Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    Congrats to everybody who got their items ingame in last update!
    Bit of a progress-I managed to get model compiled (hopefully) correctly and to show up in HLMV textured (unlike 2 days ago),but still when I want to open .mdl file in itemtest map,it just keeps ignoring it... -.-
    Not quite satisfied with shader,but at least it shows something now.

It also fails to take screenshot of item in HLMV.
    Any vets care to give me idea of what am I doing wrong,or show me some tuts for getting it to load in-game? I somehow feel Steampipe update fucked up a lot of things related to SDK (like changing Tf2 folder to common)...

If there's one thing I've learned as a noob, is that SDK and itemtest are buggy and unreliable.
    I go to the Import Tool, you can just select the model and the texture and the use the preview tool to see it on an in-engine character. Very handy.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2w2ik2w.jpg
    American style

34pnic4.jpg
    European (Egyptian?) style

Link to the mod;
    http://tf2mods.net/mod.php?id=686

Link to the submision:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159322593
  • Sexy Robot
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    PKSpark wrote: »

Oh we know that's in! badass

texture on the legs/shading is a bit harsh though
  • Voidoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid polycounter lvl 7
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    question: if you make a submission out of something from fan-canon that caught your interest, that nobody, not even the guy who came up with it, seems to have created a model of yet, how much of a collab would you consider it to be? essentially would it be the same as just someone posting his free idea like people often do, and you running with it?
  • Sketchie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketchie polycounter lvl 3
    I've improved the texture on the goggles, added a bit of subtle wear and tear to the brass and leather but now I can't get the damn in-game itemtest to work

VEV0vKb.png
  • EmAr
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    heinous wrote: »
    question: if you make a submission out of something from fan-canon that caught your interest, that nobody, not even the guy who came up with it, seems to have created a model of yet, how much of a collab would you consider it to be? essentially would it be the same as just someone posting his free idea like people often do, and you running with it?

My vote goes to it being fair game based on the workshop EULA, that being said if it is an actual concept piece for an item then seek permission from the creator.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    new item up:

Flies Like Eagle

paintable, 3 lod's, grenade slot misc

Didn't see your post earlier.

I like it, but I think the rows get a bit repetitive. I would keep the top 3 or 4 and then add more feathers or a dream catcher or something.

I'd agree with Kite here, just go for it unless they've said they want it to be an item.

Working on some gloves for a set I've been working on for Scout for a while now. Having some trouble with the rigging. I imported the new Falconer Glove for Sniper and copied the way it was rigged to the fingers since the .smd for the Scout seems to be off as per finger rigging. But when I view the gloves in the Importer tool Preview the tips of the fingers don't close all the way. My printscreen doesn't work(Unless someone knows of a 3rd party program that will work in game) so I can't get a screen grab. Anybody have any tips for delicate rigging? I haven't bothered with weight painting yet, do you guys use that?
    HGcc0Ne.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Juke, you're not the only one who's mentioned that so it is definitely getting rework a little.
    I might also try a v shaped pattern, that could break it up a bit too.

recently I have been rigging to several bones and am getting inconsistant result between rigs:
    Some rigs i have been able to put separate parts of one mesh onto several bones (chest/feet)
    Other rigs i have had to break a mesh into pieces so the feet were each separate and rigged to it's own bone.

Yesterday I was having issues with getting one mesh rigged across several bones. maybe i was putting 3 bones per vert and max is 2???
    ----

anyway, point being that multi bone rigs can be tricky.

Best to just decompile a new scoot mesh and rig to his hands imo. The skin will have the weights, just try to match up good. You'll need to have all the edges in the same place as the scouts hands anyway so they won't clip when they deform.

plus you'll need to use correct lod's.

For example, I had settings on all low on my laptop, so a high poly mesh won't even show up if there's a low it can swap with.

And most of the low lod characters don't even have fingers weighted to finger bones, they are on the hand bone. So they won't bend at all.

as far as painting weights i wouldn't, that's more for super high poly.

TF2 stuff is low enough you can just select and grow selections, etc.. I just drag around verts i want, use grow and shrink... With fingers you just have to zoom in and be careful.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Juke, you're not the only one who's mentioned that so it is definitely getting rework a little.
    I might also try a v shaped pattern, that could break it up a bit too.

recently I have been rigging to several bones and am getting inconsistant result between rigs:
    Some rigs i have been able to put separate parts of one mesh onto several bones (chest/feet)
    Other rigs i have had to break a mesh into pieces so the feet were each separate and rigged to it's own bone.

Yesterday I was having issues with getting one mesh rigged across several bones. maybe i was putting 3 bones per vert and max is 2???
    ----

anyway, point being that multi bone rigs can be tricky.

Best to just decompile a new scoot mesh and rig to his hands imo. The skin will have the weights, just try to match up good. You'll need to have all the edges in the same place as the scouts hands anyway so they won't clip when they deform.

plus you'll need to use correct lod's.

For example, I had settings on all low on my laptop, so a high poly mesh won't even show up if there's a low it can swap with.

And most of the low lod characters don't even have fingers weighted to finger bones, they are on the hand bone. So they won't bend at all.

as far as painting weights i wouldn't, that's more for super high poly.

TF2 stuff is low enough you can just select and grow selections, etc.. I just drag around verts i want, use grow and shrink... With fingers you just have to zoom in and be careful.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case so to make things easy I just scaled up the fingers and hand portion to make the glove. Then I copied the rigging from the Falconer glove. Weird thing is I can assign verts to bones, then go into the import tool to preview, go back to the .smd and the bone assignments will be all different. Specifically the bip_[finger]_0_L/R; It'll end up with the entire finger assigned to it.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Phaser Rave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some comedy and tragedy masks a long time ago, but the tris were far too many. I redid them, and now they're just right.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159626765
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159626400
    Both are intended to be two different styles of the same item. I separated them to get them both gold starred.
    mExgVDg.png
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you could use more tris on the eyes and less on the noses, and i would like to see that beehive get gold star too.
    kite212 wrote: »
    My vote goes to it being fair game based on the workshop EULA, that being said if it is an actual concept piece for an item then seek permission from the creator.
    Jukebox wrote: »

I'd agree with Kite here, just go for it unless they've said they want it to be an item.
    and thanks, i think you guys are right, besides it's probably safer to go by the workshop EULA anyway, i'm open to more opinion still.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some comedy and tragedy masks a long time ago, but the tris were far too many. I redid them, and now they're just right.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159626765
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159626400
    Both are intended to be two different styles of the same item. I separated them to get them both gold starred.
    mExgVDg.png

Definitely move some of the tris from the nose, or maybe the forehead curve, to the eye hole shapes. Those and the mouth are what stick out the mose, so define them best. You can look at the models for like lod6 of the game characters to see how you can define the nose using less tris. I've been working on a Halloween item where I took a Heavy head and reduced it down to about 300 tris, so it's possible.

For my glove, I threw in some edge loops around the knuckles and then spent about an hour or two just tweaking it so it would look right. It's hard to get something bulky around the hand and forearm and not getting weird deformations.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to 'Flies like Eagle'

I squeezed the beads closer together, that gave me room for 2 more rows (want a breastplate not a bib :) )

Modified the texture, the beads are in a V formation now (I think it helps break up the vertical) and I got rid of all the small rows of beads.

Also used the base beige instead of white for the 3rd bead color and tried some lesser used palette colors for the team paint.

Crits?
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to 'Flies like Eagle'

I squeezed the beads closer together, that gave me room for 2 more rows (want a breastplate not a bib :) )

Modified the texture, the beads are in a V formation now (I think it helps break up the vertical) and I got rid of all the small rows of beads.

Also used the base beige instead of white for the 3rd bead color and tried some lesser used palette colors for the team paint.

Crits?

Looks better, but I still think you should halve the number of rows, space them out a bit more, maybe make the beads bigger to look more like beads and less like rectangles that stretch across his chest. Then add something below the beads. Not to be harsh, my point is that it looks great up close but most of the game you're far away, and I think this would probably all run together from far away. Just my opinion.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya. I just think that half as many rows would look like a bib.
    i thought about hanging something too but when he crouches it kindof bunches up. The beads don't really show but something larger would.
  • Phaser Rave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely move some of the tris from the nose, or maybe the forehead curve, to the eye hole shapes. Those and the mouth are what stick out the mose, so define them best. You can look at the models for like lod6 of the game characters to see how you can define the nose using less tris. I've been working on a Halloween item where I took a Heavy head and reduced it down to about 300 tris, so it's possible.

For my glove, I threw in some edge loops around the knuckles and then spent about an hour or two just tweaking it so it would look right. It's hard to get something bulky around the hand and forearm and not getting weird deformations.
    Thanks!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the jug plastic could be slightly less vibrant, particularly the blue one.

ugh. i hate skinning and unwrapping. where should the seams be? how do i orient the pieces? which vertices are best aligned to each other? how big should i make each pieces? such a chore. /rant
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    the jug plastic could be slightly less vibrant, particularly the blue one.

Thanks for the feedback :icon60:

EDIT: grabbed some screenshots. I baked a normal map in addition to editing the diffuse:

6hg0.jpg

c9z0.jpg
  • PootyforNicky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another item

268x268.resizedimage

click the picture to go to the workshop page
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys' jigglebones work in the import tool preview? it gave me no errors, but nothing jiggles either. i did assign the correct vertices to jigglebones in blender and made sure the names of the bones match the qc.

also the vertices assigned to the jigglebones only show up correctly in LOD0. at LOD1 they shoot off to infinity...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah,i haven't had luck with jiggle bones either, someone a page back said they have seen them work 9not in import tool)

I have rigged them and imported with tool and no errors either. Pasted the jigglebone info in the qc section.

Then I opened itemtest and loaded item but don't see jiggle there either. I don't have any of my old jiggle code that I know worked so... :(
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you guys' jigglebones work in the import tool preview? it gave me no errors, but nothing jiggles either. i did assign the correct vertices to jigglebones in blender and made sure the names of the bones match the qc.

also the vertices assigned to the jigglebones only show up correctly in LOD0. at LOD1 they shoot off to infinity...

I haven't done anything with jigglebones yet but I know people have done it in the Import Tool despite it not showing. Even if it doesn't show as long as you have everything there correctly Valve should be able to use it.

Only thing I can think of is to make sure the bones the jiggle bone is attatched to is still there in the lower Lod. I know some bones disappear for lower ones.
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't done anything with jigglebones yet but I know people have done it in the Import Tool despite it not showing. Even if it doesn't show as long as you have everything there correctly Valve should be able to use it.

Only thing I can think of is to make sure the bones the jiggle bone is attatched to is still there in the lower Lod. I know some bones disappear for lower ones.

Is there a way to see the jigglebones in action? I would like to be able to adjust their constraints before publishing, but I won't get the numbers right if I can't see them in action.

Also, i think bip_spine_3 isn't going anywhere. The chain is currently bip_spine_3 to jiggle_base forking over to jiggle_left and jiggle_right. jiggle_left and jiggle_right vertices shoot off into infinity at LOD1, but everything attached to jiggle_base is correctly in place... i guess i have at least that to be thankful for.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to see the jigglebones in action? I would like to be able to adjust their constraints before publishing, but I won't get the numbers right if I can't see them in action.

Also, i think bip_spine_3 isn't going anywhere. The chain is currently bip_spine_3 to jiggle_base forking over to jiggle_left and jiggle_right. jiggle_left and jiggle_right vertices shoot off into infinity at LOD1, but everything attached to jiggle_base is correctly in place... i guess i have at least that to be thankful for.

I remember watching a youtube video where they mess with jigglebones in Model Viewer. Don't remember how they did though.
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember watching a youtube video where they mess with jigglebones in Model Viewer. Don't remember how they did though.

well, some development. i completed the import process using a placeholder LOD1 and backpack icon. then i started a private itemtest server and loaded the finished model to a bot. the jigglebones work there.

but not in the import tool preview. i wonder why. are you guys sure valve will receive the jigglebones?

i looked up jigglebones for a bit. according to the wiki "Jigglebones will be automatically frozen below a given framerate (45 fps by default), set by cl_jiggle_bone_framerate_cutoff." does anyone know if the import tool preview has a frame rate limit below 45? would that be the cause of lack of jigglebones?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$jigglebone

I figured the import tool was an extension of the model viewer so I don't know why jiggle bones don't seem to work in it, they always did in the viewer.

But jiggle bones don't show in character loadouts either.
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

just submitted something to the workshop, critique would be appreciated :)

FB9949F089F18BA5978B951B9D875AEE8E59EDBF

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160158225
  • DaveHam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time lurker, just made my 3rd ever item. Really happy with it, it's paintable and everything.

yzTqkMO.jpg?1

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160147333
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a new Submission complete(d)

Probably touch up the texture some, paintable???

The Air Moccasins:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160335457

I started them for the soly, but later realized his feet are still attached, the boot/weaps are just over them.

So Valve needs to give us foot groups for the soly!

So I rigged em to scoot too and probably demo. Would like to do them for medic also but not going through all that work again unless Valve wanted to split medics feet too.
  • nmarato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mattface wrote: »
    Hi

just submitted something to the workshop, critique would be appreciated :)

FB9949F089F18BA5978B951B9D875AEE8E59EDBF

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160158225

I really like the skull :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the skull is very cool but the hat is lacking.

Maybe having smooth groups go around the rim would help (that sharp edge isn't good).
    But that might take another loop of edges in it's middle to shade nice (polycount...)

But it really needs something else. A band at least, or something tieing the skull down.

Right now it looks like a nice skull dropped on an OK hat. There's gotta be something that ties it all togther and makes it a really nice complete item.
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the skull is very cool but the hat is lacking.

Maybe having smooth groups go around the rim would help (that sharp edge isn't good).
    But that might take another loop of edges in it's middle to shade nice (polycount...)

But it really needs something else. A band at least, or something tieing the skull down.

Right now it looks like a nice skull dropped on an OK hat. There's gotta be something that ties it all together and makes it a really nice complete item.

Thank you very much for the critique, I'll probably try to make the hat more interesting before I dive into other projects.

I did try to think of something to tie the skull down, it is just leaning on the hat currently, I'll go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with, maybe see if a nice bit of rope or barbed wire going around the edge.

Thank you very much for the critique very useful!

one last question, would it be best to just edit my existing workshop page with a new edited model, or start a new fresh workshop entry?

and nmarato thank you very much for the compliment! :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just update for the most part. There's a comment area (kindof hard to notice) that lets you specifically write in notes.

I usually put it in the description with a big 'UPDATE' or something so people will see it.
    @Jimmy,

I would just stick to the beta import tool. Forget about sdk hlmv. that's old news and if it has issues and you fight to get that to work then you gotta fight the new (required) import tool.

I have had no issues with the import tool not hiding hats. or not loading models from where they were put from the beta tool.

I haven't got jiggle bones to show that they are working in it either though.

but basically for the jiggles you need to find a bone in that source wiki that works for what you want and copy paste that code into the qc file.
    Then rename the bone to what ever you named yours.
    'jiggle_01' or whatever.

In Max you need to have the jiggle bones linked in whatever chain you have, then linked to the bip_head. skin and export...

Can't really say more than that as all that info is out there and i've yet to verify jiggles work with the tool (have heard they do, haven't seen proof)
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I need a TF2 themed beer bottle label. I'm currently kind of out of idea, any of you guys got some good ones?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got one for you Jukebox, hows 5% of sales sound :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mattface,

looked at the pic again and was thinking...
    If you want it multi-class, and you want to touch it up a bit why not make each unique.
    And you have 2 textures per hat so...

put skull on one tex, then have a different texture per class.

Like medic, make a headband and attach the skull on front like his mirror. Scoot could have a cow skull pendant... stuff like that. Every class gets a skull but each in his own way.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got one for you Jukebox, hows 5% of sales sound :)

Ha, maybe. Right now I've just got a generic placeholder. But I thought I could maybe do a Mike's Hard Combustible Lemonade or something to that effect, but with less copyright infringement.

Also, finally got something in the workshop. Although the picture quality is crap, and sometimes they don't work at all for me. Any of you guys not seeing some of the pictures in this:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160628001

Also, I took screenshots from the importer tool, since HLMV was acting weird on me. Would Source filmmaker be the best way to get good quality pictures? Didn't think they were too bad until it posted.
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mattface,

looked at the pic again and was thinking...
    If you want it multi-class, and you want to touch it up a bit why not make each unique.
    And you have 2 textures per hat so...

put skull on one tex, then have a different texture per class.

Like medic, make a headband and attach the skull on front like his mirror. Scoot could have a cow skull pendant... stuff like that. Every class gets a skull but each in his own way.

That sounds like a great idea, I'll see what I can do! Thanks a lot for the help! :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Juke,

I don't think the res is all that bad. You did zoom in good and it's a small object. Steam users complain about everything anyway so take that with a grain of salt.

I was just told that my moccasin's were a rip off of the tuethfort kickers (moccasins=cowboy boots, lol)

Anyway yeah, Source filmmaker will take better shots, you can have backgrounds/fog/whatever. I dl'ed last night and watched some vids (tf2blog has link). didn't see a vid for adding hats so I don't know how complicated the whole process is.

The comment on colors I think is right, try to desaturate a bit. Obviously you have some colors that aren't in the pallette like green, you could open textures from maps or go in maps, take a screenshot... then use those colors.
  • M@RviN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody, sorry if this problem has already been. In invisibility knife stays visible. How can I solve this problem?2013-07-16_00003.jpg
  • heinous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway yeah, Source filmmaker will take better shots, you can have backgrounds/fog/whatever. I dl'ed last night and watched some vids (tf2blog has link). didn't see a vid for adding hats so I don't know how complicated the whole process is.

The comment on colors I think is right, try to desaturate a bit. Obviously you have some colors that aren't in the pallette like green, you could open textures from maps or go in maps, take a screenshot... then use those colors.

you compile your hat so that the import tool creates a zip file. open that zip file. open the "game" folder. inside it are the materials and models folders. click and drag those into steamapps/common/sourcefilmmaker/game/usermod and choose to merge the folders if a prompt shows up. now run source filmmaker and add animation to a new model. in the search window make sure all mods is in the filter, hit rescan, and type the keywords for your hat.

and i agree with the saturation.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnks heinous, that could've been very difficult to figure out :)
  • DatGmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DatGmann null
    EBEB5FE2ACB9B5D36BEA0815391AEC26B2867572
    D5780B3468FE6A702E0AC1356B15BB7ACE75A434
    11C3A9BE9CA8F2F126EFBCE4CA8F513FB2B101DA
    Every class needs a fedora!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey no prob, good to see you are getting things going. Haven't tried a normal map lately, they prefer to not have them anyway. But the alpha of the normal is where spec goes IF paintable, if not it would be on the diffuse alpha.

You must have a burning hat that you over wrote because i could never get particles to work in itemtest.

I'll put this up for critiques before i wrap it up.

Never was much of a fan of the grodbort hair planes but it seemed like a good way to go on this one (as it's already established as acceptable in TF2).

Right now the high is at 822 tris so I definitely have a lot of room for adding more planes if needed. If I delete the backfaces it sits at 400 or so I'm good on the low poly looking alright.

unfortunately normal thief is crashing for me so I haven't been able to improve the flat planar shading yet.

What do you guys think (thinking of an all class for this one)
    edit-
    I haven't touched the texture on the feathers/bead wraps yet.
  • Jukebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey no prob, good to see you are getting things going. Haven't tried a normal map lately, they prefer to not have them anyway. But the alpha of the normal is where spec goes IF paintable, if not it would be on the diffuse alpha.

You must have a burning hat that you over wrote because i could never get particles to work in itemtest.

I'll put this up for critiques before i wrap it up.

Never was much of a fan of the grodbort hair planes but it seemed like a good way to go on this one (as it's already established as acceptable in TF2).

Right now the high is at 822 tris so I definitely have a lot of room for adding more planes if needed. If I delete the backfaces it sits at 400 or so I'm good on the low poly looking alright.

unfortunately normal thief is crashing for me so I haven't been able to improve the flat planar shading yet.

What do you guys think (thinking of an all class for this one)
    edit-
    I haven't touched the texture on the feathers/bead wraps yet.

I'd put some variances in the planes. Make some longer, shorter, skinny, fat, whatever. Something about the side view just seems to plain to me in terms of the planes. But yeah, I'd definitely go for quantity on those to get it looking good.

On a side note, which tutorials have you guys used to learn how to get renders in Source Filmmaker? Right now the only decent one I've found is the almost hour and a halfs worth of Valve's tutorial. My internet sucks so it's a pain to sit around and watch it minute by minute. And the guy just seems to cover stuff that doesn't seem relevant to me right now.