Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First try with Stone Assets

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys! I started with some stone props yesterday and now i´m looking for some Crits&Comments.

This is what i got so far:
stein.png

I´m still thinking what i should do with the top, but let the crits rain *g*

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Not a bad start. What are you using for reference?

Couple things, rocks do no fit perfectly together 100% of the time. Each rock you have made fits perfectly with it's adjacent rocks. I think you need to give the space between the rocks some more depth too.

Heres and idea of that I mean:

StoneMound.jpg

Hope that helps a bit. :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm.... you are right, but i think that your pic is a little bit extreme.

What i wanted was more like a solid rock which broke apart because of weather and stuff.

But to be honest i didn´t use reference(shame on me), i just doodled around and tried something new for me.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    That's pretty good for a first attempt.

Your rock looks just a little too tame and fabricated in my opinion. I could be wrong though, you might be following your reference perfectly (assuming you are using reference). If you're not using reference try to make an interesting silhouette first and then worry about it's surface later.

Good work!
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    Pretty cool. But a bit sandy looking. Maybe greater contrast between where the stones connect?
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't enough variation in the silhouette, it looks like a block. The material is good.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool. But a bit sandy looking. Maybe greater contrast between where the stones connect?

I wanted to add some dirt inbetween the stones, because now it really looks kinda weird like they are carved in instead of broken apart.

@doeseph:
    Thx man :)
    As i said before i didn´t use any reference, but next time i will for sure :poly142:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    <edit> lulz looks like I'm repeating what everyone else is saying

They look a bit soft, I'd try sculpting individual stones, piling them up and then putting a mushy mesh inside for the dirt. Reference helps with piled stones otherwise you get into the habit of stones that look like they were cut by hand to fit together.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I like the texturing, you're getting some good results. Just like what has been mentioned above, I recommend some sharper and matted edges.