Home General Discussion

Pimping and Previews/ Finished work.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    EQ - nothings stopping us from having those types of threads within the sub-forums?

Well its a matter of information reaching the greatest possible audience. Say you have a *mostly* max issue, you post it in the max sub-forum, this thread branches out to cover a variety of related topics(ie: happens very often) but this information is hidden inside of a sub-forum that only a % of people check.

So what on the surface seems like cleaning up, actually makes things less accessible and potentially more messy.

Clearly this is something that we would have to try out to see exactly how it flows, but i can see a lot of issues like "oh where does this go, it doesnt quite fit in any *one* of these sub-forums", and just a lot of people missing cool threads.

Maybe simply stricter thread naming being enforced in tech talk, or possibly a tagging system(so you could just look at the max threads, *if you wanted to*). I think a tag system may be more robust, because then you could say, i want all threads taged with max, normal maps, ue3, and it would be much easier to find specific information, especially when many topics will span the range of various sub-forums.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To clarify:

Technical Talk = place for app specific help, learning, points, etc.

Technical Talk sub-forums = place for engine specific help, learning, points, etc.

WAYWO = not changing, for now.

P&P = pretty well not changing, hopefully I can get the image preview thingamajig to work. (Firefox says thingamajig is word, awesome).

bloggy posts = off-topic shit that no artist is going to benefit from, no matter how much you think they might, will likely a.) not be touched by us and die off all on its own b.) moved to the 'Thread of Awesomeness' or c.) in very rare cases end up being moderated out. This has *HARDLY* happened since bearkub made his post so nothing is changing with this. We just ask that you ask yourself how the other members of this community are benefiting from your thread.

ok, phew. Good discussion everyone. 7 pages in nearly 2 days!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: Balance is good, however it becomes an issue when we've got more random/offtopic/lol/blog type posts than we do real posts with actual content and relevant discussion, then it becomes a problem. I dont think anyone is saying that we need to police every single thread and kill every off topic post, just that we're going to be putting some more effort in keeping it more on topic in general, and getting rid of threads that contribute absolutely nothing.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    oh yeah, cause it's web 2.0 now - the whole site has to to be made in flash and feature heaps of lens flare.......with sub-forums
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    remove the whole p&p boards and just leave the stickied threads in there. who needs all those wip threads anyway.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry I made it to the 5th page before I realized I was neglecting work. :)
    I'm sure this will all get sorted out but I just want to add, as an artist who doesn't have a lot of time to finish work, I tend to experiment and "3d sketch" these days. For me, it's often more about the idea than a final piece of art. WAYWO gives me a chance to throw that stuff out there for people to see without the pressure of starting a full thread on something that I will most likely never finish. Additionally, WAYWO is a quick brows of what is going on in our community. Looking through individual threads is a commitment and time sync I rarely have these days (unfortunately).

- BoBo