize' quads so that the two tris making them up stay on the same plane (it looks better in my opinion, but it's also a very important thing to do in maya since the apps gives no control whatsoever on the hidden edge splitting the quads in two - stupid maya!!!).

Still, making a theory off it and calling it a better practice is, hmmm, wrong because the disadvantages are just too much, and OMG ITS LESS POLGONZ is an irrelevant question anyways esp when the difference is so little.

Make more assets and you'll see very quickly what we mean. Seriously, it should be so obvious after just a few days man. Even on the most simple shapes :
    http://vimeo.com/7831268

Anyways, less talk more art man.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior: speaking of, do you have any good tips for planarizing quads in maya?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking forward to reaping the benefits of using tris, best thread in the universe.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I found that one internet one day : LINK
    But i do not remember where...

And if someone want to do that in one click in Maya he can use this command :

global proc SAMA_RegularTwistedCylinder ()
    {
    string $sl[] = `ls -sl -l`;

polyPoke -ws 1 -tx 0 -ty 0 -tz 0 -ch 1 $sl;

delete $sl;
    }
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I'm not a modeler, but as a rigger/animator I appreciate the character models created with quads. Real quads, even triangulated quads is hard to work with. See this example:

trigrowexample.gif
    Each sphere is about 340 tris.

When I skin I frequently use the grow selection button to blend and smooth weighting. The bottom left sphere is "quaded" and it behaves predictably when I press the grow button. However, the geosphere and the triangulated sphere...well they're harder to work with.

Now, imagine instead of a few spheres it's a 10 thousand poly head model.

If the entire character model is less than say 1500 total triangles, it doesn't bother me, I can skin that in my sleep.
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    If you actually think about it, for most game engines they are still triangles :)

Of course now polygons are hardware accelerated but so are patches and even NURBS in some cases (PSP and even PS3 i think but i have to check with our guys)

What MoP said is correct.

Perna,
    "A quad-base mesh has the predictability and stability of a grid. It has direction. You can tell a piece of code to identify elements relative to the U or V directions of a quad selection. That, in short, is the technical part."

The same stands for triangles i am afraid. Of a Geodesic grid for that matter. People who have worked with triangles in the past (not many are there but still some ole geezers like me are around) can easily identify the same grid on it and that is how we used to work. in fact many of us used to hide the lines in between and initially what polygons was for us was a way to save time from hiding the in between lines for clarity :) This is how we used to UV too! We did it just fine! :)

If you actually use proOptimiser properly in 3dsmax on a very complex model you will see how the triangle theory stands.

Is it easier and faster to work than Polygons? Most probably and as far as my experience goes NO.

After i saw and worked on nendo and mirai, i immediately fell in love with polygons. BUT

The thing is, triangles, apart from that unfortunate example with the ring, can be properly tweaked and tuned on a complex organic model to match what you are trying to do with less geometry and that is a fact. The geodesic model in some cases is more adaptable structurally sound and efficient.

I was showing to one of our new artists some time ago how his model after using proOptimizer reduced to 70% of his original tricount without loosing significant detail AND without loosing any functionality in terms of animation. You are even able to take models down to 60 - 50% in some cases without major loss depending on the forms. You might argue that the modeler did a bad job. Well yes and no :) In any case you would still be able to remove at least 10%.

All this if you tune your process properly ofc.

Many times when i manually optimize a model I find myself turning the edges to achieve the same outline with less triangles as with max (and maybe other tools as well) you have that flexibility. (don't take it again as if i am saying max is the best please...)

Still, nothing beats the clean solid polygon modeling workflow. Perhaps because that is what everyone is working on improving the last years and is bustling with tools. But definitely I can't see myself working with editable mesh, but perhaps if it offered all the modeling features that editable poly offers I wouldn't be thinking the same. After all that is how we who were not using NURBS (like softimage and maya users) used to model in the first place.

I think polygons brought the clarity of nurbs and the absolute control of triangles together. And it is a VERY good thing :)