Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scouting Mech: Drone 04

Jensen
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jensen polycounter lvl 11
**Update for those who wanted to be updated!**

So and UPDATE on everything: The book came out finally. For those interested there are two versions: A digital version (which is half off right now) and a physical version:

The Digital Copy can be found here

The Physical Copy can be found here

It comes with 140 pages, nearly 3 hours of video tutorials and the mech-alpha brushes I made

In preparation for the book I went ahead and created a quick render in Mental ray + Photoshop so I figured I'd show that here.

drone_04__the_sniper_by_mikejensen-d32ai71.png

Nothing too special but there you have it =D

**End Update**

hey guys!

It's been a while I haven't worked on my elite in some time. This is because I've been lucky enough to be apart of a book with vitaly bulgarov and vik sorensangbam! It's a tutorial book for zbrush.

I figured I'd show what I've made. So far it's just a high poly (that's all I was supposed to create for the book) but I do plan to low poly it for my portfolio. I was going for an evangelion look.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll low poly my elite or my drone first. Probably my elite, just to go in order. I may want to make a sniper rifle for this dude as well. Since he looks the type to snipe.

This is pure zbrush.

Here's the base mesh:
spheres01.jpg

Here's the result of the high poly:

front-small01.jpg
back-small-01.jpg
side-small01.jpg

Replies

• seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I love it, you were able to obtain all these hard edges with zsketching?

Absolutely amazing work! Reminds me of a Eva' Unit, I hope to see this low poly and ingame!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Wow that looks amazing!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    it's retarded how awesome this is!
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    This is a fantastic character! Badass style dude.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    So about this book...
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    My eyeballs just exploded from all this awesomeness!
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Killer!!! Love it so far. Keep up the great work.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Those are some crazy proportions, but it looks awesome. I'm a little concerned on if it could move properly, but it looks like the joints were built with that in mind, and you could probably get away with some stretching due to the thin style, so hopefully it will work out.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    deformable or not- those are some sexy forms.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's hot! Love all the crisp edges!
    It doesn't look like it's designed for movement, but it's still wicked.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great!!
    So... I have in e question. Since it seems like it was made all in Z, how 'in control' were you of the shapes being hard-edged? I love the outcome, super clean and believable - I am just wondering if it would be possible to follow an actual piece of concept faithfully with that technique, or if it kindof 'drives itself' (thats how I felt with many of the new Z brushes)

Anyways! Kickass surfaces!! Want to see more!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh this is delicious!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    aaaaw. crap. This is good. Really good. Guess I HAVE to learn zbrush better now.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    great work, man!
  • OzMa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very stylish character! Awesome!
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I'm also curious about this hard-edged workflow in ZBrush. This looks soo clean. A very nice result and certainly means another option in one's hard-edged aresenal!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Another great proof that zb also does hard surface pretty well.

nice character! :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I finished Metal Gear Solid 4 not longer than 3 hours ago, and I must say, this would fit perfectly in the universe, with the proper lighting, texturing, etc.
    Brilliant work.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    nice dude! the hips look a little thin from the front, but hey, overall great stuff. Your zsphere work is exceptional. Love the high tech muscle definition, keep the updates coming.
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Whats the secret dude? ;D Awesome proof of hard edge sculpting in Zbrush. Would love to hear how you aproached it. Keep it going man!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for workflow insights, looking great :)
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Indeed. share your zbrush hard surface voodoo with us.

Looking awesome
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    wow, what book it is?
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i had to guess how this was done :

after you flesh it out in zsketch you go in and use the retopo tool to build up all the larger hard edge shapes, then go back and add in greeble details.. probably used some custom alphas, and just a metric ton of the new planar brushes?

you might be able to do it all with just the new brushes in zbrush, that just comes down to obsession in that case.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    That looks awesome!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spill the beans!!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! Those hard surfaces look so clean! HOW did you do that in Zbrush?!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Like everyone is saying, really nice design, I really dig the head/helmet. One thing though that would make this more solid designwise is a lil bit wider hips, right now it looks like the legs come of too straight from the waist area. So what Im saying, more hips to support those long legs, I can imagine that since he is a scout mech, he is build for speed, much like a runner athlete.
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God damn! Looks like I've got another book I need to add to my collection.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    Looks like an Uber Geth (yeah I know I have been playing Mass Effect 2 for far too long now :D)

but anyways, great design, love the hard edge zbrushing
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I love it. Works like that is why I want to learn Zbrush while I keep working on my Environment portfolio.

As far as the Evangelion look, you nailed it. I'm a huge fan of that series and that looks like it could be a human sized EVA. Could also fit into Mass Effect, the evolution of the Geth??
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    This is super badass dude. Awesome work!

I'm curious about the heard edges too but i guess zbrush has a ton of new tools in 3.5 for that sorta thing.

i neeeeeed your seeeeecrets!
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Reminds me of the Geth, but a much more bad ass version.
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Glad you like it. here's a bit of a closeup on the character:

123456789_by_MikeJensen.jpg

@seforin: I was able to do a lot of the work with the sketch. Eventually I retopologised though, to get better control since the edge flow on the sketch's unified skins aren't that good.

@ae.: Thanks man!

@sage: Thanks lol i love the r-word! :P

@fullofclovers: Thanks man!

@DEElekgolo: Hey dude. The book is going to be called Zen of Zbrush. I'm not sure exactly when it's going to be released but I'll let you know in this thread when it's about to come out :)

@pestibug: haha go to the dr.'s office!

@A.Kincade: Thanks man!

@PredatorGSR: Thanks dude! Yeah i was definitely going for a very lanky elongated character. I don't think the model is really deformable. I think it would depend on what the material of the armor is made out of. If it was metal, this guy would basically be a statue. I think for the low poly I'm going to have to just kinda ignore a lot of the collisions that will happen so I can finish it up and make a new character. Like around the armpit will definitely have collisions between the triceps and the lats. I'm not going to worry about this too much.

@konstruct: Thanks dude!

@Throttlekitty: Thanks man! Yep not so much designed for movement :P

@pior: Hey dude! thanks for the nice words! I like to think that I had a lot of control. For most of the forming I used a lot of the claytubes mixed with hpolish. I do agree with you that the hpolish can kinda take off on it's own tangent and do it's own thing. But eventually I became really comfortable with it and learned what exactly it can and can't do.

I think it would be easy to follow a concept from front to back with one exception; I think it would be hard to follow a concept that has perfect primitive elements such as cubes and cylinders. I tried to make cylindrical forms on some parts of the mesh without starting form a primitive and I was fighting the forms the entire time. It didn't even turn out, so I had to scrap it.

@bbob: Thanks man!

@Snefer: lol :P she is waiting for you to stroke her soft ample digital clay!

@conte: Thanks dude!

@OzMa: Thanks man glad you like it :P

@cycloverid: Yes zbrush has come a long ways. Don't expect it to do everything you may want to do in hard surface work, but it can do quite a lot.

@[HP]: Thanks man!

@HonnkeyPunch: Thanks man glad you like! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the MGS games too much.

@Crazyfingers: Thanks man! I was definitely going for a very thin character :) The hips could be wider however.

@Karera: Thanks man! Basically after I zsketched, I sculpted a concept model. Then I retopologised and cleaned everything up and added details from that point on.

@rasmus: Thanks man! See the paragraph right above! I'm going into much more detail for the book :)

@HAL: Thanks dude. See in Karera's paragraph.

@roosterMAP: hey dude it's called Zen of Zbrush. It should be coming out relatively soon.

@Planaria: Hey dude. You are very much correct. I hardly used the planar brushes except to even out surfaces. but I never used them to create final forms. I used the hpolish brush mainly. I also used several custom alphas. But I don't think I was constrained at all by sticking to zbrush. Actually I'm happy I didn't have to use any other programs to finish up the model.

@doeseph: Thanks man!

@bitmap: lol! See a few of my responses above. That's my basic workflow.

@beartraps: Thanks man! The clean surfaces are do mostly to the hpolish brush.

@c0ldhands: Hey dude thanks! I agree on the hips being a bit tiny.

@OpethRockr55: haha Thanks man! <3

@Rapante: hey dude! I looked around for an Uber Geth and couldn't find what you were referring to. Thanks for the nice words :)

@Rurouni Strife: Thanks dude! Yeah zbrush knowledge is definitely an asset. You're correct I was going for more of a human sized Eva unit. I gotta find a picture of the Geth!

@imb3nt: Thanks man! The hpolish is the hero of this story.

@deadpixl: LOL I have got to see a geth! The only one i saw was of:

me_geth_1.jpg

But there has to be something that looks more similar. I don't really see the connection between this and mine.
  • Emagdnim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great work man, reminds me a lot of mass effect
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    awesome man, fucking love your elite too. you are the best hard surface modeler i've seen in zbrush thus far, except maybe this korean guy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skp_HSyCV0E[/ame]

you should check him out, you guys would probably be friends XD
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey thanks for the reply! Your description perfectly matches what I was experiencing lately with the new Z3 features - some great power, but some limitations regarding the creation of certain kinds of 'ruled' surfaces (I found the z3.5 trailers a bit misleading in that regard, somehow). But like you say its all about knowing what a tool can do and how to use it at its best!

I'm gonna play with Hpolish a bit more now! - thanks for the tip.
    I really enjoy focusing on one tool and getting the most out of it, and I was getting a bit lost with the million new brushes introduced in the latest z3. Now I know a bit more where to find what I need.

Btw if you have the chance check out mud2010. Under the flatten brush, there is an option to 'update plane'. If you untick it you can 'vacuum out' flat surface in a very interesting manner. It might help you get the perfect cylinders and cubes you tried getting in Z... (no Hpolish equivalent in mud tho!! hehe, got to have both apps I guess...)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the character, the style and all the hard edge zbrush madness!
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow man, really inspirational work there! keep up the fantastic work
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Can't wait for that book!
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, I gotta try out that hpolish brush. Mind if I ask how many hours you invested in this? Also, how far do you take the rough concept before you retopologize?

Really looking forward to that book!
  • thefrisbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks absolutely amazing sir!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    so I need to ask on workflow reasons (Im thinking it works on the same principles but I could be wrong)

Basic polygonal model/block shape

Sculpt in your basic forms with standard or clay brush

After that once your forms are in and your chiseles of lines are drawn etc You mask out pieces and chunks and use the planar flatten/ plannar brush for those edges.

Im assuming you work in a lower sub d (1-4) to get the forms in and then once you have your forms in in sub D 5-9 or whatever you suclpt the hard edge look with a combination of planar and masks and plannar flatten brush?

My question is when your 1st working with your forms with the standard brush, how do you get the round curves/ edges to appear so nice and beveled?

Or am im thinking a totally different work flow then yours ?

Please elaborate a quick run down of what you do and what brushes you majorly use if you can :)

I'll give you a cookie if you explain :D
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, awsome work!!
  • Bogdanbl4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great skills man!
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Jensen, I visit 3 sites everyday. Polycount, 3DTotal and ZBrush Central. And you are on the front page of all of them! Congrats on such a model!

On the Mass Effect 2 issue. I think there are no direct similarities, but rather the shape and form are similar as well as robotic type features. Either way, your stuff is compared to Mass Effect 2....and thats a hell of a thing! :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    AWesome work man, so clean and crisp, H Polish is your best friend!!!!
  • Jensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

So and UPDATE on everything: The book came out finally. For those interested there are two versions: A digital version (which is half off right now) and a physical version:

The Digital Copy can be found here

The Physical Copy can be found here

In preparation for the book I went ahead and created a quick render in Mental ray + Photoshop so I figured I'd show that here.

drone_04__the_sniper_by_mikejensen-d32ai71.png

Nothing too special but there you have it =D

It comes with 140 pages, 3 hours of video tutorials and the mech-alpha brushes I made

@Emagdnim - Thanks!

@ralusek: Thanks man =) Yeah that guy is amazing 0_0

@pior: Glad I could help =) That mudbox feature sounds intersting thanks for bringing it to my attention =D

@autocon: Thanks <3

@eltrex06: Thanks!

@DEElekgolo: =D It's finally out XD

@beartraps: np man =). The rough concept I took relatively far. Here's an image for you so you can kinda tell. I didn't use the hpolish brush at this point really only claytubes and smooth then just a tad of flatten and hpolish to clean up.

pixologic-initial-sculpt-009.jpg

@thefrisbee: Thanks!

@seforin: The main thing to keep in mind when trying to get these shapes is to keep everything VERY simple. Break apart all of the parts into pieces that are manageable so you don't have to break your brain trying to figure out how to clean up the mesh perfect. I used almost exclusively the hPolish brush to get the effect you see. And a lot of custom alpha brushes for the details.

@Nitewalkr

@Bogdanbl4: thanks a ton =)

@Zelenkov: Haha thanks man! I was pretty excited to have been able to make the front page of some sites =). I'm happy to be compared to mass effect 2 =D

@Hazardous: Thanks man! Hpolish is indeed the best!!
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so amazing. The attention to little details, like the decals and text is what makes this so great. Props to you sir (or maam)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    ralusek wrote: »
    awesome man, fucking love your elite too. you are the best hard surface modeler i've seen in zbrush thus far, except maybe this korean guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skp_HSyCV0E

you should check him out, you guys would probably be friends XD

Everyone knows koreans don't count.