Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Avatar

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ralusek polycounter lvl 10
Ok, so I just made this avatar. I think it's cool, and I didn't even know if it would work, but it ended up being a more interesting experience than i anticipated.
animatede.gif

I'm sure there are infinite variations on this method to make it, but i thought mine was kind of ridiculous and time consuming, and at the very least you would be entertained by the struggle this caused me.

So, making a flat image (the logo, head on) actually serve as the round edge for the same image (once it turned 90 degrees) was something i hadn't done before. so i thought for a second how i'd go about doing this, and decided that it was indeed possible. i then decided i'd model the eyes and mouth as actual geometry instead of just texturing them. this was something i also realized would consume the majority of the time making this.

So, to achieve the exact same curve on the side of the logo as i would get once the side itself was turned...and acting as a profile, i decided i would do it using coordinates. So I modeled it head on first, roughly, like this:
logo1gf.jpg
What I would then do, is take the vertices along the right edge, copy their X coordinates, and apply them to the Y axis for all of the vertices on the same horizontal line. I did this so when the face turns, they would form the same curve for the side view. Makes enough sense. This took a long time...
It also only works assuming there is no vertical movement along any of the lines.
logo2ffo.jpg

Like i said, this was a ridiculous project, and it seems like something a high kid would do. I am afraid i might disappoint in confessing this was done sober, albeit retardedly late last night.

So, to then model the eyes, i connected the eyes to the opposite side to make cylinders, took these out, and thankfully enough was able to get a boolean difference with not too much cleanup. moved cylinders back into head.
For the mouth, i connected the bottom semicircle, also removed it, and got another fairly successful boolean with little cleanup. for the teeth, no such luck. it would have been very easy to just make the teeth short, but for the sake of wasting time, i decided to make them go all the way through the face. This obviously means that they would block the side-view without some more cleanup. however, no such luck with the booleans here, so i did it manually.
this is what the teeth actually look like to work:
logokai.jpg
and for eyes/mouth:
logo3v.jpg

so ya, a lot more of a pain than i expected, but i thought it was a hilariously long process for this little dumb .gif. and the best part is, i could have just textured it, for the purposes of that avatar, you can't even tell that the mouth and eyes are actual geometry.

Replies