Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Tropical Island - Aztlan -

Replies

• michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    You dont need photoshop to fine tune your texture. Just make sure it looks good. Crytek used photos of gras batches/blades for example. You can see this if you look at the textures.

Finetune it with the lighting settings in material editor and mostly with shader params. You will have plenty of options there if you choose the vegetation shader. :)

You can do magic to every material with a good setup in the material editor. ;)
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Just up the saturation in photoshop, doing it in the material editor (shader) is going to be more expensive and just be doing more mathops per-pixel. Also, don't bother with a normalmap/spec, it's not needed.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you working any with TOD setting or are you primarily into asset creation and not necessarily into level design?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am tryng to make the whole ambient look coherent and realistic , possibly , so also TOD , not only assets etc I want to make the island look realistic ....

SO far I made 10 different types of grass , but seems the tech behind the crysis grass is like an old game and adding other kind of maps is useless , so I decided ot make thinner leaves so far the only problem is now about how it blends with terrain and how it looks desaturated and light the texture when I activate use terrain colour , even increasing a lot the saturation and lowering a lot the lightness of the texture didn't work much but as far as I can see also in crysis the textures look slightly light and desaturated , may be there isn't much to do about it?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is a Preview of my new Custom made Textures for my island , just some , and I am not sure if are all final , but I took lot of time to make and fine tune to have good smooth transitions and a good close distance look , all textures are 2048x2048 , most include parallax mapping and specular mapping ,

the whole list of textures is :

Cliff 3d Distant
    Cliff 3d Close 1
    Cliff 3d Close 2
    Coral 3d
    Grass
    Ground Pebbles
    Ground Stones
    Ground Dirt
    Rainforest Fresh
    Rainforest Dry
    Sand Wet
    Sand Messy
    Sand Grassy
    Sand Underwater

There is still one slot for a 15th texture if I am not wrong and I am undecided if to use for the following :

1 Grass long
    2 Grass Dry
    3 Mud
    4 Small Pebbles
    5 Ruins pavement
    5 Rock

Any suggestions and critiques are very welcome ....

textureset.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here some more bushes ...

bushes.jpg
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really inspiring work, I love it!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I think This needed a thread apart couse I cant fix the problem of the voxels not keeping their materials , hereis a cave texture I made for it , but I had to use a terrain texture slot , that of course I could use for something else if voxels could use extra materials that arent just for terrains , so my questions are two :

1 Hw I make the materials stick to the voxels and stay on them even after reloading?
    2 Do I need to use only terrain texxtures for texturing voxels or I can use other extra materials and if so how ?

Wip on Cave Textures ....

cavernad.jpg

I am wondering how do I change the colors on the voxels ? Also how do I do to make stick the textures on the voxels ? it's weird couse after I generated textures the voxel textures inside the cave are kept but the ones out on the other rock voxels are not ...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here I made some experimentation to test the FPS ... here you can read the stats , what's the maximum I should Aim for ?

riverside.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    You should not aim for maximum, but a minimum. A minimum of 30, i'd say :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    crap... replying from a page back....talking about blurring mip-maps

if you really want to go fancy pants, dont blur your lower mips, but use the heal tool to paint out low frequency detail (like the slightly darker patch in the grass) on a copy of your texture, generate the mip for both then blend the more unique texture (worse for tiling) into the say top 2 or three mips, this means you dont get the tiling in the distance but you still get the rougher shapes up close
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ah this is looking pretty awesome
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is a Work in progresss on my Rocks , Those are Cliff Rocks , actually only 3 Rocks ....Rotated and placed in different positions .... polycount is around 1000 polys per rock so may be I can make a lod level at 500 ? Worth it or not?

Also I used a tiling of the texture with smart seams positioning on the rock , instead than go with a specific bake on the texture couse this allows me for a higher resolution map to be displayed on the rock , while a baked one would be only the size of the texture ....

Question :

lod level at 500 ? Worth it or not?

If I make two materials completely identical but one has a tiling of 1 and one of 3 do they have a different load for the engine or considers them the same?
    In that case is better to tile the texture on the model and leave one material at 1 or instead tile it in the material so that eventually I can also have different sizes of the rocks according to the dimensions I chose for it I can use different tiled materials of the same type to keep coherence in the texture detail ....

[img]Here is a Work in progresss on my Rocks , Those are Cliff Rocks , actually only 3 Rocks ....Rotated and placed in different positions .... polycount is around 1000 polys per rock so may be I can make a lod level at 500 ? Worth it or not? Also I used a tiling of the texture with smart seams positioning on the rock , instead than go with a specific bake on the texture couse this allows me for a higher resolution map to be displayed on the rock , while a baked one would be only the size of the texture .... Question : 1 lod level at 500 ? Worth it or not? 2 If I make two materials completely identical but one has a tiling of 1 and one of 3 do they have a different load for the engine or considers them the same? In that case is better to tile the texture on the model and leave one material at 1 or instead tile it in the material so that eventually I can also have different sizes of the rocks according to the dimensions I chose for it I can use different tiled materials of the same type to keep coherence in the texture detail .... 3 Can I add any occluder inside the rocks ? In that case can I use any different shaped occluder apart from a cube or plane or primitive inside the rock hidden ? This to save further renderings in the layout of the island when I place them ....[/img]rocksm.jpgrocksz.jpg
    rocksm.jpg
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lod level at 500 ? Worth it or not?
    Its always worth. You'll have a good amount of rocks on screen so you can save polies. Not only geometry but also shadows.

Can I add any occluder inside the rocks ?
    Definitly. Use a basic shape. You'll get a good fps boost with them too. Crytek did also Occuders for their rocks. Maybe you take a look how they did it.
    Rule of thumb is to have between 10-20 polies for the occluder.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Do u have any clue or link to how they did for their rocks?
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just use the debug commands in-game and research a bit. :)
    Debugging
    * e_cbuffer_draw_occluders 1 : debug draw of occluders in coverage buffer.

* e_debug_draw 11: Render occlusion geometry additionally
    * e_debug_draw 12: Render occlusion geometry without render geometry
    * e_debug_draw 13: Render occlusion ammount (used during AO computations)
    (source: http://doc.crymod.com/AssetCreation/OcclusionProxy.html)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    michi.be wrote: »
    Its always worth. You'll have a good amount of rocks on screen so you can save polies. Not only geometry but also shadows.

Definitly. Use a basic shape. You'll get a good fps boost with them too. Crytek did also Occuders for their rocks. Maybe you take a look how they did it.
    Rule of thumb is to have between 10-20 polies for the occluder.

by basic shape you mean that I need to use specifically primitives or that I can use also a shape that barely resemples the rock so custom ?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    beautiful! i love what you did with the brushes.
    (http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7770/textureset.jpg)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou , here is the fourth rock shape added , this can't be much rotated etc , also is much higher polygonal but since I have to represent a spiky ground close to rockyshores I guess it's ok , I will lower it with more lods , since the spikes aren't visible by faraway ....
    Is credible or may be I need to tune it better somehow?

rockyreef1.jpg

rockyreef2.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    A wip on My new River Rocks , for those I went instead than a tiled image to a perfectly seamed texture , since the size is smaller and I do not need all this detail spread like for the big cliffs , I am making around 5 stones that rotated can get like 10 , My fear is that for those I will need probably 5 different materials , I hope it won't be an issue tough ...beeing them smaller or anyway the size comparable to an avatar are more or less as poly as the big cliffs but beeing smaller look more detailed and smooth in some parts will have as well lods ....

My work is now on making a seamless normal map , wich doesn't seems a simple task , for me at least , then tune the wet , and dry areas of the stones ...

planning also some other texture variations , using the same shape like for mossy rocks or beach rocks with algae etc....

riverrocks.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome as always .....
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I like what I'm seeing here! :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Some work on the Cliffs , I am not sure if look good , I used 5 kind of different cliffs with different resolution level ...

Far , far , middle , middle , closer

Wich are like Rocks , rock blocks , striated blocks , sediments and jungle covers...

bmlasarenasprotoisland.jpg

bmlasarenascliffs.jpgbmlasarenasshore.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this is lookin REALLY good. my only crit is it needs more tree variation
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I like your work so far. I would recommend giving your bushes more branch structure though. So far it looks like you're just clumping leaves together.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is a Plan idea for the Island ....

lasarenasmap.jpg
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    You really need more Tree variations. Just palms looks boring and unnaturalistic. Else... looks great!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I know I am making many more trees even some of the palms are placeholders , just wanted tohave a feel of the whole picture a bit more ....
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    You've done a great job. Very nice. Getting a Lost vibe when I look at the picture above. But I like Lost so thats a good thing imo :) Looking foward to see the rest.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou , Lost is also what I am trying to get to with the feel , that's why I plan also to make a ancient Ruin in center of the Island ,Sort of like the Anghkor Vat Ruins with roots craking the same structures and overgrown jungle all around ....
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all fantastic work, you've done a great job. It's awesome how faithfully you've reproduced everything at the Crysis standard for visuals.

For some critique..I think the feel is too close to how Crysis feels (if that's what you're going for though, disregard this). Even though all the assets are custom now, they look too similar to the style of art Crysis conveyed. Good thing you're making more trees, and I'd also recommend lowering the saturation for some of your vegetation. Also, make some jungle vegetation that Crysis didn't have - do that, and this will really begin to come into its own. I would also recommend contacting Xzero on crymod; he has some amazing custom shaders which brings CE2 functionality closer to CE3 in terms of visual fidelity.

I work with Sandbox 2 as well, and also make custom vegetation and models - so send me a PM sometime and we can share information.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    sure thanks a lot , I am a newbie and I am learning ,and eventually see if , even if I am all selftought and without any bachelor orother degrees in arts or graphic stuff m I could eventually reach the pro levels and even one day propose myself as level designer :) .... that's the reason why I am almoust looking at the Crysis things as the way to go , mostly couse they look good , are professional and are adapt for the game engine , tought if I can find even better I would also jump on those for learning and imitation ,I am basically mimicizing most of the basical plant assets for Crysis but I will have to make also some special ones that stand out of and Crysis didnt make like Roots , lianas and banyan trees , I was looking to reproduce actually this kind of vegetation set:...

In order to have some Coherent organization of the Island Biomes I will sectorize areas of Vegetation:

Beachs shore:

Random palm trees and bushes
    hibiscus bushes
    small bushes
    scattered small grass in the backside
    scattered shells
    scattered sea elements
    scattered decals
    scattered tree trunks and stones

Prairie

Dense grass , tall and Short
    Scattered large bushes and small bushes
    Random no leaves bushes
    Scattered trunks and stones
    Rare Flower bushes

Palms forest

Scattered Coconut Palms from bushes to all types of shapes
    Clustered Hibiscus bushes
    Clustered small and large bushes
    Scattered trunks and stones
    Scattered Dead leaves
    Scattered Fan Palm trees
    Scattered Small tree bushes of hibiscus
    Scattered Banano Tree ( Musacea) and bushes
    Rare flower bushes
    random cycad plants
    Rare ferns ( small )

Jungle
    random Coconut palms
    Scattered Ferns
    Scattered Cycads
    Rare flower bushes
    Scattered Dead Leaves
    Scattered Stones
    Scattered trunks and Dead trunks
    Scattered Banano trees ( larger )
    Random Fan palms
    scattered rubber tree
    small Durian trees
    Small kapok trees
    Small Tualang

Rainforest
    Jungle will be also the base of the

Emergents

Durian trees
    kapok trees
    Tualang
    Banyan

Canopy

As for the Jungle
    Lianas
    Understorey

As for jungle but bush level and also Aracacee and large leaves plants

Forest Floor

Mostly stones , scattered leaves , Dead Trunks , Dead plants , Rocks etc...

Cliffs

Hanging Bushes , Hanging Trees , Roots, Distant layers for Cliffs?( to be tested)

Rocky

Scattered Grass , Scattered Rocks and Pebbles

River and LAke Sides

According to the bordering biome plus
    Side tall leaves plants
    Emergent plants
    Floating plants

Underwater

Sea Algae
    Fresh water Algae
    Corals of al lkinds
    Rocky coral formations
    The problems I am having are mostly two ,

1 reproduce a decent shape for bushes and plants tha tdo not look like offering the "cut or planes " look , the Crysis ones are well done and do not offer that much unless you get really close , the second problem is that my whole island needs to be detailed and with many things over so there is a big problem of layouting , in Crysis they solved this sectorizing a lot the ambients , but I cant and I need ot make a whole ambient so I am also making lods on all plants and items and I rarely go beyond the 2k polygons per item ...

Thanks for your support and appreciations for any suggestion or other samples I am all ears :) ....

Edit : about Saturation , I know that desat stuff usually look more real and I go for this , tough I have noticed that some pictures of RL jungles or tropical forests , and actually even having traveled there , the plants are incredibly brilliant and saturated at midday and become seems less at other hours of the day , but still are more brilliant than tought usually or seen in games or the like ... I think much depends on the illumination but I haven't yet been able to find a decent TOD for this Island ....
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean triangles right? 2k triangles per item? xD

Anyways, I try to shoot for a little less - while also maintaining visual fidelity. The end result has been custom scenes that perform great while looking like many more triangles were used. My motto with game environments is to create more with less; do more with less.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1156/latestfirs26.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6827/latestfirs25.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8917/latestfirs24.jpg

Image showing tri counts for the trees:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/135/firtreestricounts.jpg

You are looking to become more of an environment artist than a level designer - level designers script level events, help out with the controls and base gameplay.. etc. It's just important to be specific with what exactly you're trying to get into. :)

I am in the same position as you - self-taught, love the innovation in CE2 and SB2, and am trying to bring my environment artistic skills to a level that will get me a job in the industry.

Anyways, yeah you are probably right about the saturation, but you need to find some way to have the vegetation look more varied in terms of color/tone. Perhaps holes or rips in some leaves, some dead parts of the vegetation... just these two things add so much to vegetation.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome trees models :) ... Actually I said 2000 k tris as a max ,but I am usually much under this , like 300 or few more , just for the rocks I hit I think 1500 or around that and with lods like 1500 , 1000 , 600 , 300 polys , I have been told that goind under this number in cryengine is useless since the game would spend more resources than gaining for loading a further lod under 300 polys ....

I am actually taking RL pictures , dissect leaves and paint out branches , then put into position leaves ramdomly on the branches alternating yellow , dark , and colored ones on the overall branch , but ingame they all sort of look merged together as color , Its not usually like I expect it to be like .....

Edit2:

Actually the specular map in this image is not the right one for this plant but its similar , that's from another plant ...
    Here an example of the tree and bushes I am working on right now and the look ingame and on texture ....

I try to add those yellow , brown , green leaves alternation altough I am seeing that even when I go out to get pictures I find out that 90% of the leaves are all green ....

piantaq.jpg

Lods Like 1300 , 650 , 325 tris .
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can help you out with what I've learned about adjusting vegetation materials to make vegetation look as good as possible. My game development interests started with ToD modding as well; I am known as UltimaRage throughout the Crysis community.

1300 seems like a little much for that bush - try bringing it down to 700 tris while keeping that thick, full look. If you can, bring it down even further. Also, setup draw distances for smaller foliage like this, so you can't see it super far away. 4 million tris in a scene at once is waaaay too much - aim for 2 million tris; MAX.

Additionally, watch those draw calls. Do everything you can to lower draw calls, as they can bring down performance more than an excessive amount of tris can.

LoD's aren't recommended for most vegetation models. I don't have any LoD's for any of my vegetation models, yet the scenes I showed you all perform at 40 FPS and top out at 1.2 million tris or a little more.

That's why you should go for the lowest counts you can while still maintaining that next-gen look - vegetation fills the screen, so that many LoD transitions at once really brings down performance.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    RexM wrote: »
    I can help you out with what I've learned about adjusting vegetation materials to make vegetation look as good as possible. My game development interests started with ToD modding as well; I am known as UltimaRage throughout the Crysis community.

1300 seems like a little much for that bush - try bringing it down to 700 tris while keeping that thick, full look. If you can, bring it down even further. Also, setup draw distances for smaller foliage like this, so you can't see it super far away. 4 million tris in a scene at once is waaaay too much - aim for 2 million tris; MAX.

Additionally, watch those draw calls. Do everything you can to lower draw calls, as they can bring down performance more than an excessive amount of tris can.

I saw that also a similar Crysis bush has this same number , actually bit over that in tris , but what u mean by draw calls and where I look for those stats like total tris etc?

Also I can't get really " the feel of what's wrong in this bush look , may be maps ? I edited the post above to show , or shape , how to arrange the planes is a pain ... I dont like when I see the cut edge look ingame but I can't see it in max...
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, but the vegetation models in Crysis are badly optimized. Aim for the Crysis look without the Crysis' waste of tris.

Also, Draw Calls is displayed as DP: 2038 (or some other 4 digit number) when r_displayinfo is enabled.

Yes, arranging the planes is definitely a pain, but finding the best way to balance visuals and performance is rewarding. I continually think about optimization when I first create any model - saves time over finishing a model and going to optimize it later.

Try to add some dead leaves to that bush. Not a lot, but make like 10-15 leaves on that diffuse dead, then 10-15 alive leaves with holes and tears. It'll add so much to your bush; you will be amazed. Also, start painting the lighting on the diffuse using the dodge and burn tools in photoshop. Where the texture is most likely to be in the shadows, darken that area - so when you get to a distance to where shadows are not rendered, you still have a darkening effect on the vegetation. Greatly enhances realism all around.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I ll try to add those right now , let's see what happens...:\
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok here is an update on the texture / material , I also removed the detail bump mappign , was causing some weird border artefacts....

I tried to add some highlights with the darkening brush on some leaves , added more sat on the "brown" leaves desat the rest ,

piantafw.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Another update , remade the normal giving more enphasis to the light details and lowering the larrge ones that made sort of bumpy leaves , desaturated a lot the texture , remade the model .... how's looking now?

piantaj.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, but to me it's still very visible that the bush is made of multiple foliage planes, but you said you were trying to avoid that feel on your vegetation. Or maybe it's just the angle the picture is taken from, sometimes foliage looks correct from certain angles and not from others.

And it's maybe a detail now but I think the dead leafs are too much saturated imho. When the leaf is dead, it turns into grey-brown.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I can fix the leaves but I dunno how to fix that planes effect :( ...
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just look at how Crytek arranged their planes more on their bushes. Look at any game with good vegetation and see what they did.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    that's what I am doing but at the best they seem to be arranged casually ....
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah.. it really does take quite a bit of trial and error to find out how to truly get assortments of planes to look good from all angles. Work with it more; the only real thing that will get you the desired results is just experimentation.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    THAT'S ACTUALLY THE TREE...

pianta.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    lookin good! nice tree. but the grass aint too great. looks too noisy.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    In Meanwhile here is a First very wip Kapok Giant Tree , the surrounding vegetation is not final and is provisorial , the Kapok tree is still missing tuning like better arrangement of canopy , better optimizations , ivy , relief maps etc....

but more or less the texture for leaves is done and I think also the trunk now is ok as texture and shape ....

kapoktreetestwip.jpg
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... in the second image, the arrangement of the planes looks odd to me? Could you show us a wire perhaps?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry for the Delay , the Arrangement there was odd couse was just a fast arrangement to test ingame the lightning and density of the texture and resulted to be enough scattered to not look like square panels at least I think so .... here is the arrangement of the new canopy that I am making , is done , the totalpolycount of this tree is like 2230 polys ...

wirekapok.jpg

May be is too much but this tree is also the main Rainforest big tree , is tall 40 m and the canopy is so wide that I can't find out another way to reduce it without making look bad a tiled image .... I have scaled also the planes and textue to look proportional to a human size , comparing the leaves sizes and the hand of the reference model each branch has a range of 300 to 500 polys each and are around 4 main branches and some top canopy ....

What you think ? is it too much or is it ok ? I will make lods of course....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is how it looks ingame and I honestly expected a better result , this is not good at allat my opinion , now I am wondering what I am doing wrong?
    the overall canopy looks a bit scarce , but its already 2200 polys how I can do to increase the density but not the polycount? plus I have used simple romboid squares for the planes to save tris and so I didnt bend into more angles the single leaves and so there is this visible squarish thing ngame , how to solve that too?

35125389.jpg