Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[low-poly, WIP] Simple placeholder scene for my website

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
9skulls polycounter lvl 13
Thought this might get a bit too big for the low poly thread :/

subwip.jpg

Just a simple placeholder scene for my website. It's still a wip and I'll be adding more objects to the scene later on and maybe update the composition also.

I made a simple flash test and set it as a placeholder for my website (untill I actually get my website up and running).

I know the flash has currently lots of room for improvement, and some updates will follow:
- Proper preloader since the animation is big enough (1,5 Mb)
- Make the animation dynamic so that sertain pieces are in their own movieclips so that I can loop them better and decrease the file size...
- ... and randomize the dj's moves
- MAYBE add a warning message saying that the animation actually contains some BOOM-BOOM-sounds. Maybe.

Don't take it too seriously though. C&C is always recommended :poly142:

See it live here: http://www.white-isle.net

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ahahahah! super!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Love it. Would be cool if you hade some cables on the floor that was bounching to the music.
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think the spray cans should vibrate up and down rather than wobble to the bass.
    Very cool work here, keep it up!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Haha dude! That is so fucking rad. I second the suggestion for vertical movement of the paint cans. Have 'em jump a tad with the beat. Slightly more niggly: how hard would it be to have the animation match up with the beat? It's distracting to see the speakers pounding at a different tempo to the audio track.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    LOL - didn't read the post fully so was pleasantly surprised when it was animated with sound.

More minor crits :

#1 - The falloff on the floor shadows gets clipped by the edges the movie rectangle so the illusion of the speakers and decks being sat in a larger background is lost slightly.

#2 Speed up the outgoing animation of the speaker cone, so it flies out almost instantaneously, but goes back at its current speed.

#3 As mentioned, if you can get the music synced with the animation that'd be ace.

#4 Maybe make the records more obvious, some bright coloured slip-maps, the table a different colour and some more prominent grooves perhaps.

#5 - Don't forget the player heads on the decks - can't make sound without a needle - and something more to animate (bobbing and weaving across the record surface)

#6 - Would be good to have the robot/alien/gasmask dude with some headphones - doing that thing DJ's do one wearing just one ear as a monitor for mixing.

oohh..

#7 - Another tiny one, make the nozzles of the spray-cans white, as they're small they need to be iconic- and it took me a while to figure out what they were, a white top with a black dot for the spray hole would make it easier to read as a spray can. I thought they were energy drinks at first.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duddde that is AWESOME on your site lol
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crits & Answers :)

C: Needs moar cables and stuff lying on the ground, vibrating by the tune
    A: Will do. As I said in my first post I'll be adding stuff and do some tweaking with the existing ones. Gotta be careful though so the scene won't get too busy.

C: Cans JUMP, not play CHOCOLATE TRAIN!
    A: I did try to make some of the cans jump up 'n' down a little but it ended looking pretty.. poor, so I left it away. I will however try that again with better patience next time :P
    JohnnySix wrote: »
    LOL - didn't read the post fully so was pleasantly surprised when it was animated with sound.
    Hope your brain didn't hurt :F

#1 - The falloff on the floor shadows gets clipped by the edges the movie rectangle so the illusion of the speakers and decks being sat in a larger background is lost slightly.
    I know, the current animation was rushed a bit and will fix it for the next update.

#2 Speed up the outgoing animation of the speaker cone, so it flies out almost instantaneously, but goes back at its current speed.
    Also did that at the beginning, but I though it'd look a bit nicer like this :P I will experiment on that anyways.
    #3 As mentioned, if you can get the music synced with the animation that'd be ace.
    That will take some tweking but I guess it can be done :P
    #4 Maybe make the records more obvious, some bright coloured slip-maps, the table a different colour and some more prominent grooves perhaps.
    The biggest reason ATM why the deck is a bit messy is because of the lame image compression, so I'm sure there will be alot to be done.
    #5 - Don't forget the player heads on the decks - can't make sound without a needle - and something more to animate (bobbing and weaving across the record surface)
    I remembered the needle when I was already rendering, and I was too tired to make it to this release.. xP Next time!
    #6 - Would be good to have the robot/alien/gasmask dude with some headphones - doing that thing DJ's do one wearing just one ear as a monitor for mixing.
    I'll put this to the laziness-category aswell, though I reckon that a DJ without his headphones is like USA without Iraq :f

oohh..
    Wha.. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Nc8RCLy1s[/ame] O_O

#7 - Another tiny one, make the nozzles of the spray-cans white, as they're small they need to be iconic- and it took me a while to figure out what they were, a white top with a black dot for the spray hole would make it easier to read as a spray can. I thought they were energy drinks at first.
    Oo good idea, I will change that too!

Thanks for all the C&C so far!

[ edit ] Hmms weird, does anyone have this "huge-white-block-at-the-bottom-left-corner-of-the-page" -bug? :F
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    He man has a huge white block in his pants. I'm shocked and traumatised! :poly127:

You on FF or something else? On FF but get no right hand corner thing, except the emotes next to the WYSIWYG box?
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little progress update to show what I'm working on:

> Reworked dj-deck: the table is now slightly curved around the dj. Needles added
    > Reworked the wires: the larger ones in the front will move in a "wavely" manner
    > Reworked the can animations: will now jump slightly
    > Added the headphones
    > Added a huge wobbly wind cactus in the background

> None of the updated things is textured yet. UVW-mapping is done though.

No moving parts this time, only a crappy screenie :/
    subwip2.jpg
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update to prove (to myself) that this project ain't dead yet :f Check it online > [ click here ]

Filesize of the animation is ~1400Kb, which I think is a bit large, especially when it's still lacking a preloader. Oh well. Next time then.

(bgm is from awesome ocremix.org. I'll add proper copyright info for the next update. I changed the bgm because the current song complex enough so that no one will check if the beat will actually match with the animation :>)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow that's pretty awesome :D. a fucking sad cactus in the background :P. Great stuff man!
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    wow that's pretty awesome :D. a fucking sad cactus in the background :P. Great stuff man!
    Yeah it's a bit emo for some reason :P
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! is all i can say.

Maybe don't have the cables tied together - thats how it appears right now i think.

Add some colour to them cables, like you did in your first picture, - brings in a wider variety of colour and livens the scene up a bit.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    LOL awesome- 1 thing, the green on the green on the guys head blends into the green on the cactus too much, and since cactus's are green by nature, maybe consider a different color for the head?
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Music is alot better !
    very cool i like it alot
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looks cool man, how did you make the cactus all wobly, some sort of softbody?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool, at first I thought that was the motorcylce music from FF7 but the beat is too much for that, dig the animations.
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaaay better now. Keep it up!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    That cactus is tripping balls. :D Love it!
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, I got to say that it seems like you're spending more time on the placeholder for your site than your actual site.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! is all i can say.

Maybe don't have the cables tied together - thats how it appears right now i think.

Add some colour to them cables, like you did in your first picture, - brings in a wider variety of colour and livens the scene up a bit.
    Thanks! I will modify the cables yet again :P I had a vision in my mind that it'd look so wickedly awesome to have some wires that have HORIZONTAL lines on them, and then they'd glow in blue and stuff.. But then reality struck and I noticed it didn't work at all :poly142: I went and desaturated the blue-ish glow to grey, and for the next update I'll just change the rest of the cables...
    konstruct wrote: »
    LOL awesome- 1 thing, the green on the green on the guys head blends into the green on the cactus too much, and since cactus's are green by nature, maybe consider a different color for the head?
    I wanted to keep the color-scheme as simple as it'd get, but failed to see such error in it :F I'll see to that aswell!
    MikeF wrote: »
    looks cool man, how did you make the cactus all wobly, some sort of softbody?
    FFD & Noise, my friend. FFD & Noise.

(.. I did try go the fancy Reactor-way, using cloth and wind, but apparently some sort of witchcraft kept me from getting that cloth light enough to wobble in the wind. And I couldn't even get that wind blow any other direction than horizontal, HA. I'm a noob and I should crawl back to my 8bit cave :()
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Pretty cool, at first I thought that was the motorcylce music from FF7 but the beat is too much for that, dig the animations.
    oh but it IS the Crazy Motorcycle song ;O Just a bit better version though, a remix from OcRemix.org. You should check it out (though I'm sure everyone knows that site already. At least they SHOULD). I added a small info-bubble to my site already telling about this.

@Soft_Hands Thx!

@LoTekK Sure is :poly142:
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoChance wrote: »
    Lol, I got to say that it seems like you're spending more time on the placeholder for your site than your actual site.
    Yeah, priorities... not my speciality :(

Minor update:
    + Cables
    + Preloader (finally!)