Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warhammer Valkyrie WIP

Braxer
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Braxer polycounter lvl 10
Hello guys, I've been working on a model based on the Warhammer "Valkyrie" concept. It's not done yet (haven't started on the cockpit texturing yet) but I would welcome some feedback before i throw in the towel!
valkyrien.th.jpgwiressofar.th.jpg

It's 8 848 tris and has 2048*2048 diffuse, spec and normal map. Rendered in Maya Hardware with Kodde's CGFX shader.

Replies

• Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Nice piece Braxer. Welcome to polycount.

Although I don't know your concept (and I'm just to lazy to search for it) I guess you got the Warhammer style quite well. Texturewise I think you did a nice job. You can improve the overall impression of your modell by adding some additional details into your textures:

-Adding some grime at the exhaustion of the engines
    -Do some warhammer-like decals (Squadron emblems, numbers, faction-stuff)
    - Adding some damage, bulletholes if you like to.

consdering you model I think your polycount is quite high. As the basic forms ansilhouette of the ship is not that complex I think it should be doable with maybe 7000 (without cockpit) without losing much details. It basicly depends on what this is supposed to be used for. If it would be for an FPS 10.000 is ok, but the model lacks details for such a purpose imho.

A wireframe would be helpfull.
  • Braxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Oh, I can post some concept pictures and some additional renders + wireframe of the model tomorrow, It's hiding some details beneath the wings, there's some missile launchers and stuff.

I'll add some bullet holes, damage and grime aswell! Thanks!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the metal struts of the cockpit dont seem to be textured the main body of the craft looks real good tho
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Welcome to polycount Braxer.

It's always nice to see WH40k stuff. The first thing I'd say is that the texture is too dull. What's interesting though is that you actually did a good job of getting some small burn/scratch marks on the model in many of the right places, but it seems as if you merged all layers and decreased the saturation. The normal map looks a bit odd as well, a few burn/scratch marks appear to be popping out rather than caving in or it's just not apparent in places you'd expect (like the turbine detail above the cockpit). It could be your lighting setup, but then that brings us to the spec which doesn't appear to have much variation in it at all. The wing is where this is most apparent - the grime/rust has the same reflectance as the untouched paint.

The model itself is well done, you've managed to capture the overall silhouette quite well, I'd just touch up the diff/spec in a few areas to really help the details pop out.
  • Braxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I've been hanging around here for a while, but haven't been posting until now :P

I've pushed it down to 8850 tris, and I'm about to start working abit more on the textures. And I will rework the spec and tweak the normal aswell. thanks for the tips! I'll keep you updated when I've made some progress.