Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Sakichii

Hi and welcome to my sketchbook :)

I'm not entirely sure what to put up yet...
I guess I'll start by posting the art and models I've done over the last two years.

Replies

• Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an insect that I modelled and animated in early 2008. One of my first models.
    I'll put the polycount up later.
    3D_buggy_by_Sakichii.jpg

Buggy_Shaded_Wireframe____by_Sakichii.jpg
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The very first 3d modelling I did, way back at the start of 2008. This was before I knew anything about unwrapping and texturing. One day I'll try remodelling or at least retexturing it with my learned skills :)
    Locker_Room_by_Sakichii.jpg
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    wow so many polys on those boots.
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh yeah....I wanted them to be smooth...I think I might have used the mesh smooth tool..and overdid it a bit. I didn't know about polyflow and such back then.... ^_^'
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another 2 renders of my first 3d room. Nothing different about them aside from the angles...
    Locker_Room_2_by_Sakichii.jpg

Locker_Room_3_by_Sakichii.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Nice 1st projects. Some of things you need to take into consideration is the ligthing and the textures. On your room, everything looks very flat. A little variation on the textures would be nice.

good work tho
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah...when I did these things I was relying purely on uvmaps, and tiling I didn't do any unwrapping at all. Didn't know how to at the time.
    I just got out the room's max file and started unwrapping things today. I'm so out of practice it's taking a while though. I haven't done any 3d since half way through last year...because for the second half I was doing a 2d game...I really should have been practicing my 3d though.
    After I've finished my unwrapping I'll redo all the textures. Hopefully there will be a huge improvement!
  • JaySmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JaySmitt polycounter lvl 13
    Could you post some of your most recent work?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I think your scene has a lot of potential and it can be pushed a whole lot further.
    Here's is a quick and messy paintover with a few suggestions.
    - Colour variation in your scene. Everything is a dull grey.
    - Blood pool is way too big and doesn't make sense, where is the body? There are no drag marks.
    - Scale is off, the knife and flip-flops were too big.
    - I'm not sure what the water caustics are doing all over everything. Is this scene underwater?
    - Break up the copy/paste of the lockers. Remove a few locks, put stickers, grafitti, wear and tear into the lockers.
    - Lighting? I can see a really faint shadow of the bench being cast on to the lockers. This would make the lighting source really bizzare. Change rooms generally have a bunch of ceiling lights.

sakichii-001.gif

Here are a few things to consider:
    - REFERENCE MATERIAL! Always gather reference material first before building your scene. Don't necessarily copy what you see in your ref pixel for pixel, but use elements from it to make your scene believable.
    - Treat your environment as a character, it needs to have some life, some interest, some appeal.
    - Give your piece a story, a background. What are you trying portray with your image? What do you need to do with your piece to tell this story (atmosphere, lighting, elements).
    - Compose your shot(s). Block in some basic forms (lockers, walls, seats), then find some nice camera angles to best compose your image. Move things around to compliment your composition, don't try and shoe horn in a bad camera angle in the end because all your elements are scattered through-out the scene.
    - In addition to composition, find a focal point, the center peice of your scene (and this doesn't actually need to be in the center). The part of the scene you want to draw the viewer's eye to, then lead them through the rest of the image to tell your story.
    - Write up a prop/asset list. What do you need to have in the scene? This will help you make sure you have everything you need in your scene so you don't accidentally forget key elements.
    - Scale. Make sure everything is built to scale. Create a box with an average human height (I usually use 1.8m), grab one of the many basemeshes posted around the community and use that for scale reference. It will make your scene more believable.
    - Finally, REFERENCE MATERIAL! I cannot stress this enough.

Keep posting your progress, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic:
    You've made a lot of very good points, and I like the paint over, I can really see what you mean...it's good to have the visual.
    The thing on the bench is supposed to be a towel...^_^'

I'm in the middle of unwrapping everything now...well actually I've only just about finished the locker and lock. I was planning on only unwrapping and doing better textures, but now I'll definitely take everything you've said into consideration and try to make it awesome!

raul:
    I was planning to try to post everything as close to the order I'd done them as I could...
    I could post my most recent stuff now...but for the moment I think I'll just try to post in order faster.
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post box....done in 2008...the model is too basic and the textures not very good quality...
    The tramstop is better...but I realise they are both lacking in detail..
    I'll say right now that I'm not exactly proud of these models...
    Post_box_by_Sakichii.jpg

tram_stop_by_Sakichii.jpg
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the concept art and final model of my first character, made in late 2008.
    Desert_Warrior_Concept_by_Sakichii.jpg

Desert_Warrior_Model_by_Sakichii.jpg

Also did animation loops for the character:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fGvdhrPR4I[/ame]

Which reminds me, my first ever 3d animation was for my bug ^^:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohjS6z5ENxw[/ame]
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing I'm most proud of so far is my lipsynch, which I did during the first half of 2009. I thoroughly enjoyed making and animating it. I'm so proud of it, especially since the whole thing, from concept to final animation, was done in 6 weeks. The animation itself was done in less than 2 weeks.
    Heres my final concept art, a render and the animation:

Bubba_the_Clown_by_Sakichii.jpg

Bubba_The_Clown_Render_by_Sakichii.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bsDGmduFDE[/ame]
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another character I modelled and did animation loops for, unfortunately I haven't gotten around to rendering a good still, or the animations like I did for my first character...
    But here's what I have got, my final concept, the best render I have at the moment and some in game footage from Unreal Tournament 2004:

Bubbles_Turnaround_by_Sakichii.jpg

Bubbles_Model_by_Sakichii.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfTiMIH1Gbc[/ame]
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With this, I was given a base model which I unwrapped and textured. A derelict building.

Derelict_Building_by_Sakichii.jpg

This is another such assignment, where I was given a base model to texture:

Textured_person_by_Sakichii.jpg
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay now I'm pretty much up to date, at least with my 3d. I don't know whether I should put up any of my other concept art, or just stick to the 3d...
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    show us some concept if u have done any.
  • Sakichii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More concepts related to what I've already put up? (initial sketches etc.)
    Or other concepts of which I haven't done any 3d? (characters/2d art)