Home General Discussion

Game Programming...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Hello Fellow Polycounters, and spammers who cant get passed the Admins and mods. God bless you all :D;

anyways

I was surfing through the Ontario colleges to find a decent course for game programming and came accross a course that is offered at Humber college. Its called "game programming." <.<

http://www.humber.ca/program/11661

You can trust this link, it is not a spam. I know it is hard for people to trust links these days but anyways.

I have an eye on this one course for some time now and I am doing bachelors of Software Engineering from Centennial College. I plan on taking this after I graduate, but there is one problem.

They offer few courses on the side to bring up to that level of game programming that is one extra semester.

My question is, I remember once someone told me that they are taking game design course in an Ontario College (not the art institute) and that they didnt find the course as expected. the professors had very minimum experience of game development but it is helping them making peer to peer links in terms to start something (possibly a game studio) later.

Should I take this after the graduation? Or just follow up on my self-pace studies along with my bachelors.

any opinion on this matter is really appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I go to Fanshawe College in London (well, I don't go any more, but will be going back to finish my Programming courses) and they just launched a "Game Development- Advanced programming" course.
    It is a 1 year program that has a Computer science/engineering degree, or Programming diploma requirement.

It is basically a course that takes you into graphics, animation AI, physics etc (programming wise).
    I will be taking this course when I am done as I think it will be a good way to gain some experience dealing with various game programming topics and maybe help pick a topic to focus your career on.

I also think it depends on what you except from the course. I think why a lot of people say these kind of programs are what they expected is because they go in with unrealistic expectations. A lot of people think they can come out and make the next Quake, doom or what ever AAA title.

Go in and expect a small taste of what it will be like to work on a game (or work for a game development company) or gain a little experience with some technologies you may have had a chance with otherwise and I don't think you would be disappointed... Just don't be unrealistic.

This is just my opinion and how I am going about it for the program at my school.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.fanshawec.ca/EN/gdp1/default.asp

Ya this one is really tempting course. It is short and will teach you lot more and major aspect of MMORPG (network programming) and game engine, AI, and physics (the programs that will teach you how to modify the game engine) will also teach you how to create them, definately worth a shot....I wonder what their admission requirements are. =\

Also, since it is in London, On. I highly doubt that I'll get a chance to take off from my work and go there. :(

EDIT: There is one alternative..but that is for 2 years.

http://www.aodt.ca/video_game_design.asp

Practically it will teach pretty much what Humber college, and VFS..but the problem is. Re-locating while working part time (permanently) in Mississauga. :\ Also that "I got in easily but I didnt get what I was expecting" part fears me....

EDIT2: But than again, we are talking about four years from now. I am pretty sure I will be confident enough to ride anywhere to study. For now I guess, reading books, doing practicals, drawing, reading online will do. =S
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    If iwere you, id take your existing (will be once you finish) and go get a job. You've more than likely learned what you need with this degree. I found a game programming a pretty basic course. We spent most of the time just adding code to existing code and editing code mistakes... could have just been the school, but I honestly think you'll be wasting valuable time. If you have the fundamentals of code down, your golden!
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    BCIT has a game development degree program: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/825hbtech

In my final year at BCIT in getting my bachelors of technology, though I am in a wireless and mobile application bachelors of tech program since the game development option wasn't available until this year. There's a 2 year diploma program to go through before hand which is over 30 hours of class and lectures a week. It's just an insane amount of work for the first 2 years then they let up once you move into the degree programs. The program was built from what I heard with a fair amount of feedback from various game studios around Vancouver.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    whoa that awesome, wkwkwkwk, graduated from bcit, but never head about that program ...
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    I was talking about Colleges in Ontario only..=\ If I wanted to do something from vancity I'd just join VFS because they have been after me for sometime now. (dont even know why...<.<)

fanshawec offers modeling, animation, maths, AI, physics, game engine modification, audio programming and so on...in other words, the program that teach you game development in short period of time from ground up to the level of game industry not just (how to: use 3ds max, UDK and implimentation to create a game) will have my vote.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion(s). :)
  • fsf
    I am now in the 3rd year of Game Programming at Humber College and I would be happy to help you out with any questions you may have about the program.

I went into the program with no programming experience besides html, and now I can confidently say that I am an experienced programmer. I may not be ready for AAA games, but it's a huge start.

Some people in my program may not agree, but the best thing about the program is that it teaches you everything about the game industry, not just programming. I think going into the industry, one can really benefit having more background then just knowing how to code.

My biggest complaint about the program is that it is still new. I will be the 2nd year to have graduated and some of the program's courses are still being modified. They are working on it though and have been changing it every year. They also are trying to stay with the trends (such as introduced iPhone development this year).

The professors are extremely experienced in programming/engineering/math, however not as much in the game industry itself. I didn't find this to be a problem.