Home General Discussion

Dominance War delayed until 2011.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
http://www.dominancewar.com/2010/en_delay.html
GCCore always strives to make the best game art competitions ever, unfortunately, due to the major increase in funding and man power required to run Dominance War, Unearthly Challenge, The Comicon Challenge, and now the creation of Game Artisans Montreal, GCCore must postpone hosting all further competitions until Game Artisans Montreal has been set up and a staff of devoted members can be found to run each separate major event.
Delayed schedule:
Unearthly Challenge’09 champions announcement – 05.03.2010

Unearthly Challenge’11 – 09.02.2011

Dominance War V start date:
- DWV Mini Challenge - 11.5.2010.
- DWV Main Challenge - 01.20.2011

Comicon Challenge’10 – Summer 2010
Well, this sucks.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well, its not like people need an oficial competition to get some art done :P
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    What I read from that is 'I spent a load of cash setting up my own little playboy mansion so there is no money left for DW or UC.'

I mean WTF.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    What I read from that is 'I spent a load of cash setting up my own little playboy mansion so there is no money left for DW or UC.'

I mean WTF.

Quite obviously you don't realise how much effort it is to arrange these things.

Anyway, this really sucks :/
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Johny wrote: »
    well, its not like people need an official competition to get some art done :P

QFT

Blenderhead, if you think you can run a better comp all by your lonesome, and actually get an ass load of people to want to compete... be my guest

It kinda sucks, but at the same time, I'm glad they postponed. Take all the time you need IMO. It's an ass load of work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, we need a break anyway. With UC and DW coming so close together and updates flying so fast it feels impossible to follow and basically kills polycount for me.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    While I have great respect for the ambition and dedication displayed by Fred and the other people organising this, I think it has gotten out of hand. I'd much rather have a competition between just two forums with no prizes, but running on time.

I don't think the DomWars have gotten any more fun over the years. That nice rivalry between CGChat and Polycount and just a handful of entries had just as much charm as seeing the absolute best the industry has to offer.

And now it has grown to the size where it apparently takes a year to organise, which is just ludicrous if you ask me. (Even if the eventual competition will be a lot of fun, like it is every year).
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefk.jpg

I was really looking forward to this, suppose ill just whoop my own ass.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Mjeh, for me dominancewar is more than a fun competition between forums etc. I don't care for the prizes, for me its practise, glory and above all, career opportunities. Dominancewar is one of few competitions that help you get a visa, so.. :P
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never said it was easy to organise...but it always ran. Also he doesn't do it alone. The only thing different in the equation this year, is that new place he got himself. With DW money it seems.
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    While I have great respect for the ambition and dedication displayed by Fred and the other people organising this, I think it has gotten out of hand. I'd much rather have a competition between just two forums with no prizes, but running on time.

I don't think the DomWars have gotten any more fun over the years. That nice rivalry between CGChat and Polycount and just a handful of entries had just as much charm as seeing the absolute best the industry has to offer.

And now it has grown to the size where it apparently takes a year to organise, which is just ludicrous if you ask me. (Even if the eventual competition will be a lot of fun, like it is every year).

I agree. I think this is a good oppurtunity for PC to have its own small comp for any forums that want to do one too during the times when DW was scheduled for. No big prizes or anything (not that all DW winners got their prizes lol)

Would probably be a good thing too, if the theme were right...maybe something more lighthearted than DW. I got a bit sick of staring at multi-titted ghoulies last year. Get Josh in on deciding the theme, he always comes up with great ideas :D
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing different in the equation this year, is that new place he got himself. With DW money it seems.

what? Do you have any reason to think that, other than the contest being delayed?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree with Jonny, go make art, do it DW/UC specs if you want. It sucks that the art you make on your own won't get that level of exposure but honestly its gotten so big that there is a lot of amazing art that goes by unnoticed already.
    Unearthly Challenge’09 champions announcement – 05.03.2010
    Really, 5 months into 2010 half a year after the contest ended. Wow, re-dick-u-in-the-ass.

Take all the time off you need just make sure when it starts up that it runs without delays. None of this set a date and get everyone excited 6mo in advance then dick them around for 2 more months past that date. Stick to the times announced, set a reasonable time for judging and have it all wrapped up no more than 3mo after it stops. If that can't happen them maybe it shouldn't...

Take 2 years off, hell take 3, just make sure its run with the respect and promptness that everyone deserves and demands.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't agree more Vig...

This is probably a good thing...maybe it got too big and bloated for its own good.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    guess it leaves polycount open to have its own little challenge..we could call it Civil War...Polycount brother against brother.. I had a shitton of fun when we did the halloween challenge way back in the day...all we need is da rulz and da themez
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    hey! that'd be fun! I kind of liked the smaller competitions we used to have around here...

DW is just so big now.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    low odor your wish will soon be granted.... please stay tuned...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

Off with your head!

What will it be, brother? Black or Green?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    guess it leaves polycount open to have its own little challenge..we could call it Civil War...Polycount brother against brother.. I had a shitton of fun when we did the halloween challenge way back in the day...all we need is da rulz and da themez
    This would be awesome.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Huzzah.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10

I hate how much you guys love teasing us around here :P

New site - Yes, BUT YOU MUST WAIT!

Contests - Yes, BUT THAT'S ALL WE TELL YOU!

You give me chest pains...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry fellas... Details are mum right now. Soon... I promise.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know, I'm personally really happy to see that they managed to open up an art studio. That's a really big accomplishment in my eyes.

While it's a bummer that things will be so delayed, I can't really feel too upset about it. I'd be happy to see some kind of competition run in it's place to echo the do a really awesome model in this more than one week of time theme, but it's not like I can't find that somewhere else. I believe eat3d has some pretty nice contests they run and gameartisans has really stepped up a notch on the minis since Josh started running them. Even starting that macro one.

I don't think prizes matter too much, and if people don't enter just because of that, it's really their loss.

Edit: Just saw your post Jesse- thanks for saying something, I'm super excited about that!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Although it's too bad that there won't be any Dom War this year, this will give me a chance to practice for next year. Also, I am totally on-board for a polycount-specific contest to take its place. (for now)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I actually got a question in an interview about my entry for UC09. They asked "So where did you place?" and I just had to say "Well, I wish I knew, They haven't announced it yet. Hehe" They thought it was pretty funny since they knew about dominance war.

We also tried to navigate the UC-webpage to find the current entries. It didn't go very well since it all links to 2008 stuff... but it worked well enough for what we needed.

Yeah I couldn't organize it, Yeah I shouldn't whine. yeah he does it for free... but he could at least write something. We had to stumble in the dark for the unearthly results for a very very long time. The first date we got just went by, Not a single word uttered for almost 1-2 months... I think... got no track of it anymore. It happens when it happens. If it happens.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    low odor wrote: »

I would love to have a contest like this over at polycount! we dont even need prizes just rules and a theme! :poly142:

Adam and Jesse make it happen :P
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    I would love to have a contest like this over at polycount! we dont even need prizes just rules and a theme! :poly142:

Adam and Jesse make it happen :P

The theme could also be Civil War! Everyone loves a good old school fight!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Way to steal low odors idea darth! ;D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lol yeah I kinda want to do unearthly challenge this year anyway its beginning to seem rather unlikely that I would be employed as a character artist in this current climate and I quite like enviro work anyway.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The first dom war was so awesome. That was definitely the most fun one and had some of the coolest entries.

I think we need a polycount comp that punishes and humiliates people for dropping out.
  • Mladen Jovicic
    a polycount challenge would be awesome. like that street fighter one back in the day. so many great entries turned up.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    I think we need a polycount comp that punishes and humiliates people for dropping out.

Haha there could be icons that go up under a persons usename :D

Also if it was to be called Civil war, you could have people challenging each other, that could be fun...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    The first dom war was so awesome. That was definitely the most fun one and had some of the coolest entries.

Haha there could be icons that go up under a persons usename :D

Also if it was to be called Civil war, you could have people challenging each other, that could be fun...

Yes we need a shame meter or badge system, preferably hooked up to some kind of electroshock device. No trophies or stars for doing good. But you get shame and a shock for not competing or entering and not finishing. =P
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i dont understand that expensive price thing anyway,
    make them challenges monthly and the one who wins decides the theme of the next one, rules are always the same
    this is just like 2 threads in a seperate forum and done

edit: im for the shame meter thing
    and i want a hall of shame, which is merely the 10 worst competitors currently online
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    bounchfx wrote: »
    Off with your head!

What will it be, brother? Black or Green?

Green :)

I'd personally LOVE to see that sort of comp..either a Civil War type idea or picking a fight on our own with someone else - bringing the fight to GA, maybe? Being the spiritual successor to CGChat. 'Dominance War 1 Pt.2'
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    jesse: awesome, trust polycount not to let us down in the time of need!
    I'm so pissed I never finished last year, I was all fired up for this war

ps, UGLY MAROON BLUE AND GREEN REPRESENT
    waaaaaaaargggghhh
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    polycount challenges are more fun! let's run repeated civil wars and abscond from all of the intergalactic bullshit. Everyone can form up teams based on colors, and fight over why adam is taking so fucking long to update the site. Team 'captains', who defined their group's colors, would all be badass artists (cause nobody is gonna join my team, or the maroonbluegreenbullshit ((sorry rooster))) and would be obligated by guilt or being gauss to give in depth critiques to their band of brothers.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    How about a little polycount themed pixel art vagina that goes under your user name if you join and then drop out?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I thought we were supposed to discourage drop outs
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... just like to comment that this is the first I've heard of Game Artisan's Montreal... that's a fucking great idea. Good reason to post-pone the dom war in my view. I want one in Vancouver. :P
  • Mrskullface
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way to steal low odors idea darth! ;D

Nah, that's what I meant. He said it would be a polycount civil war, I meant it could also be themed as the American Civil War....Oh....Nevermind HA
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    damn, well that's a pretty big disappointment. :(
    Snefer wrote:
    Mjeh, for me dominancewar is more than a fun competition between forums etc. I don't care for the prizes, for me its practise, glory and above all, career opportunities.

Yeah, you'd think people would want Dom War more than ever this year with so many layoffs etc. Obviously we all know you can do art whenever you want, but its a different situation when you know a ton of people will actively critique and share work for some sense of comradery and the same basic theme.

But I guess if this will help fred out and make dom war more consistant in the future, it's definitely a good thing
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    A Polycount "Dom War" would be fantastic.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    It's a little disappointing about DW, but having a Polycount challenge seems like it would be so much more awesom3R!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom war news is highly dissapointing...i think the civil war idea the low ordor came up with is fantastic...keep us sharp for a dwar top 10 sweep in january >:)

-woog
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome, Polycount civil war!! Sounds cool to me :D

The only thing I'll want to see is a 2-D section. Cause that was my plan for what I would have done in this year's DW. :P
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    you guys stfu! it's not very civil war-ish if you blab your microsoft sam's so much that all the other forums sniff wind of it.... sheeesh......
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Time to work hardcore on my drawing and modeling skills (or lack thereof) and see if I can't actually create something now. I'll be out of school soon, so i'll have time to work on it all..either way, it is a bit disappointing it was pushed back, but it's true, there really are lots of competitions one after another, rapid fire.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never said it was easy to organise...but it always ran. Also he doesn't do it alone. The only thing different in the equation this year, is that new place he got himself. With DW money it seems.

I agree. I think this is a good oppurtunity for PC to have its own small comp for any forums that want to do one too during the times when DW was scheduled for. No big prizes or anything (not that all DW winners got their prizes lol)

Would probably be a good thing too, if the theme were right...maybe something more lighthearted than DW. I got a bit sick of staring at multi-titted ghoulies last year. Get Josh in on deciding the theme, he always comes up with great ideas :D

DW money? Are you fucking retarded, you think DW actually MAKES money? Fred has in the past fronted the entire thing out of his pocket, but now he is somehow this millionare drinking martini's in his penthouse with all the "money" he makes from..... What is it exactly he is selling again?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    May I remind everyone there are a group of use here interested in a vehicle competition. This may be the time to get this off the ground with a friendly competition with another site.?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, if we're all so rabid for competition then lets set up something between us and 3d total.
    No prizes needed, just a game art forum war like the dominance war started as.

NOt to mention there are the monthly mini's over at GA as is, and every other month is part of that chess set competition, which taken together will make a really nice folio piece.

Sure a DW victory is serious art cred, but its so huge now your entry gets lost even on your home forum.

edit: also ++ to what EQ said.

The reason the dom war even had prizes the first couple years was due to donations from the artists and the biggest chunk came out of Fred's pocket.
    DW2, I think, didn't even have more than a couple of sponsors till after the competition started, but the prizes were still available/set up ahead of time and the competition went live anyway thanks to Fred's dedication.