Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M4A1 Carbine W.I.P

Replies

• Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    We're supposed to judge proportions from screenshots of the USER viewport? Use Perspective man =\ I sense facepalm gifs incoming.

e/ your barrel length is outrageously long considering how short your foregrip is. That just looks all kinds of wrong :s

They are perspective angles with a user view grab of the poly count. But for you I will grab a side few more angles for you. There is no foregrip on it right now. Just the Omega rail system which is designed primarily for verticle foregrip attatchments. Holding it there without the 2 attatchment guardplates would hurt.

How are you making the Textures? are you baking piece by piece and then texturing them? its not easier to Bake everything and when your normals and AO maps are perfect texture the whole thing?

I baked most all of the ao and the normal map already I just tweak them as I go rather then get them super perfect and then move to colors.

sometexturework2.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    michael%20jackson%20gif.gif

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
    AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    is that texture for real?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    kitteh... really? How is that in any way constructive.

Let's not just be dicks to be dicks ok. Crit away yes but i feel a lot of this backlash is coming from posts made earlier in this thread.

Let us get back on track.

Ryan... paint the textures dude. Make em look hot.

Actually bake out the full AO and normal map and get us a screen grab of the normals and ao (multiplied over a 50% gray as diffuse).

That way we can see if you got any issues with the normals and fix them as we move along.

Then we texture :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Textures? bwah, thats just details, don't let the pro's get to you, it's fine as it is, regular people aren't going to notice the textures anyway.

Ok, serious time,

One thing I noticed, it seems you baked the ambient occlusion with an "exploded" model, so that every part was far away from eachother, you'll miss out on alot of AO between pieces if you do it that way.

It looks like you might have ended up with some baking artifacts too, it's nothing severe but there's some hinting of it, but it's hard to see with the little you've shown of the baked result so far.

You should be focusing on creating believable materials as a basis to build the texture on, before you end up pasting text on it, start with base colours, base materials, then work yourself up, dont get stuck on areas.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Ryan... paint the textures dude.

...or go back and fix the obvious, basic proportion issues first. Look specifically at the pistol grip and magazine.

proportions.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The whole gun looks like it's squashed lengthwise, actually
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    I´m still giggling about all the arguementation here...
    Why are you feeding someone who´s obviously a troll??

Then all the nice arguements about realism and artistic freedom.. yay..
    It´s always funny to see THOSE people who scream correct your anatomy are, when it comes to hardsurface modeling say its artistic freedom.

srsly...
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Kitteh wrote: »
    The whole gun looks like it's squashed lengthwise, actually

Look at the comparison lines, the receiver is fine. Everything else though ...
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Its stretched vertically tho...
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Half the thread still wants to go back and fix proportions, the other half wants to move on. Wheres that popcorn gif again?