polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Really digging the initial presentation of your homepage man, very nice.

For the most part your characters are really nice, and the best one is the first one (the texture really reads nice).

My only gripe I have is in your sculpts, that fat / wrinkly guy doesn't need to be there, it seems really weak compared to your other pieces.

Nice job, and good luck!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Really digging the initial presentation of your homepage man, very nice.

For the most part your characters are really nice, and the best one is the first one (the texture really reads nice).

My only gripe I have is in your sculpts, that fat / wrinkly guy doesn't need to be there, it seems really weak compared to your other pieces.

Nice job, and good luck!

Yeah and the banner needs a better image
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like the site a lot. only thing that bothers me is the Outline you have around all the characters. seems odd.. but hey, doesn't look bad.

good job & good luck!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I like it too. Nice work. I just wanted to second the outline as well.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    awesome site, simple and showcases you're work excellently - which is great btw. I agree that the last sculpt is the weakest, but it does add some diversity which is kind of nice.

EDIT* one other thing I really enjoyed was that you had a diversity in what programs you used - which is always a plus! especially if you're as fluent as you are.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Great site, I really like your layout. Your work looks great as well. I'm not sure, but it feels like your characters proportions are a little off. The characters feel like they are a little short, giving them sort of a dwarf feel. I could be wrong though.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Looks rad, hey you should toss in your hipoly sculpts as well for that complete presentation of your works
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree about adding the high poly sculpts.

I like your work, my only concern is that your going for a character artist position so you could really use just a regular realistic person. You almost have it with the one sculpt and sci-fi dude, but it still doesn't Really show me how you can handle a full modern day human being.

I think if you could just add one full done modern day human, you would be set. Nice job with the presentation.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much guys!

@jasonLavoie - yea, I was kinda thinking he should go myself, but I wasn't sure, I am now, thanks!

@zacD - what about the image don't ya like? you think it should be a different character altogether? or is it the size or cropping that is looking weird?

@martinH - I was gonna add the highpoly stuff, but for same reason the texture flats are smaller than I would like, I'm worried about the pages taking forever to load. Did any of you guys have an issue with it moving slowly or do you think I could fit another good size image of the hp stuff on there?

@bradMeyers - funny you should say that, because my current project is a "normal" person, specifically a woman. Because my port is also devoid of females at the moment, which needs to be fixed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    WhipSwitch, Awsome work.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    thanks so much guys!
    @zacD - what about the image don't ya like? you think it should be a different character altogether? or is it the size or cropping that is looking weird?

It doesn't look as awesome or as nice as your other work.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    The work is solid, the WIPs are cool too...

My only critiques are:

The wolf-man head looks a bit weak. Kinda bleh and doesn't look like it would actually be that scary to run into... kinda reminds me of a muppet in a strange way.

The texturing is great, but some of the hair normal map stuff changes direction strangely...

other than that, no complains on the work.

The presentation is fine too, except i have to scroll sidways, which isn't immediately obvious or necessary... and makes navigation a bit difficult.

Good work though, keep it up.

Cheers,
    D
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zacD - Cool(and thanks). I'll take it to heart, but at the moment I don't have anything to really replace it with, and for variety sake, I don't want to put one of the portfolio pieces up there.

@nfrrtycmplx - you have to scroll sideways?!? that's a first. I thought I'd kept everything vertically oriented enough to avoid that. The div is supposed to center in the browser window. In all my testing it worked fine. Mind if I ask you want browser/resolution you are using? I might have miscalculated the dimensions, and/or screwed up the code somewhere...

About the wolf, he is still in the default pose and i modeled him expressionless with the intention of having a basic facial rig( never happened :) ), and the fur does have issues in places, lesson learned. Thanks for the feedback. I really have been wanting to render a pose tho, so I think maybe I'll go back and work on that. or even just fudge it and pose him in zbrush, for the sake of not having something not so static...

thanks again guys.
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed with the previous comments.

Also, "Untitled Document" in the browser header is a classic school boy error. At least just copy and paste what you have for you index page.

And I'm pretty sure studios like to see larger maps. You could have a click to enlarge on the maps below each of your characters.

Other then that, it's a good first portfolio site. Simple efficient layout etc. Well done.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    u got some pretty impressive stuff in there!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @zacD - Cool(and thanks). I'll take it to heart, but at the moment I don't have anything to really replace it with, and for variety sake, I don't want to put one of the portfolio pieces up there.

You could probably get way with posting one of your best/wips that isn't on the main page.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18

@nfrrtycmplx - you have to scroll sideways?!? that's a first. I thought I'd kept everything vertically oriented enough to avoid that. The div is supposed to center in the browser window. In all my testing it worked fine. Mind if I ask you want browser/resolution you are using? I might have miscalculated the dimensions, and/or screwed up the code somewhere...

About the wolf, he is still in the default pose and i modeled him expressionless with the intention of having a basic facial rig( never happened :) ), and the fur does have issues in places, lesson learned. Thanks for the feedback. I really have been wanting to render a pose tho, so I think maybe I'll go back and work on that. or even just fudge it and pose him in zbrush, for the sake of not having something not so static...

thanks again guys.

Internet Explorer - 1280 x 800 - laptop.

Dunno, I usually make sure everything is just nicely stacked and fits in a 1024 x 768 space..

And/or is scalabe...

my website sucks, so don't look at it for an example of what i'm talkin about...

but yeah, sideways. all the images are next to one another.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is why I hate web design. I tested it in IE and it works fine here, and scales as it should.(at least down to the width of the banner anyway, which is 812) Home page images should be a 2x2 grid, the wolf and soldier on top and the alien and wip graphic on the bottom.

are the portfolio images stacked vertically they way they should be? or are they sideways too? I can't reproduce the problem...