Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I makes a Epic GUN

Replies

• Rens
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I doubt this dude is a newbie with a gun like that.. so I do think this is a joke thread.

it is a nice gun by the way!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Rens wrote: »
    wtfisthisshit.jpg

Right on Rens..

It took PC three pages to figure this one out.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I don't think anyone doubted that the thread was a joke from the get go. We all know the guy is an art teacher and that the model is well done.

Obviously a good number missed the issue completely. As one person mentioned something about "flaming"; let me answer that. If you think a well thought out post with no profanity, explaining the viewpoint of another member of the board is a flame, you should reconsider the situation.

The fact that so many decided to jump aboard with a high five mentality after my post really makes anyone who cares want to stop.

These little "internet is serious business" nonsense posts are little more than rudeness brought on by anonymity or the like. I think we all understand what the "internet" is and isn't.

If you don't have a thoughtful post, generally people on this board are not going to jump on you for it. But when it starts becoming epidemic in nature and no one speaks, I will.

I appreciate this gentleman's artwork. I can see he is talented, and a newcomer to boards. I may have found it better to start a fresh thread about my concerns instead of posting in his art thread, but my original point remains, and is generally unchallenged by "pew pew internet" posts.

Internet is silly to begin with, and his post doesn’t really even “bother” me per se; I see it in a very similar fashion to the yearly student rush. Game art schools graduate people, and then they flood the boards making 1000 posts within a week. Hey, it is what it is, and if they can do that, I most certainly can have 1 post expressing my thoughts on it.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never done the +1 rep post before, so here ya go PeterK.

Japhir, you need an 'under_construction.gif' in that avatar there. I can't think of lens flare without remembering the World Wide Web of yore and Netscape.

Speaking of Netscape, why did the recent wacom drivers install a special plugin for it?
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMFG! :D Probably never had this much attention before.
    Thanks for all the feedback, and stuff. ;)

So here it is, some minor fixes and a wire.
    65687419.jpg67359088.jpg77921010.jpg

Here's the normal map for the lensflare, baked in Crazy Bump.
    aknrm.jpg

Will try to do the color map for gun next next week.
    Any crits or comments are most welcome.

For the record I been working as a concept artist, now days I'm a Art teacher at the Game Assembly.
    When it comes to 3D though I'm learning it as we speak, and this is my second model ever (my first was that little low poly that someone mentioned).

U can find some of my concept art over here. :)
    And Thanks again!

/Danny
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Do you realize by posting your recent views of your 3d model how bad you made yourself look?.......

Nah I am kidding, I am really bad at "taking internet as serious business."

You need to remove the lens flare and make texture related to the used gun to make it golden. Like make it look like its been used in a war.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    don't use black backgrounds.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nnnuuuUUUh. did it work?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good Danny.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    can't believe my first post was serious. i should've caught on when i saw the avatar
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Guys. Kodde u da Man.

Took me forever to get things done but I´m starting to get a texture together here, just needs some polish, to be weathered down a bit and yeah, more lenslflare.
    akalmostthere.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking nice there, the difference between the dark and light metal might be a little much in the difuse (maybe better used in the specular), glad you posted again

when you get the time please in all seriousness put the lensflare back in... its like naked ladies to some people round here they get all giddy and child like

ffs my next model i make is going to be in a mirrored cube with a checker floor, then i can watch as the internet gets all used up with polycounters foaming at the mouth...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of accuracy issues. I'd say just look at one of the 20 AK threads that's been posted in the last week to get an idea. Also, your metal texture is too noisy and uniformly textured and the scrapes around the edges are too consistent.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    don't use black backgrounds.

I'm sort of surprised we're still dolling out this line around here, its on par with "always model in quads" spouting a line that is potentially helpful information, but forgetting to add the helpful part.

You shouldn't use black backgrouds when your shading/shadows on the mesh go to pure black, you lose contrast and the ability to see the silhouette. This was a huge issue 5 years ago when everyone used the same crappy shaders with ugly black shadows to display their work.

You can use black BGs, you can use white BGs, its all a matter of context, and in this instance, there really isn't anything wrong with his black BG, other than the fact that "you're not supposed to do that" his presentation has enough ambient light that the old issue with using a black BG, simply isnt an issue.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I'm sort of surprised we're still dolling out this line around here, its on par with "always model in quads" spouting a line that is potentially helpful information, but forgetting to add the helpful part.

This describes like, 75-80% of all posts on every art forum m8
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    dude, u get props with me for the lens flare...that was just genius! lol You will always be refered by me as the dude that used the lens flare!

Epic indeed...

Anyway, oh yeah, u posted some cool looking ak.....well, the textures look half decent. Keep it uP!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I want a gun that SHOOTS lens flares. Oh wait...that was Unreal 1.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    wohoo our teacher is awesome:D
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good, It just has some density problems in some parts? or your reference textures are not crispy enough? but you did a good job with the Low poly :)

BTW, I find than the best Colour for the background is this Dark grey you are looking at right now behind my text ^^
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good to me! One thing that looks off to me is how the wood turns sorta blue in parts.

All these people with their serious, 'don't endorse this guy's behaviour' posts made me laugh.
  • Ikuru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys. Thanx for all the amazing feedback again. :)
    Trying out some lightning playing around in Koddes Shader here.
    Will make sure to do something with the lensflare eventually, I have some plans... ;) thanx. /D
    ak47i.jpg
    ak472.jpg
    ak471j.jpg