Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard inspired marine

Replies

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! As for worrying about anatomy underneath, its something that you just dont worry about I guess, I have seen far worse! like this : http://www.plasticwax.com/gallery3/gallery.html

check the space marine (middle bottom pic) and see how the anatomy of that fella would work?
  • achillesian
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Gotta agree with the crits against the camo texture. You had a great "asian flare" going, fitting for starcraft, and now all i can think of is western military considering the wars being fought right now and where you would use that camo.

The dude's wide mouth is still buggin' me big time, would be easy to adjust. Just a soft select on a mirrored section on his mouth and scale them in.

Maybe you can draw some inspiration from this concept. Haven't seen this style in 3d and it's straight from blizzard:
    Ghost_SC2_Cncpt1.jpg
    obviously this is a ghost, not a marine, but just ignore that ;)
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the army paint more and more. i personally feel that the blobular shapes of the paint takes form the shapes you done so well. Maybe a flat paint job with a couple decals here in there would not only show off the wear and tear a lot better but also your marines robot parts. I feel if you wanted to have a different paint scheme than that of the starcraft blue, i would go with an evil paint scheme ( im a sucker for blacks greys with red glows ). In the end maybe a flat color but with alot of damage to it would pop your character back out.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow, thats insane!
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks miki2121 ill take your suggestions into consideration, i am still playing with what i want on the diffuse so who knows. im not gonna rush it.
    thanks for defending me bigern!:)
    bad ass song achillesian !!! i lold that pic is awesome of the toss with the tshirt

thanks crazyfingers, i chose the more realistic paint job on the asian sci fi design because, to me, it grounds back to reality a bit. but im aware its a bit scattered on direction, i dont know what im gona do really im just gonna have fun with it since its personal. im gona try a few variations before i settle and move to finish

thanks skull face, i agree that texture needs alot of love if its gonna work, the camo patterns need to be better for sure.

so my friend james peterson ( http://talking-monkeys.com/ ) is animating it for me!!! hooray here is his animation so far, i like it lots!

http://www.talking-monkeys.com/renders/newwalk6.mov
  • undeadink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like that animation one thing that i think would make it better is some movement in the fingers.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    im not lovin the color pallet choice. id go for more bright colors.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Wow. You really captured that walk cycle almost perfect. The climax of each stomp is just subtle enough to make it believable. Also I'm going to have to disagree with Rooster. I like the feel you gave him, you really added something new to a piece inspired by something else, but he does have a point.

Also I think it might just be the render or the lighting, but I'm noticing some highlights popping on the upper thigh. Keep it coming, this thread is awesome.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    The designers should put a cupholder on his er...cup.

Great modeling.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    great walk cycle, main crit would be too much drop when the feet flop flat on the ground. The entire body pops down a bit too much, kinda distracting. I'd almost suspect a missing frame but it does it on both steps. Little tuning and that'll be top notch.

Can't wait till to you get the texture singing on this dude, should be a really cool walk render!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    The model is coming along great! I like the addition of the camouflage, it really helps make it more believable. I agree that the choice in camo could be better though. There are two things that I think are off with it, first of all the splotches of colour are two large creating a shape or their own that conflicts with the actual shapes modelled into the marine. Secondly the colour choice could be better. Think of the environments the space marine fights in, theres the world thats all blue, the jungle world, the charcoal world, if you make the camouflage more suited for one of these world, it'd give you a better, more sci-fi, colour palette.

Either way this is, as you said, a personal prject so do what you think is best :)