Home General Discussion

Jobs : WTF, seriously.

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    From my end it looks like alot of studios art teams are on lockdown and seem much much more selective than they were a year ago. They can hold out until they find someone perfect and theres thousands of artists out of the job at the moment also applying to these studios.

Your work is really great and I know how frustrating it can get (I been trying to get back in the industry for about 7 months, and I didnt think it would be this tough, as I am cheap, have triple A title experience and I think my artwork is to a pretty good level (always trying to improve)) Im sending stuff out every week, Im networking, Im talking to recruiters, constantly building on my toolset and artwork. The more and more I think about it the more it seems a case of right place right time. Just keep doing what you are doing and Im sure you will find something eventually. Maybe look into remote contract work as opposed to freelance while still applying to studios for in house positions.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Tried, no go. Think about it, people hiring in our own industry cant flex their minds around a non-cookiecutter portfolio and see the merit of an artist.
    I feel you on this. I can see you fitting in perfect over here, as long as you're making money you don't need to speak much Japanese :P. If a studio here is willing to talk to you, then they must have key people on staff who speak some English. I've been out of work since 2008, and I've gotten two interviews since, TONS of generic emails, a couple: "We like what you do, but we're looking for something like Gears or Halo.". Not saying the artwork on those games are bad, but it makes you feel like crap when you try to be yourself when all they want is for you to be like "the next guy..".

You can do it. Stick it out and don't give up. Your portfolio is one of the ones I have bookmarked as inspiration for painted textures. I don't feel you should surrender and do some cookie cutter work, but take something that is "cookie cutter" and go beyond so you can still feel creative and like an artist. Someone out there will see you for the artist you are.

Now let's hope this posts the first time... fingers crossed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Seriously is it just me, am I just a really shitty artist that's been lied to all this time, or is there no movement whatsoever on any studios hiring anymore. After one year of contacting studios with only one interview to show for it.... I'm about to give up on the whole thing.

So yeah is it just me having bad luck? How bad is it out there for everyone else? I'm addressing mostly the established pros here since students tend to have a harder time by default. (BTW i feel for you poor students trying to get in right now)

In conclusion : WTF is going on?! Do they need me to make AK47s and brick walls before i'm deemed 'hiring material' ?? I got my first job with 3 crappy sub-PS2 quality amateur works. Now I'm busting my ass piling on the works and get nothing. NOTHING. I have plenty of titles under my belt covering a range of styles 2 of them next gen AAA and come from a major studio hello!!! What's the hold up @#MT1@PGN(2546(wtweN@GN(V(4VN@~!!!

Love, one of many artists frustrated with the industry.

PS to my pro peeps: Hook a brother up >.<;

Edit

I'm getting a couple PMs so far about various US jobs. I appreciate it, but please note that I'd probably need a pretty powerful studio pushing for me to get a visa in order to get in. I'm really unsure about the whole visa situation, i keep getting conflicting information from different sources about whether its possible for me. But long story short is i have no post secondary degree and keep hearing there's no way to get in without one.

I don't know if its the kind of thing you discuss after an interview or something i should have beforehand.. I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time going through a hiring process and then hit a brick wall when they try to process my immigration.

Since you are from Canada, have you looked in to across border work permit?

And I dont think you should give up on something just like that. If you keep on applying you will eventually get it!!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Man I can't really add anything that hasn't all ready be said but I just wanted to let you know: You're work is awesome and I hope you get a gig soon. Good luck and don't give up. There's too much talent in that portfolio to have you quitting!
    (yeah I know generic comment...)
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    When in doubt tailor a few pieces for specific companies. Or atleast nail there style and genre and use that to help apply places. Youve got a good range of stuff but it all seems to lean on the painterly side a bit. Try something else to put contrast into your folio.

You have nice work. Keep the faith, and make connections. Knowing people goes miles farther than being an annon name in a stack of portfolios.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing so many inspiring artists having trouble finding employment really really scares me.

One thing I noticed is that it's mostly character artists who are unemployed nowadays. Is it coincidence or is job market as bad for animators/environment/concept/tech artists as well?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Why arent any of you guys freelancing? A good way to earn some cash and work on your skills/portfolio in the same time!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Art-Machine,

Looking at your portfolio its sad to hear you cant find a job, your stuff is amazing and you obviously have industry experience so i don't know why no one has snatched you up yet!

The only thing i can say to do is work on a generic space marine or something you'd see in a modern warfare, Yeah i know there generic assets that can be seen on a million different artist portfolio's but the sad ting is that what companies are looking for.

Im not sure what kind of positions your applying for do you mind sharing what your currently looking for?

Cheers,

Arman

Edit:
    Also look over your portfolio site there are a ton of spelling errors/mistakes.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've had feedback on my portfolio that it is too stylized, which cast doubt over my ability to do more realistic things because it wasn't obvious in my portfolio. This isn't a slight to your work at all, I think it's lovely, just sharing personal experience. I've had the inside connection, met all of the requirements but just got turned away because my personal style wasn't that of the companies.

I hate saying it because your own work should be whatever you want, but when I look at your work I instantly get the feeling of high fantasy that would be right at home in an RPG (Blizz, Squaresoft, Arenanet, etc.) So, maybe, even though it may be against your own personal taste, you should do a character or two - or even a few game resolution busts that attempt photo realism or mimic popular shooters. (Edit: Or props and enviro stuff - Not sure what you really want to do.) I looked through your entire folio and I've watched you for a long time on PC - So, if I'm getting that feeling, imagine what an HR person does. They could easily make a mistake like that. Especially if they are just glancing at your thumbs - they see a few high fantasy weapons, stylized character work - it might not fit the exact description given to them by the AD...and probably don't have the ability to truly spot talent, just if X matches X.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with this as I know plenty of people who normally prefer stylized work that can just as easily do realistic things - I can just see it being an issue.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    You know, the stuff on you're site looks similar in style to the few screenshots I have seen of a game Big Huge is currently working on. They used to have contracted art positions on their site. Maybe you should contact them about getting some remote work? Just a suggestion...
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    undoz wrote: »
    Your art is awesome and I've been having the same doubts and asking the same questions myself.

I'm in the same situation as you are, only that I don't have much experience to prove. Months of searching without any reply...
    At the moment I think that the job market in Europe is worse than CA or US.

You should move out here to Canada or the US. Your a pretty amazing artist, one that I've admired since I started. I can't see any reason you could not get a job out here.

https://jobs.ea.com/jobs/jobposting.aspx?refresh=1&postid=a0z50000000IZOWAA4
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

Last night I got a huge lightning bolt inspiration about a more 'tech-y' piece that should prove very memorable as well as showing that I can 'do gunz??' and stuff. So I have that to pour my frustration into for now. Hopefully it won't be labeled still not realistic enough since its a pretty out-there idea.

It's disheartening to see pretty much everyone else having the same problems out there as I am. I think the solution is to put artists in charge of portfolio browsing and not HR bots with a checklist reading "Army thug / Lamp post / Gunz"
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Gav wrote: »
    I've had feedback on my portfolio that it is too stylized, which cast doubt over my ability to do more realistic things because it wasn't obvious in my portfolio.

This industry is fucking crazy, apparently. Considering the shitty art a lot of even big name studios shovel out, i have to assume the 'realistic' portfolios beating yours mean zbrush noise and photosourced textures of roommates.

Art machine, you post some of the coolest work on polycount. Technically awesome and full of life. I can't offer any kind of help, but i at least want to say good luck. Someone with the power to dissolve the canadian border will notice you soon!
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say that you should keep your style and do the art that you love doing. This is your strongest point and it will help you in the long run instead of trying to please some HR lady.

Chad: thanks mate! I'm afraid there is no chance that I could get a visa.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    just move here anyway and work illegally! ;)

one thing you could try differently, would be to reword your stated Objective on your Resume. I'm wondering if people are turned off by the last line. Having ambition and goals are very important, and you need it, but i wonder if someone looking for a new artist, or senior artist (someone being an Art Director) would be turned off by someone who was also wanting to be an art director.

I'm not saying you couldn't, but more just that it could be interpreted in a way that may not help you get a job.

Your stuff is really strong, and i would love to play a game where you directed the art. Other option is to start a company ;)
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GT3D wrote: »
    I think I may go back to arch viz (did some freelance work before gaming) cause the game industry at the moment ain't doing it. My unemployment is about out and running out of options.

Unfortunately, Arch-Viz is feeling the same pinch. A lot of projects are on hold, budgets are very low, are outsourcing, or they're using SketchUp, etc to create low quality, inexpensive renders. If you're great at networking, you may be fine (it's my weakest point), just be prepared to compete with lots of laid-off artists in that field as well.

I fell into ArchViz after school and had a good few years with it, but I'm doing what I can to migrate into video games. If I'm going to struggle in an industry, it may as well be the one I'm passionate about.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Dude if you need to make something in a realistic style, how about a Predator hunting down ww2 troops or have one hunting down a roman legion. Just because it has to look realistic doesn't mean it has to be boring. So you can just model a ak 47 or make a scene out of something that everyone knows how it's supposed to look like, a predator and present it in a way that it hasn't been seen before, ripping apart a Roman Legion. If you look at it as now I have to model an AK 47 or some tank to get a job, it will be boring for you. it be like doing homework. Just a thought. Also if you give up you are a wuzz! You have to much talent to let it go to waste.

As for the degree thing, I would hold off on it. Add more work to your site that's in a more realistic style and see what happens.
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Unfortunate to hear this. Always thought your work was grade A.
    Lots of advice in here, a lot of it good advice. But you know what your doing.

Best of luck to you, and anyone else that finds themselves in such a situation.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    and not HR bots with a checklist reading "Army thug / Lamp post / Gunz"

Haha couldn't agree more. I suspect most times my reel doesn't even go past the recruitment company if I send one in that way, cause I have only once heard back from an actual company that way...
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    It apparently still requires a bachelors or equivalent schooling. It's really a frustrating pile of rigid rules and they don't care if you have talent or experience unless its 12 years fulltime. This is what i've been told anyway. Yet anyone with no talent and that piece of paper can walk across in minutes. I would love to be in touch with these magical lawyers that keep getting these other people through without a degree so if you know of one let me know. :/

If you are under 30 and can somehow get a hold of £1600 (that's gonna be $2500ish), you can qualify under Tier 5 of the UK Youth Mobility Scheme -- this will give you a 2 year work visa. By the way, Splash Damage is hiring environment artists. :)

I'm Canadian and I did it. Visas are a bit of a pain, but this is still a pretty good scheme.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I think, sometimes it is necessary to compromise a little just to put food on the table, even if that means doing a task we consider to be bland, just to get an employer's attention. Then once a job is secured (even if it isn't one you fancy..or at a level equal your ability), you continue applying to studios that truly value your creativity. Eventually, one will bite!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Get a part-time job to pay the bills, grab a game engine, and start working on producing your very own game. If you can get a decent prototype, you can pitch it to any one of the major publishers, and either pick up funding, or have one of the most kick-ass portfolio pieces.

It's clearly not you, man. Your work is cherry. Some of the pieces in your portfolio knock me right on my ass. It's the state of the industry right now. Studios closing down left and right, thousands of artists looking for jobs. If you want to get back into the game, start a mod team, or start working on your very own title. That will give you plenty of more potfolio pieces to keep you interested, and it will produce something that you could potentially sell.

If the big-names just aren't hiring, it may be time to start exploring the indie space. While times be tight for the big publishers, opportunities for indie development are growing every year. Make a game for Facebook, it won't cost you a dime.
  • Chrisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
    Get a part-time job to pay the bills, grab a game engine, and start working on producing your very own game. If you can get a decent prototype, you can pitch it to any one of the major publishers, and either pick up funding, or have one of the most kick-ass portfolio pieces.

Most certainly not if you ask me. Tried that. I also know people who have. Even if the given game gets finished, you realize it was a waste of time, because only the final result shows, not the hours you put into making it actually work; hours you could have used making quality art instead. Make sth unreal challenge is a different story, but I don't think that's considered indie either.

The general point of this thread is that he is doing everything right, and it still is not enough. Which, aside form being plain unfair and wrong, is very discouraging for people with less skill, but just as much hope.. Not much to say really, except good luck!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catachirsm wrote: »
    Most certainly not if you ask me. Tried that. I also know people who have. Even if the given game gets finished, you realize it was a waste of time, because only the final result shows, not the hours you put into making it actually work; hours you could have used making quality art instead.

That's why you don't devote too much time to your rookie effort. Make a really, really simple game. We're talking on the same interactivity level as "punch the monkey." Then just focus on putting your own art into it. You spend as little time as possible on the game, and focus on the art. Grab a copy of Unity, and export your finished product for the web. Hook up a quick-and-dirty on-line leaderboard, and put it out on Facebook.

The point isn't to produce the next Peggle. The point is to get your name out there, in a fashion that shows off your game art-creation chops. The power of social media could do more for getting you a job than a static portfolio ever could. Get your quick-and-dirty game featured on kotaku or joystiq, and you could be looking at some serious publicity.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    In my opinion, Unless he really wanted to design games - how could that help? Do you think someone would see is overly simple game on Facebook and say - 'hire this fella!' ?

I'm sure someone will swoop in and correct me, but man, that's a pretty lofty dream. I admire your hope, but I think that's a dangerous path to walk down. He's already incredibly talented, if anything, the part that is lacking is focus or content tailored to a different audience. If he wanted to prove art direction, he could just as easily do that in a scene or with a portfolio of 'static images.'

Any second spent getting your head around the tools or game design (and LOOK at his work, he has an eye for detail - I don't think he'd settle for a Bejewelled clone, he would put a lot of effort in it, something he could be proud of) could and should be spent on more art and connection building......in my opinion, of course.

Gav
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (shrug) I'm just an alternative to what he's already doing. I mean, we've already established that he isn't doing anything wrong. He's done all he can in terms of grinding out the usual route. At this point, he can either spend all his time bolstering his portfolio, and crossing his fingers for someone to pick him up, or he can try to do his own thing.

The biggest benefit of going the indie route, is that you actually get to own your game. If anything fruitful comes from it, you own it and can exploit it to your advantage. Write some stories to go with your art. Maybe try developing your own animated shorts. These sorts of things can be used as potential intellectual properties. And a decent IP is worth money. If you've taken your portfolio to a place you are comfortable with, then start working on a project that you can pour some of yourself into.

So you don't want to make an indie game? Fine. Start drawing a comic book instead. Or a web mini-series. Or write a screenplay and storyboard it. Or even a web comic. If you just grind game art over and over, all you'll ever have is a portfolio full of game art. Develop something with a bit more depth, and you have the option of fleshing it out, or pitching it in some way.

With the amount of outsourcing to foreign countries and contract studios, the need for dedicated in-studio artists is diminishing. The situation is going to get worse before it gets better. Chasing after a dwindling job market where the salaries will probably be declining is a sucker's game. If you have talent and vision, start applying it to your own dreams.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you have talent and vision, start applying it to your own dreams.
    True.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    @undoz and Art-Machine

should apply to company in montreal. i heard more hiring here

@ undoz
    to tackle visa prob, try to apply in big game company. ur portfolio is too good

http://montreal.siggraph.org/resources
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Art-Machine, gl as everyone has stated you do great art. This is a wretched situation to be in. I feel you on the visa pain...
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    If your having a hard time getting a job Art-Machine then I don't like my chances ha ha. I didnt know about the degree thing for the USA, maybe I should be sending some resumes southward.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear your having issues. You have a lot of talent and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone picks you up!

- BoBo
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah man just keep going at it. The job market really just sucks right now. Just make sure to expand your portfolio with a diverse range of things, and someday when employers stop being little pussies they'll pick you up.

In my short experience I've seen a lot of overpaid people from a generation that can't cut it imo. There's always room for more talent.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    I understand that the job market "sucks right now", but how was it a few years ago for game-artists? Did recent graduates with solid portfolios land jobs back then? Were there lots of artists that couldn't find work?

Im just curious because there seems to be more and more of these threads popping up.

And Art-Machine, yea man like everyone has said: your work is killer. Good luck on the hunt I hope you find a good gig soon.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, beartraps,

Traps all day and traps all night. Traps can snap and rip and bite. Put a bear trap here, put a bear trap there. Traps can go most everywhere. Traps all day and traps all night. Me love traps with all my might. You can set it and forget it. But don't ever let it get you in the arm. Oh, no. It happened long ago. Careful with that trap in tow. You know, traps are real and forged in steel. Pappy taught me on the trapping wheel. These bear traps. She be my master. They clink and clank like a stab from a shank. Suddenly, there hence a stank. It was I. What a disaster. Put some bear traps in the road. We guarantee they'll snap real tight. Well, you must admit that it's a real man's trade. We'll admit that it's a real man's trade. It's a real man's trade. We'll admit that it's a real man's trade. Admit it's a fair trade.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I understand that the job market "sucks right now", but how was it a few years ago for game-artists? Did recent graduates with solid portfolios land jobs back then? Were there lots of artists that couldn't find work?
    Me and my buddy were quickly hired after graduation, and I saw at least 10 more people get hired after me just in art jobs at the studio.

That was... 2 years ago?
    ---
    A little more than a year ago the studio let go 40+ peeps, including myself.

So yeah, it's just a really really crappy market right now. Money needs to get flowing again, and studios need to expand and pick up new projects.
    Unfortunately entertainment is basically the last industry to recover from this sort of stuff.

Nothing is guaranteed of course, you always will need skills and a portfolio to prove em to get a job.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    cholden wrote: »
    Hey, beartraps,

Traps all day and traps all night. Traps can snap and rip and bite. Put a bear trap here, put a bear trap there. Traps can go most everywhere. Traps all day and traps all night. Me love traps with all my might. You can set it and forget it. But don't ever let it get you in the arm. Oh, no. It happened long ago. Careful with that trap in tow. You know, traps are real and forged in steel. Pappy taught me on the trapping wheel. These bear traps. She be my master. They clink and clank like a stab from a shank. Suddenly, there hence a stank. It was I. What a disaster. Put some bear traps in the road. We guarantee they'll snap real tight. Well, you must admit that it's a real man's trade. We'll admit that it's a real man's trade. It's a real man's trade. We'll admit that it's a real man's trade. Admit it's a fair trade.

WUT?!

nice avatar btw :P
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Hmmm on the subject... I do not really know what to say but...

As personnal experience on last year and this year :

- last year I done a triple test for playfish Beijin and I success. but salary was about 15000 RMB.
    It was a very good salary for living with 2 person overthere. but I have a wife and 2 children , then I finally refuse the offer :(....

- And now same with a company on New York, I have a test to do but the test is not the problem, just I am worry about the salary for family life on NYC...
    (by the way if someone is living on NYC I would be glad to know more about the salary over there)

Finally still freelancer, not easy, but I success to get money for my family and my life is correct. Not easy all the time but I am ok.

Then I do not really have advise for you...

Just continue to send and to give a look at www.gamedevmap.com

Also try a Game recuiter. I found my old job to Team17 like that in UK.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    truely this makes me wonder if there is any point....i cant find any freelance or full time work (im a rookie) and i got nothing compaired to you... what are we supposed to do? i suppose its probably an idea to think up a plan B :(
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    I sent my resume cover letter and demo to every studio in montreal and vancouver and not one reply... that was 3 week ago

Go me!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for all the comments guys.

It's disheartening to see pretty much everyone else having the same problems out there as I am. I think the solution is to put artists in charge of portfolio browsing and not HR bots with a checklist reading "Army thug / Lamp post / Gunz"

Yeah thats pretty much me and thats been my feeling as well. I ended up getting a reply from Starz a while ago saying they had interest then as I was in contact with the HR lady once she found out I had no professional exp she avoided me as if I had a disease. She told me to call back tho and I did only to ignore my calls, and email.

I then recently got a reply from another VFX company in Toronto only to find out that same HR lady is now working there.

Believe me, I've had dark sinister thoughts go thru my head when I found out it was the same person.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with sama.van. At this point you should work with a recruiter (be sure and find a good one). Your work is excellent so the additional job search help could be good for you.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey I really need to help my gf with her resume first! But here's an example of baking things down

Original:
    "Starting as Texture artist, by now Senior Model/Texture artist bordering on character (made many organic character related props on most recent project). Also designed several weapons and structural assets from scratch on most recent project, Avatar."

Optimized
    "Senior artist responsible for designing, modeling and texturing organic character props, structural assets and weapons"

I'm sure that could be worded better, I typically agonize over every sentence for hours. Also look up resume buzz words.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With resumes, you need to keep them short and punchy. Bullet point everything. Make sure the most important words are near the front of each sentence.

One of the secrets of resumes is to start off with a nice generic one, that is targeted toward the general industry you want to go for. This is the one you will put up on your site, and submit to recruiters and services like Monster.com. When you apply for a job directly, you take that general resume, and optimize it based on the specific job description. You can change the order of items on your resume to put the ones the job is looking for at the top. You can tweak descriptions and your purpose statement to reflect what that particular job is looking for. You want anyone reading your resume to be able to tell immediately that you are a good fit for the position.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    downarmy wrote: »
    I sent my resume cover letter and demo to every studio in montreal and vancouver and not one reply... that was 3 week ago

Go me!

3 weeks? Some companies let me wait 2 months.... Capcom hit the jackpot though. some "no thxu" postcard arrived 6 months later. Mind you that was in 2005
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    Ok the industry is worse off than I could have imagined. I would have hired you for sure when SLS was still running. The issue with this industry lately is that it only cares for realism war shooters. It’s like the 90s of movies all over again when Sci-Fi and fantasy almost died out in cinema. That’s more of a subject fixation though. It does not help that companies are being closed left and right. So yeah lots of great talent out there. The sad part is that many companies would rather hire desperate intern students instead of skilled artists that cost allot. Company CFO's care not about quality.

"Skiffy the junkyard monster is sad"
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Skiffy wrote: »
    The issue with this industry lately is that it only cares for realism war shooters.

[sarcasm]
    That would explain the miserable failure of great games like Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age, and L4D2.[/sarcasm]
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Excellent advice Perna.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    bad situation but there are quite a few good pieces of advice in this thread , thanks guys
This discussion has been closed.