Home General Discussion

Jobs : WTF, seriously.

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    big hoo haa over nothing. your work is cool and I am sure you will get something soon.
    I am sure you know that already. Times are hard right now anyway, lots of talented people without work.
    Nearly every job I see these advertised these days is for a senior or exceptionally talented artist. I don't envy anyone trying to break in these days
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We weren't trying to character assassinate you, it was just that certain queries came up more than once. As some of us here found it hard to believe that with your level of skill and experience you would find nothing on the job market.

With Dejawolf coming out and saying what he did, brought what was mere suspicion in my opinion to the forefront of this debate.

I didn't mean to implicate you in a bad light as I respect you as an artist, I don't know your life situation but even now from what you said I begrudgingly say this.

We all make plans then life happens, our intrinsic ability as human’s is to adapt and change to the situation as and when possible. Don't you feel that in a shaky climate such as the one that we are in you should at least be a bit more pliable and adapt your plans to the situation?.

There are already a few options, that people have presented.
    1.work on portfolio
    2.take freelance work
    3.go to university
    4. other creative areas of work

To be honest I would take this thread as a compliment as it demonstrates that polycounters on some level really do care about their own to some extent.
    Ego, I wouldn't think so, but I certainly have a chip on my shoulder that's getting heavier with time. I took a leap to save my own life literally, and expected the industry i devote myself to wouldn't let me down but it did and i fell flat on my face.

So in contrary to your comments I don’t feel like you have been left out in the cold or been allowed to fall flat on your face. Aren’t we all part of the gaming community? Aren’t we trying to help and take care one of our own?.

Ok maybe none of us here are in the position here to give you that coveted job at naughty dog or blizzard etc.

But we are trying the best we can to alleviate the "chip" upon your shoulders given the circumstances.

As I said in my initial post I think your work is great, I remember the first time I saw it even to this day, it's top notch and I'm sure a games studio will definitely pick you up.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the biggest issue i have , is that your sort of "self destroing" your chances, you were offered temporary freelance work that might put some money on your pocket , , but you shrug it saying you need stability ( ??? , i mean you have no job, how come refusing work that comes your way when you need it is to be considered stability ? )

comments were given to your folio that were only with the intuit to help you , and you shrug them or call them personal preference , wtf man.

About avatar and vegas ( i actually like vegas alot, its a great game gameplay wise ) you cant expect people to guess what you worked on...that goes without saying...

I dunno , i just think you just need to make some "mainstream" art that is used in nowadays games even if it pains you , just do that with the same quality you have your personal work and im sure youll find a job mate :)

now get crackin !
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the biggest issue i have , is that your sort of "self destroing" your chances, you were offered temporary freelance work that might put some money on your pocket , , but you shrug it saying you need stability ( ??? , i mean you have no job, how come refusing work that comes your way when you need it is to be considered stability ? )
    There's a difference between "I need money" and "I need a job". What I need is a job, a stable life, 9-5, independence, knowing I'm going to be in x city for the forseeable future. Sability. I'm not aching for money at this point, i have some savings. Isn't it better for those freelance 'quick money infusion' jobs to go to someone that needs money NOW, like the guy earlier in the thread that is probably homeless this week? I tend to think that's very unselfish and helpful to my fellow artists of the industry. In fact i referred all those offers I had to pass up to that guy.

Yet you guys act as if that's being an ass hole or picky... Do you see how easy it is to misjudge someone's reasons? I hope this helps you understand that part.
    comments were given to your folio that were only with the intuit to help you , and you shrug them or call them personal preference , wtf man.
    You don't agree that choosing my thumbs based on one person's choices is destined to be countered by someone else deeming another thumb more worthy? I thought the argument I made was a good reason.
    About avatar and vegas ( i actually like vegas alot, its a great game gameplay wise ) you cant expect people to guess what you worked on...that goes without saying...
    In the case of Avatar I did state what I made in every shot right? Except the general beauty shots at the top. If you have an example of where it's not clear what I did, maybe to explain better what you mean.

As for Vegas, you guys I wrote in the top that I passed on practically every texture in that game. I touched 90% of the textures!! I can't break down every screen shot because my fingers were all over each one. I don't know how to explain that any better than I have. Almost every texture in every shot, I either optimized, repackaged, cleaned, or created. There's no way to break that down shot per shot because it encompasses the entire scene! It was a 3 part job and in most cases I can't remember exactly what i did on each texture, there were thousands and it was a high pressure 'no time to think' project.

Do you see how much text it took above to try and explain it? And probably it still isn't clear enough. This is why i never put Vegas in my portfolio...

Look, Imagine your job was just to take all the textures from one game and transfer them to the other game. Then ask that person to break down a screen shot of what he did. You can't break it down because that work is all over the screen. That was just one of my 3 tasks on vegas 2. All 3 tasks blend together and encompass the entire texture library.

God see it's taking even more text.
    We weren't trying to character assassinate you, it was just that certain queries came up more than once. As some of us here found it hard to believe that with your level of skill and experience you would find nothing on the job market.

With Dejawolf coming out and saying what he did, brought what was mere suspicion in my opinion to the forefront of this debate.
    What you guys need to understand is there's a lot to this situation that is playing part in my decisions, which i can't tell you guys about. Because of contracts or NDAs or lawsuit risks etc, I can't tell you half the story... I don't blame you guys for suspecting this-and-that about me cherry picking etc, but trust me when I say that if i could take any of these full time jobs I would have already.

The thing when you start wondering negatively about me out loud, a potential employer might just happen by and take them for true. That I have 'anger issues' that i 'cheery pick jobs' that i 'hold out for too much money'. All of these have now been alluded to in this thread, none of which are true. It might be unintended, but this thread is spawning more and more of these statements.

I'm not raging at polycount or anything, I tend to like the crowd here, just feel this thread is expired now. Like I said i made this thread to just get a feel for what everyone else was going through and if I'm doing something wrong. By now those have been answered in a million ways so I think it's time for this thread to die out.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys do need a slap upside the head some times, you know that right?
This discussion has been closed.